COFH on front page of ESPN

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like
Better known as: Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate
This year's game: Saturday, Noon, ABC
All-time record: 67-41-5 (Georgia Leads)
Current streak: Georgia, 3 (and 16 of the past 19)

Wildest on-field moment: In the 1999 edition in Atlanta, the score was tied at 48 with 13 seconds to go. Georgia had the ball at Tech's 2-yard line on first-and-goal. Instead of kicking a field goal to potentially win the game, Georgia coach Jim Donnan elected to go for a touchdown. Jasper Sanks took a handoff, dove for the goal line and -- depending on which side you were on -- either fumbled or was down before losing the ball. TV replays showed Sanks was down, but it was before the introduction of instant replay rules. So, the only thing that mattered was the officials ruled Sanks fumbled the ball, and Georgia Tech took possession at its 1-yard line. The game went into overtime, and Tech's Luke Manget kicked a field goal to give the Yellow Jackets a controversial 51-48 victory. The next week, then-SEC commissioner Roy Kramer suspended referee Al Ford and his six-man crew from working the SEC championship game.

Wildest off-field moment: The Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets don't agree about much of anything, including the all-time series record. Georgia says it has a 68-39-5 advantage; the Yellow Jackets claim 41 victories in the series. The dispute lies in games played during World War II, in 1943 and 1944, during which Georgia Tech won by a combined score of 92-0. Many of the Bulldogs' best players from their 1942 national championship enlisted in the war, so there wasn't a single returning starter. In fact, most of Georgia's players were under the age of 18 and weren't eligible for the military draft. Conversely, Georgia Tech benefited from having an on-campus Navy V-12 Program, from which it was able to recruit football players, as well as a Navy flight school, which attracted players from other schools. Georgia still distinguishes the disputed games in its media guide and record books with asterisks. -- Mark Schlabach

Quote that defines the rivalry: "Lose to Tech, you don't put up a Christmas tree. That's my rule." -- Erk Russell, whose family apparently went without the holiday tradition only four times in his 17 seasons as Georgia's defensive coordinator from 1964 to 1980.

rain

Dodd-Like
Better known as: Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate
This year's game: Saturday, Noon, ABC
All-time record: 67-41-5 (Georgia Leads)
Current streak: Georgia, 3 (and 16 of the past 19)

Wildest on-field moment: In the 1999 edition in Atlanta, the score was tied at 48 with 13 seconds to go. Georgia had the ball at Tech's 2-yard line on first-and-goal. Instead of kicking a field goal to potentially win the game, Georgia coach Jim Donnan elected to go for a touchdown. Jasper Sanks took a handoff, dove for the goal line and -- depending on which side you were on -- either fumbled or was down before losing the ball. TV replays showed Sanks was down, but it was before the introduction of instant replay rules. So, the only thing that mattered was the officials ruled Sanks fumbled the ball, and Georgia Tech took possession at its 1-yard line. The game went into overtime, and Tech's Luke Manget kicked a field goal to give the Yellow Jackets a controversial 51-48 victory. The next week, then-SEC commissioner Roy Kramer suspended referee Al Ford and his six-man crew from working the SEC championship game.

Wildest off-field moment: The Bulldogs and Yellow Jackets don't agree about much of anything, including the all-time series record. Georgia says it has a 68-39-5 advantage; the Yellow Jackets claim 41 victories in the series. The dispute lies in games played during World War II, in 1943 and 1944, during which Georgia Tech won by a combined score of 92-0. Many of the Bulldogs' best players from their 1942 national championship enlisted in the war, so there wasn't a single returning starter. In fact, most of Georgia's players were under the age of 18 and weren't eligible for the military draft. Conversely, Georgia Tech benefited from having an on-campus Navy V-12 Program, from which it was able to recruit football players, as well as a Navy flight school, which attracted players from other schools. Georgia still distinguishes the disputed games in its media guide and record books with asterisks. -- Mark Schlabach

Quote that defines the rivalry: "Lose to Tech, you don't put up a Christmas tree. That's my rule." -- Erk Russell, whose family apparently went without the holiday tradition only four times in his 17 seasons as Georgia's defensive coordinator from 1964 to 1980.
Once again: I’ve never seen photo or video evidence that Jasper was down
I saw him take a strangely deep handoff and go into the pile- if the knee was anywhere it was on another players body
That ball was in Young’s hands so quick, he had to have fumbled as he went into pile
Anyone have video evidence or seen video evidence that he was down
In all these years I haven’t

Last edited:

WreckJunkie

Varsity Lurker
Amal Shah on Full Ride, just said the dwags win, 55-3 or 56-0. Something like that.
Complete beat down.

The Jacket

The Coat
I saw him take a strangely deep handoff and go into the pile- if the knee was anywhere it was on another players body
That ball was in Young’s hands so quick, he had to have fumbled as he went into pile
You haven't seen it because it doesn't exist. It was a clean fumble and only a fanbase as moronic as the one in Athens would ever claim otherwise.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Can our whole team get like Covid or something? Plague? Ebola? Andromeda Strain? Anybody? Buehler??

erikill

Jolly Good Fellow
Can our whole team get like Covid or something? Plague? Ebola? Andromeda Strain? Anybody? Buehler??
Maybe a new strain of COVID is being engineered in the lab? So if Collns has COVID who do we get to coach on Sat?

BigChooch0405

Varsity Lurker

It doesn't matter. If you're too stupid to not kick a field goal from the two yard line with 13 seconds left in a tie game....

The Jacket

The Coat
It doesn't matter. If you're too stupid to not kick a field goal from the two yard line with 13 seconds left in a tie game....
Remember the year before, when Donnan turned down the Oklahoma job and promptly lost at home to the unstoppable force wearing #14?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Yea, the whole "shows he was down" is gagger's speaking.

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
That is not the quote that defines the rivalry.

THWG is.

The Jacket

The Coat
Yea, the whole "shows he was down" is gagger's speaking.
Part of the trouble came from Brent Musberger's drunk ass yelling "zomg they put it down" on the television broadcast and giving the idiots the idea that they had something to complain about - again - other than the fact that their coach was an absolute ööööing buffoon who couldn't scheme his way to anything but a few dozen counts of fraud, Carter was the third best quarterback on the field that day, and Jasper Sanks couldn't hold on to anything but his feelings even if you paid him, which they were.

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
Granted we are living in the days of 4k and not 240p or whatever most TVs we’re back then

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Part of the trouble came from Brent Musberger's drunk ass yelling "zomg they put it down" on the television broadcast and giving the idiots the idea that they had something to complain about - again - other than the fact that their coach was an absolute ööööing buffoon who couldn't scheme his way to anything but a few dozen counts of fraud, Carter was the third best quarterback on the field that day, and Jasper Sanks couldn't hold on to anything but his feelings even if you paid him, which they were.
Mainly, UGAg deserved to lose for not taking a knee on the play, calling a T.O. with 2 seconds left, and kicking and XP distance FG to win it. It was first down and back then the clock didn't start until the snap and the mutts had the timeout in their pocket. It was dumbassery by Donnan. Easy win given away.

It was a bit of payback for the horrible, horrible flag in 1997.