CPJ still not happy with OL play

How many of them are true freshmen with zero experience? This doesn't make sense. Even according to CPJ, we've had poor offensive lines most of his time here. There is a common denominator for more than the five years of a college career.

Maybe so, but we do have a new additional OL coach, and a terrible year's worth of tape for them to dissect and build off of. Maybe they won't get better. My point is just that why would we expect them to be better with only one week of practice since the horrors of last season?

ND got the 'blueprint' from Iowa, I guess

ND took a coach with health problems, pulled him off the field, kept him at full salary in the office, and told him to spend a year developing a game plan for Georgia Tech. His only job was to learn the option and develop a defensive game plan. I think he earned like $90k.

It sure would be nice if we could just earmark $1,200,000 to hire a different coach for each of our opponents and spend a year developing a game plan for each of them.

SMH

How many of them are true freshmen with zero experience? This doesn't make sense. Even according to CPJ, we've had poor offensive lines most of his time here. There is a common denominator for more than the five years of a college career.
Saturday the starting OL was at LT a true Soph , The second string center at LG, A 5th year walk-on player ( great kid ) w no game exp at center, the second string RT redshirt Soph at First team RG and a Redshirt Soph at RT. The player w the most starts is a true Soph and y'all are wondering why in the second week of spring ball they are struggling? This week Will was moved to LG, so he is learning a new position , while at the same time studying for 3 exams. Everyone needs to relax a little. Burden will be back, hopefully Griffin will be 100% and Shamire will get in better shape. He was pretty sick heading into spring practice. That hurt him conditioning wise. Eason is having a good spring and now is starting at LT. Every year some positions are leaner than others. My Sr spring at UGA we had 6 OL who could practice. It sucked. But its spring practice , If guys are going to learn new positions its the time to do it. You can study a playbook all day and not learn öööö until its live.The defense knows the calls at the LOS , jumps the snap etc. I looking forward to the scrimmage Saturday. Normally the D wins the first couple of weeks, D is all about reaction. It always takes the O a bit longer.

They've been two years plus in the system. Last year we had one of the most experienced o-lines. The coach with the most time in this offense is still coaching them. I do not expect sudden improvement.

If they are not in the 2 deep they are not running the GT offense in the fall. The majority of the guys playing this spring are basically running this for the first time. It takes live reps to learn what to do. The game is very fast. They will get it figured out.

Jesus Christ, you're stupid.
So, you don't think a trap play to the right side after starting the flow with the B back to the left side would be better than simply running a dive into a blitzing stunting defense and then trying to option to the outside when the entire stadium knows that is what we are going to do?

You run the B back on a dive to the left while the LG pulls to the right. The right OL zone blocks down toward the center so everyone but the play side end is blocked. The QB simply pulls the ball and lets the left side A back run behind the left guard. If the defensive end is crashing the LG simply uses the ends momentum to block him to the inside and the A back runs outside. If the end hangs tough on the corner a 280 lb OG knocks him to the outside and the A back cuts inside. Run properly the A back can actually set up the block. This is basically a counter play to get a RB free off tackle away from play flow.

So, yes I must be stupid.

Have a nice day.

If they are not in the 2 deep they are not running the GT offense in the fall. The majority of the guys playing this spring are basically running this for the first time. It takes live reps to learn what to do. The game is very fast. They will get it figured out.
They've had live reps. Most of them have played. I'm hoping for the best, but last year's experienced group gives me doubt. They did't figured it out in five years. I'm not blaming the players for that. We've seen too many games when they were unprepared in their own words.

Surely, CPJ had faced similar D schemes prior to last year's Notre Dame game. Can't possibly be the first time ever and then everyone copied. I put 90% of the blame on rotten OL play.

So, you don't think a trap play to the right side after starting the flow with the B back to the left side would be better than simply running a dive into a blitzing stunting defense and then trying to option to the outside when the entire stadium knows that is what we are going to do?

You run the B back on a dive to the left while the LG pulls to the right. The right OL zone blocks down toward the center so everyone but the play side end is blocked. The QB simply pulls the ball and lets the left side A back run behind the left guard. If the defensive end is crashing the LG simply uses the ends momentum to block him to the inside and the A back runs outside. If the end hangs tough on the corner a 280 lb OG knocks him to the outside and the A back cuts inside. Run properly the A back can actually set up the block. This is basically a counter play to get a RB free off tackle away from play flow.

So, yes I must be stupid.

Have a nice day.

Congrats on being able to describe a play... you'd make a great coach of a pee wee football team. Maybe even finish with a winning record one out of three years.

Can somebody please get on shamire's ass to lose some weight? Godalmighty, this is big time football. Lose the ööööing Doritos

Can somebody please get on shamire's ass to lose some weight? Godalmighty, this is big time football. Lose the ööööing Doritos

Unfortunately, if it hasn't happened by now, it's probably not going to happen ever. It's not a situation where he wants to get in shape for the NFL draft, so he just has the same incentives that have failed to motivate him every other year.

Unfortunately, if it hasn't happened by now, it's probably not going to happen ever. It's not a situation where he wants to get in shape for the NFL draft, so he just has the same incentives that have failed to motivate him every other year.
TJ Barnes 2.0...

They've had live reps. Most of them have played. I'm hoping for the best, but last year's experienced group gives me doubt. They did't figured it out in five years. I'm not blaming the players for that. We've seen too many games when they were unprepared in their own words.
My statement was not a opinion, it is fact. The majority of the dressed out OL this spring have not played significant reps against ACC competition. Some are learning new positions. Its a young group that will continue to get better w practice. 3 started 3 games or more. Getting Burden and Griffin back will help. The fact is that the majority of the OL who are in pads and playing this spring have no or very little ACC level experience. Its going take more than 2 weeks of practice to figure things out.

Trap blocking works if your linemen are quick. It originated with teams that had undermanned lines. I didn't know we trap blocked that much except as a half time adjustment which is why we usually look good right after halftime.

A fast LB jumping a gap will usually blow up a play if his opposing lineman is pulling or swimming downfield to the second level. The LOS check perhaps should be to switch to straight up drive blocking if the overload gap jumping is shown by the D.

Our linemen need some injury hardening too. I know easier said than done.

I really don't like criticism of scheme or playcalling of any college coach. It just strikes me as incredibly stupid that either CPJ and CCG don't know how this coaching thing is supposed to work.

I'm not saying all coaches were above reproach. Many college coaches are certainly worse than other coaches. But there are almost no college coaches who fail because they forget schematic basics. They fail for other reasons (not good at recruiting, hiring assistants, translating scheme to execution, etc.)

I really don't like criticism of scheme or playcalling of any college coach. It just strikes me as incredibly stupid that either CPJ and CCG don't know how this coaching thing is supposed to work.

I'm not saying all coaches were above reproach. Many college coaches are certainly worse than other coaches. But there are almost no college coaches who fail because they forget schematic basics. They fail for other reasons (not good at recruiting, hiring assistants, translating scheme to execution, etc.)
I think those other things are by far what the criticism of the coach is about. The blocking has been less than capable for a period of time. We had an experienced line last year and it was porous. We now have young guys and why should we expect better? Physically, we can match up well enough, but apparently the direction of it isn't working. Either the scheme is too complicated, so that unblocked opponents are in the middle of the backfield, or the blocking techniques aren't sufficient.

CCG never had 4 and 5 star linemen, but we always had one of the better units in the ACC. Linemen by their Junior and Senior years should be strong enough and know enough about the scheme to be solid. We are simply not coaching them up. Falls on the o-line coach and ultimately the head coach. Sewak should have been gone years ago.

Back