Darren Waller Shrine Game Update

The 20 pounds is not neccessary.

He needs to add a little healthy weight to be an NFL TE....
Just being realistic. He has great potential and is a playmaker. And he has the frame to become a physical specimen. But 20 pounds of muscle would go a long way... Would probably be hard for him to do that before the combine, but I expect once he has been in an NFL training program for a year or two he'll get in the 250 pound range.

9124485.jpeg

I think we have had more starting WRs make it to the NFL than not.

NFL:
Cone
Hill
Smelter (probable)
Thomas
Waller (probable)

No NFL:
Earls (did he start? can't remember)
McKayhan
Melton
Moore (did he start? can't remember)

Doesn't count:
Greene (transferred)

Greene would have been better off staying put at GT, apparently. Did he transfer because of school struggles or just a falling out with the program? I can't remember.

He needs to add a little healthy weight to be an NFL TE....
Just being realistic. He has great potential and is a playmaker. And he has the frame to become a physical specimen. But 20 pounds of muscle would go a long way... Would probably be hard for him to do that before the combine, but I expect once he has been in an NFL training program for a year or two he'll get in the 250 pound range.

9124485.jpeg

I don't know that it needs to be that much. Tony Gonzalez, end of his career, was 6'5, 247. Waller is listed at 6'5, 241.

I'd say if he puts on 5-10 lbs of muscle he'd be fine.

Also, that picture was taken from when he was a sophomore and doesn't take into account what he looks like now. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080813aaa.html.

Darren+Waller+Capital+One+Orange+Bowl+Mississippi+2ezcvqwxM2fl.jpg

The lines between TE and WR are blured now in the NFL. It's blurred enough that Jimmy Graham tried to claim WR money because he lines up in the slot so much. I'm telling you guys, Waller will play many years in the league.

I can't say, I haven't seen his speed. In the pros, there is a big difference between a 4.56 and a 4.64. If hes on the low end of that, with his height, he will be a rich man.

The article is excellent. He can catch (unlike hill) but he can drop too, so he's not a Wes Welker (or whoever you think owes his career to not dropping passes. Clay Matthews? I don't profess to follow the pros that well)

He does not have insane passion for football. He does not block that well considering the size advantage he has. Some of the most fun I had watching Tech was watching Thomas absolutely molest defensive backs. Top dbs, pushing them around like they were middle schoolers. Amazing. Waller should have been doing that this year. If he had, he would be a first day pick. The fact that he hasn't makes him a reach that early assuming 4.6 speed.

He is huge. Huge. There is a big difference between 6-6.75 and 6-3. Even 6-5. Hes being chosen based on potential, obviously, so 5-20 pounds of muscle is pretty irrelevant. If they think he needs the weight, the know they can put that little but of weight on the guy. Hes a good size for special teams now. He can play the slot at the weight or TE when its obvious he will be going out for the pass.

It comes down to speed. Every .01 second means a bunch of spots. Get into the 4.5 range, and hes rich. Uncork a high 4.6, and hes gonna be a FA, IMHO.

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
GaTech WR Darren Waller at E-W Shrine: 6'6 5/8". 242 lbs. 9 1/4" hands. 33 3/8" arms.

Wins in ways that fit his frame

I can't say, I haven't seen his speed. In the pros, there is a big difference between a 4.56 and a 4.64. If hes on the low end of that, with his height, he will be a rich man.

The article is excellent. He can catch (unlike hill) but he can drop too, so he's not a Wes Welker (or whoever you think owes his career to not dropping passes. Clay Matthews? I don't profess to follow the pros that well)

He does not have insane passion for football. He does not block that well considering the size advantage he has. Some of the most fun I had watching Tech was watching Thomas absolutely molest defensive backs. Top dbs, pushing them around like they were middle schoolers. Amazing. Waller should have been doing that this year. If he had, he would be a first day pick. The fact that he hasn't makes him a reach that early assuming 4.6 speed.

He is huge. Huge. There is a big difference between 6-6.75 and 6-3. Even 6-5. Hes being chosen based on potential, obviously, so 5-20 pounds of muscle is pretty irrelevant. If they think he needs the weight, the know they can put that little but of weight on the guy. Hes a good size for special teams now. He can play the slot at the weight or TE when its obvious he will be going out for the pass.

It comes down to speed. Every .01 second means a bunch of spots. Get into the 4.5 range, and hes rich. Uncork a high 4.6, and hes gonna be a FA, IMHO.
No problems with it until the astonishing statement that GT had had no "go to" receivers. I am pretty sure my memory is good enough to say "Thomas" and "Smelter". And in fact Waller, to my surprise, became the guy after Smelter went down. He may have a chance.

Speed is helpful, but his height renders it less relevant. Getting open doesn't really matter as much when you are 10 feet tall just holding your arms up in the air.

He does not block that well considering the size advantage he has. Some of the most fun I had watching Tech was watching Thomas absolutely molest defensive backs. Top dbs, pushing them around like they were middle schoolers. Amazing. Waller should have been doing that this year. If he had, he would be a first day pick.

he would never have been "a first day pick" because he never played until the very end of his career.

additionally, i thought he blocked pretty well. i even have proof.

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1537474&postcount=22

and its not just Smelter... check this huge block by Waller v Miami

4th&2 - Waller is at the top of the screen, one on one with the db

15550997547_2763cdcbe3_z.jpg

15116227044_d74b266b82_z.jpg

15550994467_a237db43d7_z.jpg

15550304809_1e367fc41a_z.jpg

db doesnt disengage until RB is already in the endzone

he blocks his man all the way to the back of the endzone enabling us to score a TD. looks pretty good to me

I saw BJ Upton hit a HR last year so he must be a great hitter.

Back