Come off the ledge....

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
I didnt watch the 2nd half becasue well ......... I'm not totally crazy. Did Clemson go for it on 4th down up 50 - the b*******sterds if true. I always liked Dabbo but this is ridiculous. Did GT quit? I think they did - when you know they are going to run the ball, you should be able to load the box up and stop it. Both teams are to blame but it is totally unacceptable for Clemson and GA Tech. Piss on Clemson for doing this. GT needs new coaching if It doesn't get better. Period.
The problem for GT was Clemson simply kept running their offense so loading the box wasn’t an option. And that offensive system kept exploiting us whether it was 1st stringers or 4th stringers. We kept running our offense as well which due to talent differential led to a minute thirty per drive then we’d give them the ball back. The score was a function of both teams running their systems yet the talent was lopsided. I had no problem with it. If Lawrence gets hurt their backups got some work. And our offense got many reps against a top defense.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
The problem for GT was Clemson simply kept running their offense so loading the box wasn’t an option. And that offensive system kept exploiting us whether it was 1st stringers or 4th stringers. We kept running our offense as well which due to talent differential led to a minute thirty per drive then we’d give them the ball back. The score was a function of both teams running their systems yet the talent was lopsided. I had no problem with it. If Lawrence gets hurt their backups got some work. And our offense got many reps against a top defense.
Going for it on fourth down is what crossed the line for me. I have never seen any team do that with a huge lead. Continuing to throw deep in the second half was certainly questionable.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Us loading the box, but failing to stop the run, only opened up passing zones--which Lawrence and his receivers were able to exploit.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Some here are overstating the implications of this loss based on the margin of victory. To use an engineering analogy, offense in football can be like a threshold function. If your team's offense can outmatch the defense by enough in any way, meeting a threshold, you can score on almost every possession. It doesn't necessarily mean your offense is way better or your coaches way better--you might be just enough better to be unstoppable.

Think of the Louisville game in Paul Johnson's last year. We scored 66 points, and scored on ALL 9 POSSESSIONS of the game except the last that ended the game. (If Clemson had scored with the same efficiency Saturday, they would've put up *111* points on us, a Half Cumberland!) Were we that much better in 2018 than Louisville, that we scored on every possession and put up 66? I think if they'd had a couple stud DLs, the complexion of that game would've been different.

The best measure of your team is wins and losses against decent teams. We'll know where we stand not from this game but from our record at the end of the season.
I think something that can be added to this is the performance of the offensive and defensive lines prolly have the largest influence on where that threshold lies. If the defensive line can get through the offensive line straight up, no other rushers or blitzes, there isn't going to be much the offense can accomplish. If the offensive line can easily push around and block the defensive line, there isn't going to be much the offense Can't do.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
People never realize that. Half of Clemson's team will be in the NFL someday. All of an NFL team's team is in the NFL NOW.
not a single member of Clemson's secondary could cover any NFL WR2. WR1s would catch 200 yds of passes. The elite QBs would throw for 600 yards+.

Every NFL OL would carve stupid holes in Clemson's DL. A guy like Derrick Henry would rush for 400 yards if allowed to.

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
not a single member of Clemson's secondary could cover any NFL WR2. WR1s would catch 200 yds of passes. The elite QBs would throw for 600 yards+.

Every NFL OL would carve stupid holes in Clemson's DL. A guy like Derrick Henry would rush for 400 yards if allowed to.
And that doesn't even take into account the sophistication of the NFL offenses and defenses. Let Clemson's OL try to pick up NFL blitzes.