December 28, 2001 no one had a clue Chan would be HC

GTBigBee

Varsity Lurker
Then on December 29, 2001 he was named our head coach.

http://www.nique.net/issues/2002-01-18/sports/3

Even the AJC back then did not have a clue.

It took 20 days. GOL left on December 9, 2001 and Chan was named on December 29, 2001.

Can anyone else remember the names they threw out back then before Chan was hired ? They talked about bringing Edsall from UConn (sound familiar), they talked of bringing Ralph back from Maryland, they talked about keeping/elevating Mac McWhorter. Bill O'Brian wanted a shot at it (hard to believe now isn't it....is he still with Ralph?). WE were going to beg Bobby Ross to come out of retirement (He had retired from the Lions and had not started with Army). Lord, I even think Terry Bowden was discussed ( 2 years removed from Auburn).

I guess my point is that I am as burned out as everyone else. I really think DRad has someone else flying in under radar, but we won't know until he steps up to the podium to announce it.

Should he hurry ? Yes and No. Yes because there are a lot of schools looking, but I think his short list has people who WANT the job and will see it as a great job...I don't think he will interview someone shopping around. This is why I feel Johnson is not his main target. Nothing against Johnson, just that something doens't feel right to me...just my opinion.

Recruiting ? The dead/quiet periods are 12/17 - 1/12/08. I think he needs to hire a new coach in time to make contact and confirm the guys on the list and other potentials. Give them something to think about during this period. The major push/critical time comes down to 1/13/08 - 2/02/08. This is where Chan killed us the first year. We all know recruiting takes a hit the first year, but we still can have a solid class if the staff is in full swing come 1/13.

One last thought I have had, but I agree that Jon T. is not a bad choice. That was my original choice back after the VT debacle. I have liked the way he has handled himself the last two weeks. I like what he has said.

So, I will start chilling out a bit and wait until the new coach is announced.

Keep the faith brothers.......our golden days are coming...and I think 2008 may be it !

Back