Congratulations James Butler...semi-finalist for Thorpe Award

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
Not bad for a guy who had zero starts and very little significant playing time coming into this year.

Free safety James Butler is one of 12 semifinalists announced Tuesday for the 2003 Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation's best college defensive back. Butler leads the ACC in interceptions with five, ranking ninth in the nation. He is Tech's third- leading tackler with 77, along with three tackles for loss, three fumbles forced, four pass breakups and one blocked field goal.

The 12 semifinalists for the Jim Thorpe Award are:

Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV, S, Jr.;
Josh Bullocks, Nebraska, S, So.;
James Butler, Georgia Tech, S, Jr.;
Jason David, Washington St. C, Sr.;
DeAngelo Hall, Virginia Tech, C, Jr.;
Keiwan Ratliff, Florida, C, Sr.;
Stuart Schweigert, Purdue, S, Sr.;
Derrick Strait, Oklahoma, C, Sr.;
Sean Taylor, Miami (Fla), S, Sr.;
Mark Walker, TCU, S, Jr.;
Corey Webster, LSU, C, Sr.;
Darrent Williams, OSU, C, Jr.

Three finalists will be selected November 25. The winner will be announced on ESPN's College Football Awards Show, broadcast from Disney World on December 11.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">http://ramblinwreck.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110403aab.html

That is some pretty good company he's listed with. I remember watching Ratliffe (UF) and thinking to myself, "Now that is a cover corner. Throw it his way, you taking a good chance at turning it over."

Now, this should work in our favor. If I was Butler, I would be on my tippy toes awaiting every opportunity to cash in on some more interceptions and possible run backs for TDs.

A few more good interceptions and exceptional plays on defense should push him further up the ladder.

Father Time

Back