Comments from Vandy and Nashville

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
What a beautiful weekend to travel to Nashville. While it rained in Chattanooga and points south, Nashville had great weather the entire weekend. Friday night was spent on Broadway and 2nd Ave. Live music in every nook and cranny. Very clean and very safe city. No bums or punks. Locals and visitors pack the streets for good nightlife atmosphere. Saturday morning was good for sightseeing, and then back downtown for more music/bar hopping. Stayed in the Vanderbilt Embassy Suites, so we took the shuttle over to the stadium at about ten after 5. Shuttle drops us off at the main stadium gate, and if I didnt know the time of the game, I would have sworn that Vandy was playing an away game this weekend. It was the deadest place I have ever seen in all my days of going to college football games.
There were a few folks here and there. A few tailgaters in a nearby parking lot, but only a few. It seemed that more tech fans were around the stadium than Vandy fans, but with everyone wearing yellow, you had to read hats upclose to tell who was for who.
Our group decides to go on in and watch the warmups and soak in the beautiful evening sunset. The skies were incredibly colorful and the temp was in the upper 60's. When we get to our seats around 5:30(kickoff was at 6, Nashville time), there were maybe 2 or 3 thousand people in their seats. The small stadium and smaller crowd reminder me of a high school game. It was very quiet and even peaceful in the stadium. Just before kickoff, the stands were still very, very empty...maybe 10,000 folks, with Tech fans numbering 3 or 4 thousand. Tech was well represented for a smallish school with a 1-3 record. Vandy's small band was on the field for the pregame show, and the announcer and cheerleaders are trying to get the small crowd "pumped up". Nothing happened. It was sad. Painful to watch. It was worst than a high school game, because there is excitment at a high school game. This was more like a national chess club jamboree.
Vandy apparently has the same kind of "Club Seating" scam that Tech is trying to shove down our throats. Their alumni chairback seats were very thin between the 30's. Made me curse Braine all the way up in Nashville.
Game gets started and looks like Tech is going to take care of business, but as time wore on, we make more and more bad or stupid plays. The few Vandy fans actually start to watch the game. Some actually begin to cheer a little bit. It was like watching someone come out of a coma.
By the 4th quarter, the Vandy folks are starting to believe that they just might beat Ga. Tech. The few students in attendance are on their feet. Their tiny band is tooting their horns. And their die-hard, tortured fans are shaking their black (yes black) shakers. By the end of the 4th quarter, I had heard just about everything screamed about Gailey, and Gailey's mother, from the surrounding Tech fans. Some must have been really drunk, because they were hollering to put Suggs in. It was a pathetic game to behold. It was back to looking like a high school game again. Penalties, poor execution, poor blocking...poor play and coaching all around. It was going to come down to whoever had the ball last, and who could kick a field goal to end the misery. And that is how regulation ended. But poor old Vandy stepped on its weiner one last time, allowing a low kick to be blocked by the entire Tech line.
Freshman Ball, who looked horrible most of the night, got the job done in overtime, probably ignoring the called play and taking matters into his own hands. Tech wins, Tech wins, Tech wins....poor Vandy
You should have seen the looks on the Vandy pain-seekers as they left the stadium. There is not a more wretched group of people in the South. It hurt to see these people leave the stadium. It reminded me of Tech fans in a small way, but greatly magnified. Why do they do it? Their love of school damns them.
Tech should have lost this game, and poor Vandy deserved to win it.
Tech will lose most of their games from here. Maybe win 1 or 2 more. They are thin, and have lost focus. Gailey's mom needs to stay as far away from the stadium as possible.
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:

Freshman Ball, who looked horrible most of the night, got the job done in overtime, probably ignoring the called play and taking matters into his own hands. Tech wins, Tech wins, Tech wins....poor Vandy

Tech will lose most of their games from here. Maybe win 1 or 2 more.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">spoken like a true "cynic". Patrick Nix suggested that play, Gailey called it, it was an option for Ball, Ball read the defense and executed the play.

It's really amusing when "cynics" like you write the team off.

Coleman Rudolph, Beau Bock, Barbara Streisand's Ghost ..

LOL

I guess I have much more faith in our boys than most on this board, but I truly believe we can win MORE than two more games (the obligatory UNC and Duke wins most of you think we'll take).

The funny thing about this game is that you can't predict from week to week what will happen. Who would have thought after the AU and FSU games that we'd look like we have the past two weeks?? Who would have thought we'd play as well as we did against AU and FSU??

I for one have faith that the coaches and players will regroup and win MORE than two more games.

Just to clarify, MOST of you folks didn't think we'd win more than 4 before the season, right??

I BEElieve we will.

PCB, were you able to find a place to watch the game down there? The Gameplan map looked like it would be available for you

ylojk8, that was not an option play Ball scored on. It was a naked bootleg.

rammsting, in the postgame interview reggie said it was his choice to hand it to PJ or pull it for the boot...looks like he made the right decision!

