Cut Blocking

In theory, but is any team running the offense not cut blocking significantly? I can't think of any.

At the high school level all kinds of offenses are being run without the benefit of cut blocking because many high schools are not allowed to cut block.

The NCAA rules permit cut blocking so it is a moot point as to whether or this scheme or any other scheme requires cut blocking to be effective.

Bump. Since Offseason.

We absolutely cut inside the tackle box. Backside almost always cuts on every option play, even some non option plays.

We call it a scoop block. Basically, anything that comes between your crotch and the crotch next to you, you eliminate on the spot.

I totally think it's a product of Mike Sewak and CPJ and they are so joined at the hip we just have to live with it. And, btw, it's perfectly legal it just looks stupid when you see guys diving at open ground to try and keep up their blocking grade. I'm not in favor of it. But CPJ and Sewak are BFF so you might as well get used to it.

Okay, I have to ask, is cut blocking a hard and fast requirement for PJ's offense to run effectively? I understand A backs cutting given their size limitations but seeing 300 lb. jugbutts diving on the ground does not seem to be creating the gaps for us to run between the tackles and has us looking like the French Army circa 1940 in pass protection. I know the Broncos were great at cutting in the Terrell Davis days but it does not seem to be working for us. So is it technique or bad coaching from Sewack?

From an efficiency standpoint, we just had arguably the best offense in the modern era. Our OL routinely steamrolled larger, more athletic players. We rushed for an absurd amount of yards against multiple top 10 teams to close the season.

Not sure how anyone could argue that it didn't work for us.

The rest of your post is a reasonable question, though. I wouldn't be shocked if they outlawed cut blocking in the future, so I'd be curious to know how such a change would affect our ability to run the offense.

(edit) Just realized this was an old post. Point still stands, though.

I wouldn't be shocked if they outlawed cut blocking in the future
This would effect EVERY offense/team. Watch how a RB handles a blitzing LB in any 'pro style' or passing offense. Majority of the time he cuts him.

I totally think it's a product of Mike Sewak and CPJ and they are so joined at the hip we just have to live with it. And, btw, it's perfectly legal it just looks stupid when you see guys diving at open ground to try and keep up their blocking grade. I'm not in favor of it. But CPJ and Sewak are BFF so you might as well get used to it.

In Athens and Miami (OB), I didn't see much diving at open ground, but I did see a great deal of one on one arse kicking(da 3 stars were blowing the 4 stars off the LOS). The right side of our OL was bulldozing both sets of SEC canines. The left side wasn't doing so badly either.

If our OL can stay healthy, our young RBs will grow up in a hurry.

The thing that wrankles me the most about the cut blocking is when the linemen want to do that 30 yards downfield on a big run against a smaller defender whom they just should be able to use a simple law of physics to shove out the öööö way.

The thing that wrankles me the most about the cut blocking is when the linemen want to do that 30 yards downfield on a big run against a smaller defender whom they just should be able to use a simple law of physics to shove out the öööö way.

The idea is to meet them or affect their path. They are taught situationally. OL are never going to be able to chase any skilled position player down. All it takes is one misstep from the defender to allow an A back to slip through. Some plays that come to mind, funnily enough they both involve Orwin.
I forgot which year (2010, I believe), but Orwin at UNC, first touchdown of the game, 80-something yards. The two backside linemen and the frontside guard were all down field and either affected a path or cut someone.

The next one is Orwin first touchdown against Kansas at home, i think it was 95 yards? Same thing as the first, the backside guys were able to get the backside LB and safety and then it's out the gate.

If you can make them slow down or change their path, while not nearly as effective as locking them down with a solid block, it still works.

While everyone's job is important, what makes a big play is the backside. Backside LB and Run Support safety. If those are taken care of, we've got a good shot at big yards.

As for the backside, everyone in college teaches the backside cutoff. While not necessarily everyone cuts on the backside, we do it to eliminate the defender on the spot.

Cut blocking is not the big difference for this offense. We don't cut block as often as people think, at least compared to similar exterior running plays in pro-style offenses. We cut block more on the outside because we run to the outside much more often.

Pro-style offenses actually cut-block often in a way we don't, which is an RB trying to block on a passing play.

The biggest difference is QB's spend years learning how to do the option. And the other 10 players learn A LOT of different running and blocking schemes. But in execution, for blocking, running or passing, our offense is not THAT different from other offenses.

Back