Defensive Strategy

buffydores

Varsity Lurker
Hola, mi amigos. I would love to hear what you think will be a sound defensive strategy for tommorow. I know that your defense is top-notch this year. I just want to hear what you individually think will work well against what your expect from Vandy.

Well, I talked with Gailey and Tenuta last night. Basically, we're gonna be in a 3-4 scheme most of the game. Trying to contain that option. We're looking to blitz on every other 2nd down, so I hope you're not planning on running then! Also, we have a new type of corner blitz we're looking to show you on the first series. Look out!

On the second series, we hope to blitz every down. We'll only be sending 2 linebackers, though. I won't tell you which ones. Corners will be playing man, with a free safety covering the strong side.

Hope this helps!

B.c of the uncertainty with the type of offense they run; I wouldn't be suprised to see us start in a base two deep 4-3 or nickel to try and see what they are doing. At that time is when Tenuta turns to the linebackers and says "unleash hell" on their QB and backs.

From that point on you will see nothing but helmets popping off and concussions as the ramblin wreck holds UV to 200 yds of total offense on route to a 31-3 victory.

But seriously I think you can see us start is something basic, and get more complex/dictating once we have a feel for their offense. Examples would be stunting, zone blitzes, corner blitches, bump and runs.....You might even see a Hargrove interception. SHHH don't tell anyone!
2gunsfiring.gif
thefinger.gif

I like your strategy. It sounds like they're trying to ruffle the freshman. Very sound. The guy we got back there seems pretty cool. I'd definitely watch for a quick dump to one of our burners. If we get lucky, we could make you pay if you commit to the run that hard. The receivers we have can catch.

Regardless, I think there's a better chance of ruffling the rookie QB than him threading the seams to the receivers. It's kinda cruel of you. The only place our guy could gain some confidence early in the game(the running lanes)is going to be swamped with blitzes. Cruel. At least throw us some bones off the table.

From Vandy I expect a conservative bend but don't break philosophy. I can see you guys giving us medium range passes in an effort to avoid getting burned by the long ball.

I also don't expect you to blitz much...rather drop the LBs back in coverage to help the secondary out. One thing though....I do think we can be successful running on you. I wouldn't be suprised if the coaches focus in on that to help set up our passing game. At that time you will be creeping a safety in the box and that is when Glover, Smith and Co will go to work. Should be fun game. I look forward to seeing your new unis too.

drinking.gif
bigthumbup.gif

This brings up an interesting point. I could see where most of you would think our secondary would be the place to go. All you have to do is look at the numbers from last year to see we were awful. Awful is almost complimentary compared to the reality.

Don't make that assumption. Our secondary was blown out the second half of the season. 'Blown out' is also complimentary. The reason was injuries. Rushen Jones (Pre-Season All-SEC) CB was out with injury and replaced by a freshman Lorenzo Parker (notice he's not starting anywhere this year). Jonathan Shaub SS was out for the season with shoulder surgery with Mr. Lercius performing his amazing 'arm tackle sonnet' in his place. We lost our FS safety Giboney at about the same time as Rushen. He was replaced by a serviceable Jerrol Jackson. Our other cover corner Aaron McWhorter has been beat out of his position by redshirt freshmen Dominique Morris (he's awesome). 3 out of 4 of our starters were out the second half of the season. The other starter has been jumped by a redshirt freshman. As you know, depth is what gets Vandy killed. If we loose 75% of our starting secondary, do you really think our number 2s can pick up the slack. For the love man, we're Vandy, not FSU.

Back