You could watch it on ESPN's Gameplan package on DirecTV for $14.95 IF you weren't in the state of Georgia. HOW FREAKING STUPID WAS THAT?

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone Saturday night berating 3 different poor souls from DirecTV about that decision. If you did live in Georgia, it was ComCast or nothing. Oh, and if you do have ComCast, the game will be replayed Tuesday night at 8 or 8:30, I forget which.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:

Tech will lose most of their games from here. Maybe win 1 or 2 more.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">spoken like a true "cynic". Patrick Nix suggested that play, Gailey called it, it was an option for Ball, Ball read the defense and executed the play.

It's really amusing when "cynics" like you write the team off.

Coleman Rudolph, Beau Bock, Barbara Streisand's Ghost ..

LOL
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And what in this game makes the cynics look wrong? Coleman even predicted GT to win 30-17 on air.

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:

And what in this game makes the cynics look wrong? Coleman even predicted GT to win 30-17 on air.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">lol .. you cynics are never wrong ever.

The same Coleman who said we couldn't beat Awbern with 15 men on the field? Well, what were we thinking going against Coleman and not scoring 30?

Originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white:
You could watch it on ESPN's Gameplan package on DirecTV for $14.95 IF you weren't in the state of Georgia. HOW FREAKING STUPID WAS THAT?

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone Saturday night berating 3 different poor souls from DirecTV about that decision. If you did live in Georgia, it was ComCast or nothing. Oh, and if you do have ComCast, the game will be replayed Tuesday night at 8 or 8:30, I forget which.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's the way it's supposed to be..
I couldn't watch FSU-DOOK on gameplan because it's PPV in the state of Florida.

Supply and Demand....

No, Our eyes don't lie to us! I asked if anyone saw more than one (1) innovative play and of course not one (1) no not one (1) has come forward and said x play on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down was innovative. So tell me about CCG and his great play calling. It was Nix who came up with the play not CCG. It's his job to send in the play but Nix was the prime instruement in that play NOT CCG.

So basically Nix did his job and recommended a good play that CCG agreed with and put it in to RB?

You're RIGHT! The sky IS falling.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
It's his job to send in the play but Nix was the prime instruement in that play NOT CCG.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
Originally quoted by Chan Gailey

ON PLAY CALLING IN OT

We said all along we thought the play was there, but I give credit to Patrick Nix (assistant coach-quarterbacks and running game coordinator). He's the one who said let's give that a shot and we did.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">yes, Nix said that let's give it a shot and Gailey did. Nix is the running game co-ordinator along with QB coach.

no there were no innovations in our offense. it's really base set and at most times thoroughly predictable.

i'll fess up, in overtime on our first play i saw the handoff to PJ and i went here we go but suddenly reggie after the fake hand off starts running towards the end zone and i'm going nuts, screaming, shouting. that one innovative play won the game for us.

so .. how's tailgating with MsTA going for you OldFoggy?

It was a great call, by Nix and Gailey, great execution by players. It WAS a bootleg[ this is nitpicking ], but the purpose of the play is to make defence think it will be a handoff or sprint option. Vandy bought it, so it worked to perfection.

Originally posted by rammsting:
It was a great call, by Nix and Gailey, great execution by players. It WAS a bootleg[ this is nitpicking ], but the purpose of the play is to make defence think it will be a handoff or sprint option. Vandy bought it, so it worked to perfection.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">yes it was a bootleg but it was an option play.

reggie had the option to either hand the ball off to PJ or perform the bootleg.

it wasn't simply a fake handoff naked bootleg, it was reggie's option to go for it or go for the handoff to PJ based on his read of the defense.

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
No, Our eyes don't lie to us! I asked if anyone saw more than one (1) innovative play and of course not one (1) no not one (1) has come forward and said x play on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down was innovative. So tell me about CCG and his great play calling. It was Nix who came up with the play not CCG. It's his job to send in the play but Nix was the prime instruement in that play NOT CCG.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What exactly makes a play innovative?

Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by oldfoggy:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What exactly makes a play innovative?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I would be happy with perfect execution on boring, non-innovative plays. Exectuion from every position that is.

We have shot ourselves in the foot too much this year with the "vanilla" plays we do have. O-line has played horrible for the most part, receivecers dropped easy balls, Reggie has over thrown wide open recievers, and PJ takes 10 minutes to get to a hole. We might be mlore productive if the offense could learn to play as a team.

Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by oldfoggy:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What exactly makes a play innovative?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The forward pass was really innovative a long time ago.
Bobby Bowden was pretty innovative with the fumble-rooski.
I guess the quick-kick is pretty innovative as well.

I'm sure there are others I am missing???

Originally posted by chilidogking:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ParkinJacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What exactly makes a play innovative?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The forward pass was really innovative a long time ago.
Bobby Bowden was pretty innovative with the fumble-rooski.
I guess the quick-kick is pretty innovative as well.

I'm sure there are others I am missing???
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't think there's too much to "innovate" anymore.

Back