Could we be forced into the Seattle Bowl?

jescho

Varsity Lurker
From what I have been reading the following looks to be the most likely bowl lineup:
FSU - BCS
Maryland - Gator
NC State - Peach (the main guy on the Peach bowl comm. played basketball at State)
UVA - Tangerine

Now if Clemson loses to USC and we beat UGA we will be 6-6 and 8-4 respectfully. NCAA requires that a bowl must select all teams with 7 or more wins before selecting a 6-6 team. Since Seattle picks after the Tangerine they would be forced to pick Tech.
Now I suppose we can decline, but how common is that?

You're not making sense.

We could get pushed to the Seatle Bowl if Clemson beats USC. Then UVa, Clemson and Tech will all have the requisite 7 wins.

If Clemson has 6 wins (ie they lose to USC) then they have to be the last team selected and go to the Seatle Bowl.

As I understand it the selection sequence goes like this:
1st - BCS
2nd - Gator
3rd - Peach
4th - Tangerine
5th - Seattle
6th - Cont. Tire

My concern assumes that the Seatlle Bowl does not want to select us and I think that is a valid assumption, but they might have to if after the Tangerine selects UVA, their remaining choices are Tech @ 8-4 and Clemson and WF @ 6-6. I suspect they would prefer Clemson but might be forced by NCAA to select us. So in this very likely scenario, can we decline the invitation to accept the Tire bowl instead, and if so could we expect any backlash for having this somewhat arrogant attitude?

If Clemson beats USC, they will be 7-5 and the Seattle bowl picks them without any concern of selecting them over a 8-4 Tech team.

We could decline the invitation to the Seattle Bowl and accept the Continental Tire Bowl invitation (given your scenario).

If we are made to go to the Seattle Bowl (again), I will personally lead the lynch party to Braine's house. Under the cloak of nighttime darkness, Braine will first be tarred and feathered for being a gutless excuse of an AA, and then will be hung properly from a sour gum tree. NO WAY does Tech go to that lame excuse of a bowl!!
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
If we are made to go to the Seattle Bowl (again), I will personally lead the lynch party to Braine's house. Under the cloak of nighttime darkness, Braine will first be tarred and feathered for being a gutless excuse of an AA, and then will be hung properly from a sour gum tree. NO WAY does Tech go to that lame excuse of a bowl!!
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We really are bound by the conference on this one. If the deal works out where the Seattle Bowl takes us, we either go there or nowhere.

I have to admit that while I was apprehensive about going last year, once I got there I had a GREAT time. There is tons of stuff to do in Seattle and this year the game is played in the new pro stadium. Don't knock Seattle until you have expereinced it. Great food, micro-brews everywhere and neat pubs. With the exception of the overabundance of homeless people, you can't ask for a cleaner city. Oh, and beating Stanford when nobody gave us a chance did not hurt either.

Braine needs to get his fat fanny in gear and MAKE SURE that Tech does not get cornered into the Seattle Bowl. If you think that AD's and coaches aren't involved in the process, you would be sadly mistaken, very sadly indeed.
BOO

Back