DC Pole

How often are you refreshing your "Georgia Tech Football" Google hoping to see news of a DC search?

• Total voters
We have some pretty big personnel issues on defense. It’s hard to give a good assessment of Sherrer, for me at least.

Thack had his chance, and I'm assuming there were some gameplay issues and poor play calling.

I haven’t really seen any schematics defencies since Sherrer took over; we actually had a pretty good plan most games and tried some different things with success. Getting Jaylon King in the field all the time was key and then we also saw more of Efford. Defense won us the Miami and Cuse games and we were dominant against UVA. The BC 4th quarter was the only disaster, and that was a result of blown assignments.

Good lord, tenuta in his prime couldn't make this defense with these players much better.
What we need is a good recruiter to get some Biga fast Joe's to play DL and LB.
Losing White, Thomas, and Eley hurt us a ton.

thought I saw Sherrer at WaHo with a recruit this morning.

Can't believe I'm more worried about Faulkner leaving than GT finding a DC

If Thacker could do what he did the last 8 games of 2022, I'm going to say we have more of a talent issue than a coaching issue on defense. We need 1 really good pass rusher, and 1 really good LB that can run side to side and mentor Tatum and Efford.

I'm fine leaving this up to Key and J. If Key wants to bring in a new guy, I hope J can authorize the budget for the guy(s) in Key's short list.

I see the same thing everybody else sees on the field but I still think this is a case of the coordinator taking too much of the blame for roster issues. One thing I have learned over the years is this - on D, the gap in the average talent level isn't what kills you - its the lowest talent level across all 11 positions. So, you can have a D with a lot of great players but even one or two guys that are grossly overmatched is all it takes to swing the outcome of the game.

A top-shelf DC can sometimes scheme around "holes" in the roster but they other team's OC will, over the course of 4 quarters, find the well-disguised weak spot and, as O'Leary brilliantly put it, "make you play left-handed."

The dwags final (meaningful) 3rd down conversion illustrates exactly this. We called the exact right D - literally the perfect call. But we ended up with a matchup not in our favor and they converted. If we had the LB duo we had last year, we would have forced a punt and had one more shot for another score.

So I think we need to focus on fixing the root of the problem. Not that a better chess player running our D would be a bad thing but the problem seems to be we need more rooks and bishops and fewer knights and pawns.

I don't stare at a pole unless I'm in a strip club.

1701106122260.png

The dwags final (meaningful) 3rd down conversion illustrates exactly this. We called the exact right D - literally the perfect call. But we ended up with a matchup not in our favor and they converted. If we had the LB duo we had last year, we would have forced a punt and had one more shot for another score.

So I think we need to focus on fixing the root of the problem. Not that a better chess player running our D would be a bad thing but the problem seems to be we need more rooks and bishops and fewer knights and pawns.

Exactly. Scheme wasn’t our issue. We actually did some great things schematically the back half of the year.

I have zero interest in giving Sherrer another season. He had most of this season and we still didn't improve from worst in the nation. Being less embarrassing, but still terrible doesn't cut it in my book.
I don’t think you’re gonna get your wish, but I do wish we were thinking about making a change. I think Key is a very loyal HC. Hopefully the stability brings about results and sustainable improvement.

Back