College Football Hall of Fame Awards Press Conference on ESPN+ today at 12pm EST | 9am PST

"Capitalizing on his patented spread option offense – one of the most innovative offensive schemes in all of college football, Paul Johnson took three programs to the top of their respective conferences and the national rankings, winning two national titles and five conference championships and making 18 bowl appearances," said NFF President & CEO Steve Hatchell. "We are thrilled to honor him at Bobby Dodd Stadium as a member of the 2023 College Football Hall of Fame Class."

At Georgia Tech from 2008 to 2018, he went 83-60 during 11 seasons, and the Yellow Jackets appeared in the final national rankings in 2008 (No. 22), 2009 (No. 13), and 2014 (No. 8). He led Georgia Tech to nine bowl games, including two New Year's Six bowls (Orange 2009, 2014). The Yellow Jackets appeared in three ACC Championship games (won 2009 title) during his tenure and won the ACC Coastal Division four times. His Georgia Tech teams led the ACC in rushing offense every year, and he was named ACC Coach of the Year three times (2008, 2009, 2014). He is the fourth-winningest coach at Georgia Tech behind John Heisman, William Alexander, and Bobby Dodd, who are all in College Football Hall of Fame. He coached two of nine total 10-win seasons and two of five 11-win seasons in Georgia Tech history. Johnson was recognized as the CBS National Coach of the Year in 2008.

FddMMR6UUAAPu70.jpg

Not the WTF is that gif. But .... you know.... until I can find it, this is gonna have to do.

Thanks for posting that. He owns some of the most memorable GT games of all time. He's really only the 2nd GT coach in my time that I thought could not be outcoached - Ross and his staff being the other. Dodd and his predecessors were before my time.

I just don't think there was anyone in the game who could "out Xs and Os" Paul Johnson. Just by chance, I had the privilege of seeing all Hawai'i home games when CPJ was the OC there in 1992. The Hawai'i v BYU game (LaVell Edwards was still the BYU coach) was the best football game I have ever seen in person outside of BDS.

Happy for the guy. He acted like he didn't care what anybody thought but I think he actually cared a lot about what people thought. Maybe now, he can acknowledge the respect of his peers.

Didya notice when he talked about how other people didn't like playing his offense, you could hear Richt chime in, "I can attest to that"?

FWIW, Richt's interview is worth a listen to. He damn near broke down at the end. Yeah, he's a Mutt and a Da U guy. But it's a good glimpse into him as well - I met him at a FCA thing in deep southwest Georgia a couple of years ago.

Didya notice when he talked about how other people didn't like playing his offense, you could hear Richt chime in, "I can attest to that"?

FWIW, Richt's interview is worth a listen to. He damn near broke down at the end. Yeah, he's a Mutt and a Da U guy. But it's a good glimpse into him as well - I met him at a FCA thing in deep southwest Georgia a couple of years ago.

I wondered who it was that said that. Nice.

That was a good speech. You can tell the battle with Parkinson's is a tough one by looking at him. I've had family with it and wouldn't wish that on anyone. If ever there was a UGA coach that I respected, it would be this guy.

Back