Conservative Playcalling...

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
I'm echoing a little bit here regarding what DeanH, the BYU fan, said. He mentioned in his post that execution wasn't there. This is something I said last night int he chat room repeatedly.

Having grown up a big time Washington Redskins fan, I obviously was a massive Joe Gibbs fan.

Joe Gibbs always had solid (not allstar quality but solid) talent. He had the most bland offensive schemes in the world. He ran 3 receiver sets with one back (Just like we did last night) religiously. If Joe Gibbs ran ANYTHING other than a 1 back set with three WRs, then I'll be damned. He never did. His playcalling was predictable to. He ran on 1st down, ran on 2nd down, and passed on third down.

What Joe Gibbs had though was execution. The Skins always executed flawlessly. That's why Gibbs got away with running a conservative offense.

Gailey's offense last night looked like Gibbs, but without the execution. If you cannot get execution and you are limited to the number of plays because of inexperience. You better have to put your top players in position to make plays. We didn't do that. Reggie Ball needed to be playing out of the pocket.

So if Gailey is going to continue this conservative stuff, he better make sure his guys can execute it without question. Otherwise like a good college coach, he needs to recognize his playmakers and put them in a position to make big plays.

Back