Derrick Morgan

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I see on the wire that Morgan is retiring from the NFL. I wonder if there is any chance to get him on the staff as LB's coach? From the way I read the rules I think we could add one more coach to the roster.

BranMart

Vegetables taste like sad.
Sounds like he may be moving a different way from his announcement.

bonham

Dodd-Like
Man, I can't wait to get these types of players again. This guy was a joy to watch.

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Yeah not sure what direction he is going but would love to have another former GT player with NFL experience on The Flats again.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I see on the wire that Morgan is retiring from the NFL. I wonder if there is any chance to get him on the staff as LB's coach? From the way I read the rules I think we could add one more coach to the roster.
Would it matter if he knew how to coach and recruit?

oldgold68

Bitter old man
Sounds like he may be moving a different way from his announcement.
If he went through the hassle of getting an MBA, it appears he is looking for more than a place to park his money. Hope he makes a difference.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
In the summer of 2005 my son was at the GT camp. That afternoon he drew a pretty rough assignment in a pass blocking/pass rushing drill. It was Derrick, a year younger, but already a handful to block. After Morgan kept just using his speed to get around him with ease, Coach Dee showed my son better footwork and technique so that he at least made contact with him. Of course, then Derrick used his strength. All in all my kid learned some good things at the camp to get ready for his senior year. These last nine years he has enjoyed saying of Derrick Morgan, “I spent a long afternoon trying to block that guy.” I wish him well in retirement.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
It's nice to see GT alumni like Calvin Johnson and D. Morgan showing off their GT life skills after their great NFL careers.
I think CGC is on the right track showcasing "Legends of the Flats" and lauding achievements on and off of the field.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
Sevenish years ago I was in the nosebleeds at a Titans game when Morgan made a big tackle. I heard a guy behind me make a comment to his friends along the lines of "that's the guy that gave our QB much trouble a few years ago". Turned around and he was wearing a Mississippi State hat. Gave him a friendly "Go Jackets".

Morgan didn't have a superstar career in the NFL, but he was solid and reliable AF (as evident by his 9 year career). I always wondered how different his trajectory may have been in a different scheme (primarily played in a 3-4 during his NFL career when I think a 4-3 may have suited him better), but I loved having him on the Titans. I'd love to see him around GT's program in some capacity in the future. Best of luck to him whatever he does, although I know he won't need it.