Comparative defensive performance

Even though we are only 36th, it seems to me as an observer that 3rd down conversion has really improved!

We did relatively terrible vs Miami. Only South Florida and Savannah State did worse.

That one seemed to go off the rails late, didn't it? I was tracking it sporadically on my phone while driving through rural Utah, but it seemed like it was a botched XP away from being tied (at 24?) midway through the fourth, and then things got freaky. It's bad, but maybe it's not as bad as it looks?

JRjr

That one seemed to go off the rails late, didn't it? I was tracking it sporadically on my phone while driving through rural Utah, but it seemed like it was a botched XP away from being tied (at 24?) midway through the fourth, and then things got freaky. It's bad, but maybe it's not as bad as it looks?

JRjr

Especially when you consider we were about to go up 24-7 before VL fumbled it, I would agree that it got out of hand pretty quickly. Offense definitely did the defense zero favors in the 4th quarter (IIRC pick 6, pick, fumble).

I'll agree Roof was a good hire when Arron Murray is picking bits of bds turf out of his panties.

idiot.

Also CTR is the man -- he has this D fired up and I am loving all of the 4th down stops. 4th and goal on the 1 is something we own this year. I love it.

Even though we are only 36th, it seems to me as an observer that 3rd down conversion has really improved!

+1

The past few years the running joke in our section has been that our opponent has us just where they want us when they have a "Third and Long".

I know this is a comparative look at things but we have only played 2 teams in the top 50 of total O:

BYU 12th
Miami 38th
-----------
Duke 60
UNC 65
SYR 81
UVA 91
VT 101
PITT 103

I am willing to embrace Roof. I just need to see him against Clemson #13 and ugag #31 before i send him flowers and a box of chocolates.

I'm not so much concerned about SOS as I am pace of game. Our offense is so slow and methodical that it limits the number of possessions for both teams.

Even adjusting for things such as avg starting field position and number of drives per game would, in my opinion, clarify the picture a little bit.

Here's the defensive FEI. We're #33. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef2013.

Last year, we were #64.

Our offense doesn't limit the number of possessions that much, especially if we turn the ball over. We milk the play clock and stay inbounds, but I think the rest is exaggerated.

Here's the defensive FEI. We're #33. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef2013.

Last year, we were #64.

Our offense doesn't limit the number of possessions that much, especially if we turn the ball over. We milk the play clock and stay inbounds, but I think the rest is exaggerated.

The turnovers are the difference. If we could manage to keep the ball you'd see some crazy things the way our defense is playing.

Statistically, we're much better, though we haven't faced Clemson or UGA yet.

I'm more impressed with how rarely we seem clueless and out of position, and how much better the tackling has been. Last year we could barely even get the defense set if a team went into any kind of hurry-up, and Middle Tennessee State seemed to run wide receiver screens every other play and we had no clue how to stop it. There were also plenty of times last year when guys would shrug off 3-4 arm/shoulder tackles to score touchdowns against us. That hasn't been the case this year. There have been several instances this year when our guys looked like they were out for blood, against UVA especially.

But again, we haven't faced Clemson or UGA yet. I think Roof will do good things here. I just hope there's not a butthurt tsunami if the defensive output against these teams looks closer to the Miami game than the games against Pitt, Duke, Syracuse, etc.

Back