ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Omar Billy 6'2" 270 Sophomore (RS)
Brad Brezina 6'2" 275 Freshman (RS)
Travis Parker 6'5" 265 Sophomore
Wrotto Mansfield 6'4" 310 Freshman
LeShawn Newberry 6'0" 300 Freshman

I just found out Reggie Koon and Alfred Malone will not be here next year, so that does change the prospects here.

This makes it critical that the two freshmen are good. Even if they are, we will still have to shore up the DT position with more bodies.

This means we can put some beef in the middle, but two are freshman. Another 310-320 DT is coming over from Clark University, but it is unclear as to whether he will play defense or offense.

Since you normally have five offensive linemen and a tight end (6 OLs) constantly pounding on two DTs and two DEs (4 DLs), the four DLs can be worn down quickly.

We need a lot of substitution on the defensive line, thus we need a lot of manpower here, the bigger the better.

It appears we could go with heft or speed at the DT, depending on the offense against us. If they run right at us, we need the heft. If we want to penetrate to get to the passer or runners more quickly, we could go with the lighter group of DTs.

I will change my first look at this position. It now appears Tenuta may have to make a few changes to shore up this position.

I just looked over the defensive list. It appears LeRon Lee at 6'2" 277 is the heaviest and most compact of the DEs. He may be a candidate for DT.

Father Time

Koon was an academic casualty or he left the program on his own accord. one of the two.

I just saw the article where both Alfred Malone and Reggie Koon were gone.

That changes the DT scenario a little.

Father Time

Koon had already been moved to OG anyway.
I was disappointed to see LeRon Lee could not make a go at it.
Kenton Johnson (from Clarke) is definitely an OL.

Only Parker and Billy have playing experience....after that DT is left to Brezina, Newberry, and Wrotto.

hiveredtech, are you saying Leron Lee is no longer at Tech or did not work out at DT?

Father Time

Ahso...unfortunately, he is no longer on the team.

I do not know for 100%...but I believe he is taking the medical reshirt, but I do not know if he is staying in school.

Rod... curious how the realization of our numbers at DT affects your prediction on the season.. Where you been? Did your subconscious block this unfortunate fact out? If a team can run right at another team & dominate the interior, everything else pretty much becomes moot... What say you?

Btw, our limited numbers at DT are not gailey's fault...

We have a history of being soft up the middle going back, oh at least 5 seasons ( don't blame Gailey for this).

IMO Parker and Billy are too light. I was really impressed with Parker's mobility last year though.

It would be great to see these two big freshmen get off to a good start.

I would say look out for Parker and Brezina to be starting against BYU in the fall. These are the most complete. Freshemn will probably get some time too. Icky may be thrown in the mix as well if he would be better at DT than DE, but i doubt that.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
We have a history of being soft up the middle going back, oh at least 5 seasons ( don't blame Gailey for this).

It would be great to see these two big freshmen get off to a good start.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71Bee... Is ANYTHING gailey's responsibility?

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
[/be]We have a history of being soft up the middle going back, oh at least 5 seasons ( don't blame Gailey for this).

It would be great to see these two big freshmen get off to a good start.[/be]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71Bee... Is ANYTHING gailey's responsibility?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You haven't read my past comments, that's ok though, I haven't read yours either...

I came out for canning Gailey after the UGA game, as captain of a ship run aground. If you support the principal that the final authority rest with the captain of the ship, then I blame him for losing 5 games last season. (I can relate to this comparison, I sunk a jeep once.)

Also, the team not being prepared for the UGA game or the semi-bowl.

Finally, as a new hire, if he had been allowed to make the decisions for retaining all the staff and chose to keep BOB, then I would blame him for AJ getting so much play time and the predictable play calling.

here's something that gailey is definitely responsible for concerning our DL.

he is definitely responsible for finally bringing in two true Defensive Tackles in Wrotto and Newberry to the flats.

after years of O'Leary just dismissing recruiting tackles because they are just "too stupid", we have some hope.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
[/be]We have a history of being soft up the middle going back, oh at least 5 seasons ( don't blame Gailey for this).

It would be great to see these two big freshmen get off to a good start.[/be]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71Bee... Is ANYTHING gailey's responsibility?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You haven't read my past comments, that's ok though, I haven't read yours either...

I came out for canning Gailey after the UGA game, as captain of a ship run aground. If you support the principal that the final authority rest with the captain of the ship, then I blame him for losing 5 games last season. (I can relate to this comparison, I sunk a jeep once.)

Also, the team not being prepared for the UGA game or the semi-bowl.

Finally, as a new hire, if he had been allowed to make the decisions for retaining all the staff and chose to keep BOB, then I would blame him for AJ getting so much play time and the predictable play calling.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I read as many of your posts as I can 'cause you almost always have something interesting to offer... Hadn't read any regarding gailey, wasn't sure what your opinion was.. Kind of surprised, actually... I will be joining you soon in, "a new year is on the horizon mode"... can't come soon enough...
smile.gif

Originally posted by ylojk8:
here's something that gailey is definitely responsible for concerning our DL.

he is definitely responsible for finally bringing in two true Defensive Tackles in Wrotto and Newberry to the flats.

after years of O'Leary just dismissing recruiting tackles because they are just "too stupid", we have some hope.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Have to agree with you on that one, ylo.. Very interested to see what Newberry can do.. good grief ! 6'1" 310 LBS, great DT size ! Got a feeling Wrotta may end up on the OL when it is all said and done, but if he can contribue this year it would be great 'cause we sure can use the bodies, especially a big one...

Wrotto and Newberry at 310+ a piece is a nice start. Wrotto was all-state AND can play OL and Newberry was a state weightlifting champ.

I also had to grin and bear it during the GOL reign with the soft defensive underbelly. I'm starved for a tough, no-necked front that plugs the middle, forces the run outside into our DE's, LB's and DB's waiting arms and generally worrying the OL. There's not much better than forcing the opposing QB to look into the eyes of OL that have their hands full or are getting whipped. Man, if only one of the new guys or Parker, Brezina & Billy could turn the internior DL play up a notch... Wonder if Tenuta's thought of this?
grin.gif

I think if Gathers comes back full strength and at least 270lbs he may well play DT.

Well the numbers get thinner at DT. There is no doubt this position will get a lot of early attention.

We do have three incoming Freshmen OLs plus the big lineman from Clark University. We seem to be sufficient in the offensive line for quantity of players. We could see some shifting from the offensive line to Defensive Tackle.

Okay, back to the one-platoon era. Maybe some of the third stringers at Guard and Tackle could also put in some time at the DT position.

As someone has suggested, Gathers could possibly play some at DT if healthy. We also have numbers at the Tight End position. Either Foschi or Tarquinio could be tried at DT.

The DT position has really piqued my curiosity. Both Spencer and Tenuta will be burning the midnight oil fitting the right pieces into the DT puzzle.

I will watch the progress at DT in Fall practice with a lot of interest.

A little more shaky than I first thought at this position.

Father Time.

With 6 FBs on the list, I expect to see Matthews to return to DT or DE for number reasons. In addition, we have 2 FBs who have started for us in Dixon and Jackson.
I thought Brezina had a good showing in the Spring scrimmage.
Differ Subj, but I think Gaston might get into RB contention unless Hatch and our true FR are ready to take over the position. I know he is a good DB, but he played both ways in HS and he has the size and speed necessary. Has anyone heard of others coming in or currently on roster who might be considered at RB.

Back