CPJ's Birmingham Radio Interview

AE 87

Dodd-Like
The coachingsearch article for why GT could win 9 or 10 games referred to CPJ's interview on Birmingham's 94.5.

Here it is:
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=1261&c=6261&f=1539851

Not a whole lot to it, but here are a couple notes:
(1) CPJ got rid of Wommack largely because he had lost the confidence of the team (in retrospect, imo, that problem had carryover into 2010 with Wommack gone)

(2) CPJ got rid of Groh because it just wasn't working. I think his "If you could you put your finger on it, you'd know why" came off much more ambiguous than some in the other thread took it. It sounded to me like he was saying wtte of "For whatever reason, it just wasn't working."

(3) CPJ stated his goal was to get Tech up to winning 10 games every year, and go from there

(4) Thinks the ACC is decent conference from top to bottom but admits that they don't have the marquee team at the top, noting that the hype surrounding the SEC seems to him to be unprecedented.

(5) Repeats his preference for a bigger playoff tied to conference champions in order to avoid bias etc

that's how I interpreted his comments about Groh as well...I didn't see them as an attack at all. It seemed to me he was just as confused as to why it didn't work as those of us who thought Groh was a great hire.

I thought the Groh comment was just another of CPJ's strange ways of saying absolutely nothing. He kind of botches cliches from time to time.

CPJ stated his goal was to get Tech up to winning 10 games every year, and go from there

I certainly like the sound of that. Bobby Ross answered the same question by saying 'get into the top 20 every year' then some years, everything will go your way.'

Very similar.

that's how I interpreted his comments about Groh as well...I didn't see them as an attack at all. It seemed to me he was just as confused as to why it didn't work as those of us who thought Groh was a great hire.

That's how I took them as well. Everybody was excited about Groh, but it turned out to be an abject failure. It looked good on paper, but for whatever reason just didn't work.

If you believe the CPJ haters, he is clearly trying to piss off the media in other markets since everyone in Atlanta already hates him.

I thought the Groh comment was just another of CPJ's strange ways of saying absolutely nothing. He kind of botches cliches from time to time.

Couldn't disagree more. I think his point is if he knew what went wrong he would have tried to fix it. It just wasn't working.

That's how I took them as well. Everybody was excited about Groh, but it turned out to be an abject failure. It looked good on paper, but for whatever reason just didn't work.

Kinda like the Bill Lewis hire, but in the rear view mirror, it was; what were we thinking. But to be fair, there are those kind of hires every year in the sports world.

uh, that's what I said.

If he knew, he'd know.

I don't see how that is saying nothing. He is very clearly saying that he doesn't know what went wrong with Groh, that he expected it to work out better, and, as further support that he didn't know what was wrong, gave the example of if he knew what was wrong he would have fixed it.

He recognized it wasn't working under Groh, and set out that he didn't know why. What else do you want him to say?

I don't see how that is saying nothing. He is very clearly saying that he doesn't know what went wrong with Groh, that he expected it to work out better, and, as further support that he didn't know what was wrong, gave the example of if he knew what was wrong he would have fixed it.

He recognized it wasn't working under Groh, and set out that he didn't know why. What else do you want him to say?

He didn't say "If I knew, I'd have fixed it." He said "If I knew, I'd know."

Furthermore, CPJ really does know. There has to be a solid and concrete reason that Groh didn't work out.

It was something like "he didn't trust his assistants" or "had too complicated a scheme and we didn't have enough practice time to teach it" or "didn't recruit good enough players to his defense" or "his scheme simply doesn't work" or some combination of all of those.

But there is a reason and rest assured, CPJ knows what the reason is. I don't expect him to actually tell us, and I'm fine with that. But by firing Groh, it says to me that he knew what was wrong and he didn;t feel like it could be fixed with Groh. Like, if it was the fact that our players aren't good enough to run a scheme, then we have to run a different scheme because we're not going to be getting better players.

But to say "If I knew, I'd know" is just a way of side-stepping the question.

Either way, it was not an attack on Groh.

..."

Furthermore, CPJ really does know. There has to be a solid and concrete reason that Groh didn't work out.

But there is a reason and rest assured, CPJ knows what the reason is. I don't expect him to actually tell us, and I'm fine with that. But by firing Groh, it says to me that he knew what was wrong and he didn;t feel like it could be fixed with Groh. Like, if it was the fact that our players aren't good enough to run a scheme, then we have to run a different scheme because we're not going to be getting better players.

But to say "If I knew, I'd know" is just a way of side-stepping the question.

Either way, it was not an attack on Groh.

Yes, of course PJ knows what went wrong. He also is learning what to say and what not to say to the media. He's been given some OTJ Media Relations Training over the past couple of years, it appears.

Wommack doesn't look so bad now, does he?
5419239947_696912a78e.jpg

It sucks that this positive CPJ radio interview...is hosted by a B'ham station.

Yes, of course PJ knows what went wrong.

This. 2 reasons.

1) Groh was married to scheme that needed NFL caliber players on the DL.

2) Groh was a dick. Dicks are ok if successful, but there is nothing worse than an unproductive dick.

This. 2 reasons.

1) Groh was married to scheme that needed NFL caliber players on the DL.

2) Groh was a dick. Dicks are ok if successful, but there is nothing worse than an unproductive dick.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, watch it with that last comment; you know BuzzCzar reads this forum.

Bringing in Al Groh was like taking an old Ford to an import shop that has a German mechanic with metric tools and BMW manuals. Tech just needed a good tune-up and a little more performance, but Groh was determined to take it apart and turn it into something he liked. At some point, CPJ figured out that they were speaking different languages.

Back