Custis

Personally, I think that we should move Waller inside. He fits that bill. Maybe he doesn't have the slashing ability needed at Aback.

Maybe, but it would look a little weird having a 6'5" A-back, considering most of our good ones (Roddy, Godhigh, Allen, Smith) have been barely 6'0" at best. I'm also not sure how a 6'5" guy trying to cut block in space would look.

It's also nice having a tall receiver, as the first series deep ball against UGA showed.

Maybe, but it would look a little weird having a 6'5" A-back, considering most of our good ones (Roddy, Godhigh, Allen, Smith) have been barely 6'0" at best. I'm also not sure how a 6'5" guy trying to cut block in space would look.

It's also nice having a tall receiver, as the first series deep ball against UGA showed.

first waller wouldn't go to AB because the point of having a big AB is the ability to take on DL blockers better in certain schemes

But with that said if GT were to employ a TE at AB for some plays and formations, they wouldn't cut....even if its a run play they wouldn't cut. The whole reason AB cuts is cuz traditionally they are much smaller than the LB they are blocking...its a size advantage issue. So you cut.

this is where I dont' think PJ has been inventive enough at GT. At Navy you had to cut more, cuz you were so much smaller than your competition. At GT he can get bigger kids to rotate in and out of certain formations and for many different play types and blocking schemes and he can scale back all the cutting need.

a big AB who has to arc block on a run play, would simply drive block his assignment like you see Auburn do. He wouldn't cut. You have to change up the scheme a bit if you want to take advantage of the other things a big AB would bring, like catching target in seam routes, routes over the middle, out in the flat etc....stuff we sorely lack today. We don't have a middle passing game because honestly its hard to get a guy lined up over the tackle open over the middle who is five foot 7. six foot six...not so hard to throw to even if he is in a crowd

Like 33 said, a bigger body lets you change your blocking scheme. A cut is really effective when done correctly, but so is a standard block. You chances of whiffing on a block when you are face to face seems less likely. I'd prefer to see a mix of body types out there (if the coaches can teach different techiques to different guys effectively).

Back