College Presidents

LLCoolJacket

Damn Good Rat
Remember when they were incognito when it came to athletics?
I think I know that it all changed when the money got huge.
Talk about power! Who does Clough report to, and how is he graded?

Was M. Adams the first university president to throw his weight around athletics publicly to the degree he has?

(Its apparent that Braine is a fixture as long as King Clough is around)

Again, you and I agree. Clough is in power because the Board of Regents, mostly Georgia hacks, laugh their ass off by keeping him in power which equates to Tech being down. It's even funnier on how he goes about doing it.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Again, you and I agree. Clough is in power because the Board of Regents, mostly Georgia hacks, laugh their ass off by keeping him in power which equates to Tech being down. It's even funnier on how he goes about doing it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Alright, suggest a college president who should take over Tech.

Question, does anyone know if the Board of Regents has ever listened to the alumni as to the hiring or firing of a President at any of the State Universities?

Is it possible to put pressure on the Board of Regents to make a change because of sports.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Question, does anyone know if the Board of Regents has ever listened to the alumni as to the hiring or firing of a President at any of the State Universities?

Is it possible to put pressure on the Board of Regents to make a change because of sports.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm pretty sure if that were even REMOTELY possible then Michael Adams would be out at UGA.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If possible, it would be really sad.

It's not all about sports. It's his high handed attitude. I don't care if the topic is who is cutting the grass, anyone who sends out letters trying to lecture or for the express purpose of blowing off steam and creating enemies out of those expressing an opionion doesn't need to be in a position such as President.

So Father W, if all this bee true would our only power bee to withhold donations? Roll Call, Council, A-T? Would clough's little ears perk up?

Probably, but in reality the bigwhigs are few, the vast majority of people I know are not fat wallet types, but bleed white and gold. Empty seats over a 2-3 year spread will be the only way the message is sent, not a pow-wow from a power group. This year, our seats were filled with UGA,Auburn, Clemson so the numbers will be skewed, and Braine can brag about attendance being up.

Clough? He tolerates athletics but doesn't care enough to have an opinion one way or the other.

No, this is going to get alot worse than 39-3 or 51-7 before it gets better.

The regime in will have to build from the basement up and it may take 3-5 years to get us back to respectability where we were with George O'Leary - remember, VA Tech and Miami come in so even throwing Samford in there doesn't help a whole lot.

FW, I can't argue that the way Clough goes about things leaves a lot to be desired. I personally blame him for flunkgate because from my experience working at a university I don't think the changes we put in place after O'leary left could have originated with the AA. Those kinds of moves are academic driven, either the Pres, or provost of some other academic officer had to have started the process. In any case Clough would have had to support it.

But be that as it may, I don't think he's anti-sports. If he were, why did he get so involved with the expansion efforts? I just think he doesn't understand the impact his actions have on our ability to compete or how important football is to Tech alums/fans.

NCJacket:

Believe it or not, the academic changes were about "money" and "control" - all initiated by David Braine. (Think about the stupid money raising efforts that Dave is allowing out of the GTAA - money, monet, money ,and screw the reputation of the school). It was one of those brilliant concepts, one in a series of poorly planned, brilliant concepts, "I gotta' idea - we can cut some costs out the program, and do away with those ties to the previous coaches", kind of thought process. And hey Wayne, by the way, this is what we need to do, 'cause we've been spending too much money over here! And remember, Wayne follows Braine's lead when it comes to GTAA matters - it's a flaw in his management style.

I understand your position on the University process, and GT has not violated that process in any way - because Wayne Clough "has allowed" Braine to misguide the academic portion of the program.

For the record - you and I, and the rest of the Tech community, "would not believe" the amount of money that "has just been allotted" to academics inside the GTAA!!!! It is phenominal, it's a complete realignment of study structure, Student Athlete monitoring, study facilities, and staffing.

Wayne Clough is covering his mistake, (that would be David Braine), while David Braine his covering his mistake, (ignoring the intensity of academics at Tech).

The good thing out of all of this - Jim Stevens, good 'ol #11 in your program guide, the Academic Director for the GTAA, is strong arming reform and improvement for Student Athletes in the entire program.

David Braine's stupidity has caused a huge expense, but the irony of the situation is - our own people, our Alumni, Jim Stevens and Wayne Clough, are forcing Braine to make things right for the school, for the athletes, and for the reputation of the Institution. I like the outcome - we fix it with our intelligence, no matter how dumb Dave gets.

What you just read is true - and you will not be hearing about these changes in the press until the grade eligiblity issue is noticeably improved - then it will be aggressively pushed into the public.

The second floor of the Edge Center is being converted to a complete and well staffed "Study Lab for Student Athletes". Big bucks, coaches being moved out to other locations in the athletic complex - the image and the outcome will be dynamic for Georgia Tech's Athletic program. Smiling now?? I am - and I have to laugh when I think of how this all came about - you have to love our tenacity as a collection of well educated Tech People.

What is amazing is how much we wait till things are busted then go back and say we are sorry and we fix this etc.

Should have had them ready to play.

We used to have multiple classrooms, tutors, resources, tracking etc. under Homer Rice's Total Person program. Somehow over the years we must have decided to change things, only to apologize and start over.

Back