David Braine's comment about bowl games.......

Patriot

Varsity Lurker
David Braine\'s comment about bowl games.......

Ya'll, let's get something straight! If you don't go to a bowl game now days then you are terrible. Just getting to a bowl game is NOT enough, anymore! If this is our goal year in and year out then we're in trouble! I want Championships not Silicon Valley Bowl victories. I'm not saying that we can play for the National Championship every year but our goal should at least be a NEW YEAR'S DAY BOWL every year!!!

Sorry.... but now days anybody with a football program goes to a bowl.

Re: David Braine\'s comment about bowl games.......

How about this...Rice hired O'leary who got us to those bowls, not Braine. Lat year was a joke we went because of the previous 5 years. If we hadnt been to a bowl the 5 years before, we never would have been chosen for that bowl-I dont care what our stinkin record was. Obviously the grave has already been dug and he knows it or he wouldnt panicking like this crap. Of course, no one should be surprised, I'm not.

Clearly the "value" of appearing in a bowl game has diminished in value. These days bowl games are so prolific that programs even have their own defacto games, ie. Boise State, UNLV, and Fresno St. Last year there were on the order of 26-28 bowl games, so approx. 52-56 of the 113 Div 1-A teams went bowling.

This compares to about 10 bowls when Bobby Dodd had his 6 in a row streak in the 50's. (Of course there were also fewer bowl eligible teams back then).

However, IIR, something like only 10 programs have gone to 6 consecutive bowl games, and GT is one of them.(others as I recall include UGA, UF, F$U, Mich, Miami and others of course - I believe teams like Ohio State were not in that list) That does indicate a certain level of minimum consistency in having a winning record over that time.

Of course, some of the GT bowls have been 'lower tier', such as SVC, Seattle, and Carquest. But to be in that category with however many teams it is (10-15 IIR correctly), that does say something.

The numbers I'm quoting here (and other teams listed) are by memory, so pls don't gut me for getting a number or team slightly off. You get the picture.

All one idiots opinion, of course.

Patriot, I agree, it is too easy to go to bowls today. It means little in comparison to years ago. I remember Tech going 7-3 several times and being left out of a bowl game.

The quantity of bowl games should be reduced, and a team should have to win at least eight games in a 12 game season to be elligible.

Of the six bowls we have participated in the last six years, the Gator Bowl is the highest. I consider the Gator Bowl as a prestigious Bowl, even though it is not at the top of the Bowls, so I am not dissing the Gator Bowl.

I also consider the Peach Bowl as a worthy bowl, although not in the top tier.

The Seattle and Fresno State Bowls were laughers, as far as prestige is concerned.

smile.gif

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
GSUJacket - this was only over the last 6 or so years - so certainly the Big10 and other schools don't have that philosophy today.

My bad I missed over the last 6 years.
Can someone tell me if I am right or wrong about the Big 10 only allowing the Champion to go bowling?

All IMO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Originally posted by Patriot:
Ya'll, let's get something straight! If you don't go to a bowl game now days then you are terrible. Just getting to a bowl game is NOT enough, anymore! If this is our goal year in and year out then we're in trouble! I want Championships not Silicon Valley Bowl victories. I'm not saying that we can play for the National Championship every year but our goal should at least be a NEW YEAR'S DAY BOWL every year!!!

Sorry.... but now days anybody with a football program goes to a bowl.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Patriot.. I could not have stated it any better... great post !!

I like studying history, and Braine insulating himself around six straight bowls games made me compare and contrast to Coach Dodd. Dodd went to 13 bowls in 22 years. Based on today's standards 6 would be BCS games. (2 Orange, 3 Sugars, & 1 Cotton). There are also six years with winning records that would get a team in a bowl. There was also a season that Tech went 4-2 in the SEC, and with the extra patsies on today's schedule would have gone to a bowl. So, all in all Dodd would have gone to a bowl in 19 of his 22 years, and could have gone all 22 with twelve game schedules. Coach Dodd had 9 teams ranked in the top 15. To even try to compare the current streak to the streak in the 50's is ludicrous.
Just comparing silicon to oranges.

Comparing silicon to oranges! Pretty clever!

laugh.gif

Originally posted by TIAR,B:
[QB]
- I believe teams like Ohio State were not in that list) That does indicate a certain level of minimum consistency in having a winning record over that time.

Of course, some of the GT bowls have been 'lower tiQB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I may be wrong about this but I think at one time the Big2 had a rule that only the conf. Champ went to a Bowl. So the winner of OSU-MICH went to the Rose Bowl everyone else stayed home.

That might explain why some schools have not had longer Bowl streaks.

Every post here is accurate. Two years ago Clemson actually bought their way into a bowl game by taking flowers to the selection committee and buying some unused tickets on the spot.

Bowl games should not be a measuring stick of how successful a program is.

GSUJacket - this was only over the last 6 or so years - so certainly the Big10 and other schools don't have that philosophy today.

IIR, perhaps in Tressels first year (??) they went 6-6, or so, and were not bowl eligible.

Again, this all from memory (which ain't what it sued to be) - but the gist is that definitely getting to a bowl game is no sign of excellence, but being on a short list with about only 10-15 other Div 1A teams as to having gone to a bowl game 6 consecutive times (albeit some smaller Tier II/III bowls), is something of an accomplishment.

All IMO

Back