Demetris Robertson decision coming [after LOI deadline]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AP classes are "normal" classes, "normal" classes are remedial, remedial are special ed, special ed are gone because it's cruel.

I didn't realize this. 25 years ago at my school you could take 1 or 2 and it was only the very top students doing that. I've noticed as the years have gone by that I now hear about kids taking a dozen AP classes. So have they really gotten easier? Do colleges still give out credit for them like they used to? Since the trend in college has been to increase credit hours required for graduation, I assume to maximize revenue, then they would drop AP credit in a second if the classes were getting easier.

I didn't realize this. 25 years ago at my school you could take 1 or 2 and it was only the very top students doing that. I've noticed as the years have gone by that I now hear about kids taking a dozen AP classes. So have they really gotten easier? Do colleges still give out credit for them like they used to? Since the trend in college has been to increase credit hours required for graduation, I assume to maximize revenue, then they would drop AP credit in a second if the classes were getting easier.

Seemed like GPA padding when my daughter was in school.

It's Thursday

thursday%20%20is%20the%20new%20friday.png

Colleges still give credit for AP scores, and the expectation has gone up to take them. It's very difficult to get into GT, for example, without taking an AP Math and and AP science course.

I'm not sure if AP courses are easier now than before. The percentages of passing the final exam are about the same over the last 5 years (which is what makes AP and IB different than "Honors" or "Advanced" - all students take a standardized test at the end of the year and are calibrated). What is different is that students now give those classes more importance.

it seems like AP has been influenced by the success around the world of the IB programme (International Baccalaureate) fashioned similar to the British A-levels.

IB always allowed you to structure a "diploma" by taking a prescribed collection of courses and also a class called Theory of Knowledge (ToK) that was a more philosophical look at learning and knowledge itself

i think that AP lets you build that diploma now too.

why? this is less relevant for US schools i think, but if you want to study somewhere overseas the IB was always easier to use as a basis for that. AP tried to simulate that to gain traction for intl students in the US and also for US students wishing to go overseas

Are there any lawyers on Stingtalk that would be willing to take legal action against anyone perpetuating this thread after today?

thursday 1.jpg

Did you know that the Hindenberg crashed on a Thursday ... I'm just saying

I've been following recruiting since Ross Years. Have never seen or heard anything like this. Recruiting has really changed. For the fan it really started with "boarder wars" online. Before that it was all magazines and fishwrappers.

It's up to him and his family, and their certainly unique in all this. I'm sure they have reasons. It's a life decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back