Coaching Vacancies

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
It's time to put a burr under the saddle of some of these cowboys!

From now until the end of the year, teams searching for new coaches will be beating the bushes looking for candidates for head coaches at Division I schools and lower.

I will be observing to see if any school tries to get Mac or O'Brien for one of these jobs. Personally, I doubt it, but it is possible O'Brien could merit a head coaching job at a smaller school. I don't see a chance of Mac getting a coordinator's job or a head coaching job.

"Ridem Cowboys"!

I will concede, O'Leary might get another look, possibly from up North. At this time, it is impossible to tell for sure if O'Leary is a good or bad coach. This time around, he will be coaching without Friegden, so he can be judged pretty much on his success or failure at the next school.

I will be an interested fly on the wall waiting to see if he is selected for one of the vacancies and to see if he succeeds. I hope he succeeds, but my gut feeling tells me he might not. Anyway, it will let me know whether my hunch was right or wrong about his coaching abilities.

wink.gif

you're kidding me about ole coach Mac right Ahso?

surely Alabama would go begging and pleading to him to lead their program back into the glory days. Mac at alabama is a lock .. no?

Even if alabama cannot have him .. surely Baylor would go on their hands and knees and beg him to head their program .. they are in Texas after all and now that ole Mac has been there for a year .. he must have built a great recruiting base because he is a great coach and a great recruiter.

I cannot believe that Texas A&M hired Franchione and did not go for Mac. What were they thinking Ahso?

Dadgummit .. there must be a Div 1 program who can realize Beeware's astute and awesome admiration of Mac and snatch Mac away from Texas.

Mac, after all has a 1 - 0 record as head coach in a brilliant victory over #9 BCS Stanford

Coach Mac is an outstanding coach.
Much better than this totally over his head coach we have now.

yes yes beeware .. he most certainly is ..

i cannot believe that he is still in the college ranks as a position coach ..

forget about college HC positions .. surely after the pro season is over .. the bears will spurn Juaoron (sp) and go after Mac.

Surely the Lions HC position will be open too .. ole Mac would do wonders with Harrington under his tutelage.

The Bengals would be looking for a HC too and what better choice than to go after good ole Mac to turn their program around.

But wait just a minute .. Dave Campo is gone from Dallas after this year .. and wow .. with ole Mac as HC and Quincy Carter as franchise quarterback .. America's team will be back baybee

This thread is going nowhere. I wouldn't be surprised if GOL picked up a ride somewheres. You?

Gnats, he will probably get a hard look from many of the schools with vacancies. I have not heard any more about the coach at Syracuse. I figured George would be a good fit for that program.

I seriously doubt he would be chosen by Alabama. I believe they prefer some of their own, however, they did select Franchione, so who knows. If Franchione does leave they might not go after anyone else outside their own past.

They might give Tommy Bowden another look, because of his past records at Tulane, his Dad, and his so-so record at Clemson.

I do think O'Leary will be given a serious look somewhere.

wink.gif

I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to sell GOL to a search committee, the guy is badly damaged goods;yeah, I know he did a good job here and left the pantry well stocked to raid for winter but that is history . John McWhorter, Mac, is a good and decent man who seems to be a career position coach, whether that is fair and an optimum use of his abilities or not;however let's not belittle or mock him, even unintentionally, by trying to rile BW, Mac deserves better than that from us. Btw, if I misinterpreted anyone's post re: this matter I will apologize in advance!

drinking.gif

i'm sorry i hijacked this thread ..

love to fish for beeware and wow he bit too .. how sweet is that?

i'd love to see O'Leary picked up by some school. any school that wants a clean, disciplined football team will do well to go after him.

don't know if he'll get picked up though. would love to see him coach another team against Tech. that would be an intruiging match up.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

i'd love to see O'Leary picked up by some school. any school that wants a clean, disciplined football team will do well to go after him.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">He's been mentioned on the Army board. They are really p.o.ed over there.

It is interesting that a lot of the Mac bashers wanted Jimmy Robinson for the job. Jimmy Robinson has never been a head coach or even a coordinator at any level. The fact is a lot of times the circumstances fall right for a coach. Would Larry Coker be a head coach right now if he hadn't got the Miami job? By this kind of logic, Ron Vanderlinden would be considered a better head coach than Friedgen because he was hired over Friedgen in 1997. I always thought the Tech situation was similar to Miami's and not North Carolina's. Mack Brown was the driving force behind the recruiting at UNC. While at Tech and Miami, there was a solid staff of recruiters with the head coach being the CEO and coming in to close the deal from time to time. We will never know what would have happened this year if Mac had been the head coach. Would Hollings have moved to running back? Would Bilbo or Camp have played more? I think recruiting would have been better but this year will be a better indication of how Gailey recruits. Just because no other school will hire Mac doesn't mean he wouldn't have been succesful as a head coach.

Back