Danny Smith likely available after Bills HC fired?

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
Any of you guys who are big GT fans probably remember him as being a great recruiter and coach (DB, ST, RB) for us (87-94) before going to the NFL. He is the only coach we have had that was successful recruiting in South Carolina...bringing in Nathan Perryman, Raleigh Boulware, Lethon Flowers(NFL), Ryan Stewart (NFL), Patrick Bradford, Harvey Middleton...and laid the groundwork for Joe Hamilton and Jerry Caldwell the year before he left.

Prior to joining the GT staff in 1987, has with Bobby Ross at Citadel 84-86 and William & Mary 80-83 prior to that.

After leaving GT in 1994, he was with the Eagles 95-98, Lions 99-00, and Bills 01-03.

Originally posted by texstinger:
Players loved the guy. Played lights out for him. Do we have the $?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I doubt money would be an issue...we pay our assistants pretty well...and right now he is probably not making any money.

The bigger issue may be he may not want to return to the college ranks unless he is a DC. Also...he had a strong personality...could he be a DB coach under Tenuta (also a strong personality) if Tenuta took the LB's and Haley the DL?

He would be great insurance if Tenuta ever left us since he rarely stayed anywhere more than two years...and he did receive a lot of publicity this past year.

I'd bring Danny in as Ass't HC and ST coach for top Ass't $$$. THWG

Originally posted by GoldZ:
I'd bring Danny in as Ass't HC and ST coach for top Ass't $$$. THWG
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Lets do it!

I would love to have Danny. He was a good recruiter period but he was especially effective in South Carolina and Western Pennsylvania.

He brought in some impressive talent from those areas and was also a very good on field coach.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
I would love to have Danny. He was a good recruiter period but he was especially effective in South Carolina and Western Pennsylvania.

He brought in some impressive talent from those areas and was also a very good on field coach.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think he brought in Willie Clay as well.

It does sound like a homerun to bring him in this year as a future replacement to Tenuta, if and when he leaves. Having said that however, there has been no talk anywhere that I can find about Tenuta looking or interviewing elsewhere. I guess some of that is the lack of movement this year.

I like your thinking, Hiverdtech. I don't know much about the current staff's recruiting ability (it's early to really tell, except maybe Wilson), but Smith has the success record. You can never underestimate the importance of recruiting at the collegiate level.

Back