Comments from Vandy and Nashville

"Tech will lose most of their games from here. Maybe win 1 or 2 more."...Bobby Dodd's Ghost

How strange: are you a seer? a prognosticator, a negative fan, or a crappy negator?

"Tech will vs. Maybe" (see your post above)

As usual detractors try to cover their behinds: but their lingering stink proves they have just publicly s__t(!) again.

I watched the game on PPV. I don't think there was any possibility of a handoff. Tech had not run the play the entire game. The play starts the same way the 15 or so handoffs to PJ previously had. That is why it worked so well. ON an option, the QB goes the same direction as the blockers. On a naked bootleg, he goes in the opposite direction, hence the term "naked". He has no blockers. The success or failure of the play depends on whether the defence was fooled. I am going to watch the replay tomorrow on CSS to make sure I saw what I think I saw. In the excitement I could have missed something.

Originally posted by rammsting:
I watched the game on PPV. I don't think there was any possibility of a handoff. Tech had not run the play the entire game. The play starts the same way the 15 or so handoffs to PJ previously had. That is why it worked so well. ON an option, the QB goes the same direction as the blockers. On a naked bootleg, he goes in the opposite direction, hence the term "naked". He has no blockers. The success or failure of the play depends on whether the defence was fooled. I am going to watch the replay tomorrow on CSS to make sure I saw what I think I saw. In the excitement I could have missed something.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">you're talking about the option pitch when QB and the blockers go the same way and the QB has the "option" to either keep it to himself or pitch it to one of his "blockers" depending on how the defense reacts.

option simply means that the QB has to make a read and then execute an "option". there can be more than one option that the QB can have.

so reggie ball had the option to either execute the hand off or fake it and run with it on a naked bootleg .. naked without any blockers as you described.

reggie read the defense and "opted" to run out. that was the play. i saw it on PPV too by the way.

i'm a rookie at this. anyone with better football understanding here .. is how i understand it correct?

Ylo,

I understand what you are getting at, and in some layman's way of explaining it, yes you could call it an option.

However, it isn't really an option.

A real option has nothing to do with with deciding to handoff the ball or not. Reggies' decision to not hand off was made before the ball was snapped.

In a real option, the QB gets the play in motion and then must read the defense and specifically the Linbacker. At this point he decides what to do. The real option play is determined on what defender bites on the QB.

Back