Dodd-Like
DEFENSIVE END

Greg Gathers 6'1" 270 Senior (RS)
Eric Henderson 6'3" 265 Sophomore (RS)
Chirod Williams 6'4" 235 Junior (RS)
Darius Williams 6'6" 265 Junior
Adamm Oliver 6'4" 250 Freshman
Joe Anoai 6'3" 235 Freshman

Okay, so we lost Tony Hargrove, look at the talent we still have at this position. We could even bring Michael Matthews over to this position if he were needed.

Joe Anoai has been mentioned at both defensive end and linebacker, so he could wind up either place.

There is no doubt of Greg Gathers ability if he is back to his original strength. If Parker plays here instead of DT, he has the height to knock passes down on the rush, good weight, and appears to be a good athlete.

As it is always true someone is a tad better than another person, but probably all of these DEs are good. Each has had their moments at Tech, and the expectations were good on all of them.

I believe defensive end will be a solid position not only in quality, but also in the quantity of athletes at that position. If the staff were decide to place Matthews at that position, I believe he would excel, but he may not be needed.

Look for very good production out of this group.

Father Time

I do not think this is a strong area at all.

Regarding your list, Lee is not on the team anymore and Parker is inside at DT.

- Henderson is proven...but no rest this year..he will have to play every snap.
- Gathers is still a question mark as an every down player since his illness.
- Chirod Williams and Darius Williams have no playing experience...hopefully one can break out. Intensity is a question here.
- True freshman like Anoai and Oliver have a tough time making it from a strength and power perspective on the DL. They are both still thin for college ball...but you never know.

Lots of question marks and inexperience at the DE slot IMO...we can afford zero injuries. If Gathers is not 100% we are in deep trouble.

Originally posted by hiveredtech:
I do not think this is a strong area at all.

Regarding your list, Lee is not on the team anymore and Parker is inside at DT.

- Henderson is proven...but no rest this year..he will have to play every snap.
- Gathers is still a question mark as an every down player since his illness.
- Chirod Williams and Darius Williams have no playing experience...hopefully one can break out. Intensity is a question here.
- True freshman like Anoai and Oliver have a tough time making it from a strength and power perspective on the DL. They are both still thin for college ball...but you never know.

Lots of question marks and inexperience at the DE slot IMO...we can afford zero injuries. If Gathers is not 100% we are in deep trouble.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Disagree slightly about Gathers. If GG is 85%, he is still better than 98% of all DEs in college football. That is of course my opinion. The kid has something inside of him that wanted to do more than his body probably would allow last year. He is healthy now, and he is going to reak some havoc!

I remember last year at NCST. GG, his brother, and his family hung out with all of us in the mobile version of Yellow Jacket Alley. GG said that he doesn't really hear the crowd when he is on the field. He said that all he ever thinks about is getting off the line and doing his job.

That makes sense really. On defense you communicate in the huddle, and then you get ready to kill. GG has a wonderful family, and GG and his family had no doubt that GG would return to his former self. As wonderful as he is in person... GG wants to destroy everyone in his way on the football field.

Hey Beeserk...I am trying to manage my own expectations here! :-)

I just hope that Gathers and Henderson are ready to go every play....and with the inside getting pounded it will be tough for them.

I agree that Gathers at 85% is better than most DE's in the country...lets just keep him healthy.

HiveredTech, I did have Travis on both the DE and DT list. You are correct, it does make us thinner there, but we still have some talent here.

It will be interesting to see if the staff leaves Matthews at Fullback or moves him to defensive end.

Father Time

Back