Did any alums on here take part in this?

A couple of years ago, I agreed to be interviewed by someone I thought was from the Tech Alumni Assoc about my memories from Tech. I was among many who were asked, and I just received the actual book this week, my interview included. Unfortunately the Alumni Assoc is not even aware of it (at least according to the person I spoke to earlier, and no copies are available by the company that published the book (PEI) to anyone other than those interviewed. Also, it is illegal to copy the book, so I can't even share it with anyone. Quite a few people's names are included in the book that any Tech fan would recognize. None of my personal friends took part, but did anyone on here whose name I would not recognize do so?

Yes, my Father was interviewed in about 2016 by the Alumni Association and they gave him a CD of the interview and told him it would be saved in an effort to record the history of the school. About a 1 hour interview.

Never heard it would be part of a book.

Yes, my Father was interviewed in about 2016 by the Alumni Association and they gave him a CD of the interview and told him it would be saved in an effort to record the history of the school. About a 1 hour interview.

Never heard it would be part of a book.
I think that is something completely different, because the told me at the start that it would part of a book, and I was never offered a copy of the recording. Although I have only scanned through it so far it appears that the earliest interviews were in 2022

I remember doing a phone interview with them a couple of years ago and getting the sales pitch for the book and stuff, which I didn’t order.

It seemed like it was something endorsed by GT, but maybe not. Definitely a different thing from what the other guy described, which sounded like the GT living history project.

JRjr

A couple of years ago, I agreed to be interviewed by someone I thought was from the Tech Alumni Assoc about my memories from Tech. I was among many who were asked, and I just received the actual book this week, my interview included. Unfortunately the Alumni Assoc is not even aware of it (at least according to the person I spoke to earlier, and no copies are available by the company that published the book (PEI) to anyone other than those interviewed. Also, it is illegal to copy the book, so I can't even share it with anyone. Quite a few people's names are included in the book that any Tech fan would recognize. None of my personal friends took part, but did anyone on here whose name I would not recognize do so?

Is the book for sale anywhere? Did they give you your copy for free?

Sounds like one of those “Who’s Who” sort of things where you can be in the list if you pay for the list.

Is the book for sale anywhere? Did they give you your copy for free?

Sounds like one of those “Who’s Who” sort of things where you can be in the list if you pay for the list.

Yeah, I think it was that kind of thing. You had to buy the book direct from the company doing it. As I recall, they asked some basic “who was you favorite player,” “what was your favorite game” kinds of questions.

JRjr

Isn't it illegal to copy any copyrighted material anyway?

This has been around for quite a while with the "sponsoring agency" supposedly honcho'ing it.

Tailhook, GTAA, GIT, and a whole host of others have had their names used to try to sell their "compilations." Four or five years ago after getting yet another postcard, I called their 1-800-number & all I got was a sales pitch, so I hung up on 'em & zapped a email to the agency was supposedly behind the endless stream of postcards.

It's been a while, but if I see one now, it goes in the shredder.

I have a couple of Clemson alums staying with me this week for the Masters, One of them, when I showed him the book, said that Clemson (or whoever actually does it) is also a participant in the project. A comp0any name PEI conducted the interviews and published the books, but, sad to say, they are only available to those who were interviewed and who purchased the book. The lady I spoke to for more than an hour did not ask any "who is your favorite player" kind of questions or worthless "what is you favorite ice cream flavor" kind if questions. She asked a more-or-less basic question about recounting how I became a Tech fan, why I went to Tech, what were some of my best and worst memories of Tech, what was my all time favorite game, and then she let me do all the talking. It did cost a lot, but having now received it, I have no regrets at all. It is an awesome compilation of stories and memories, and I was really stunned and pleased to see that not only was a portion of my interview used, but I got a full page, whereas, some were only a quarter page. I don't have my book handy right now, but there were several "jocks" in there, including Reggie Wilkes, Randall Edmunds, and Durant Brooks. There may be others, but I have only had time to skim through it so far. I have no idea who PEI got my name and phone number, but I have absolutely no regrets that they did. I just wish the book were available for all Tech fans to see and enjoy.

the upshot of this whole thread is that the see-eye-eh? is getting mighty creative with their data harvesting ops

How much for the book, cause this doesn't seem like a viable business model.
I don't remember now what I had to pay, but to get a second copy, only available to those who received the first one, it costs $200.00. It is apparently only available to the original subscribers, but I would think that surely somebody at Tech, either alum association or athletic association, would have copies. Based on a conversation I had with an alumni rep yesterday, they don't, although she did say she would check just to be sure and get back to me. After talking with her, I checked the into to the book, and it said it had been arranged by the athletics association, so I will probably check with them too, once (if) I hear back from her. $200.00 is obviously way overpriced, but I frankly have no regrets; it's a an awesome compilation of comments by Tech alums, including several jocks.

I’m glad I declined the interview. It just seemed like something was off st the time. I kept asking them questions and they were dodgy. I figured it was a scam, surprised to hear it was legit.

I’m glad I declined the interview. It just seemed like something was off st the time. I kept asking them questions and they were dodgy. I figured it was a scam, surprised to hear it was legit.
Good to know that you got the call. I wouldn't call it a scam at all, but it IS puzzling why only the interviewees are able to get copies of it, regardless of the price. The lady who interviewed me was very open about everything, including questions that I asked her. In fact, she really seemed interested in what I had to say, making positive comments about what I said. Apparently you got someone who didn't really know much.

Hmmm maybe I was instructed incorrectly. Just did a search on it and found the following:
  • Fair use (mostly). In a case alleging 75 instances of infringement in an educational setting, a district court, proposing a fair use standard based on less than 10% of a book, determined that 70 instances were not infringing. On appeal, the Eleventh Circuit rejected the 10% standard and emphasized the importance of a flexible case-by-case fair use analysis. The case was remanded to the district court which, in 2016, found the majority of instances to be fair use. Important factors: On remand, the second factor (the scholarly nature of the work) and the fourth factor (impact of the use on the market value) weighed in favor of fair use. Cambridge University Press v. Patton, 769 F.3d 1232 (11th Cir. Ga. 2014).
So apparently a case by case standard now applies. But it does appear as long as you copy a tad less than 10 percent you are fairly safe.

The lady I spoke to for more than an hour did not ask any "who is your favorite player" kind of questions or worthless "what is you favorite ice cream flavor" kind if questions. She asked a more-or-less basic question about recounting how I became a Tech fan, why I went to Tech, what were some of my best and worst memories of Tech, what was my all time favorite game, and then she let me do all the talking.
Sounds like a lot of cool stories, bro

Back