Did CG comment that boards were hurting?

law_bee

Dodd-Like
http://pub210.ezboard.com/fthehivefrm1.showMessage?topicID=10451.topic

the above post on the hive alludes to the fact that CG has stated the boards (actually it is stated the hive, but I cannot imagine stingtalk is different) were hurting recruiting.

Can anyone shed light on where/when these comments were made?

I actually think boards probably do hurt recruiting however they help the fan support or lack of it by providing an anonymous medium to post your views.

However I agree w/ the posters that state GTAA can do more to embrace the hive/stingtalk. I DO NOT think a head coach should ever go on a board however I do believe there could be more involvement by "authorized" people.

There are MANY rumors that are left unchallenged b/c noone will rebut them. I can tell you that message boards are here to stay so better to use them then get bruised by them.

Law, here is the original post that the one you linked to was referring to.

Unless Marine Buzz is lying (I don't know the guy), it seems as though Chan really thinks these boards can and have hurt recruiting.

Chan tells it

Personally, I don't think I could post ANYTHING that would hurt recruiting more than his "gameplans" for UGA and Fresno State did.

Originally posted by DustJacket:
Personally, I don't think I could post ANYTHING that would hurt recruiting more than his "gameplans" for UGA and Fresno State did.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree. Everything I've seen you post has had the impact of a mouse tee-teeing on cotton

I have to agree with DustJacket & BellySeries on this issue.

wink.gif

It is the Chicken or the Egg argument-- which came first!

The criticisms on the board came from the underacheivement of our football team.

If I was a coach that was concerned about negativity (accountability) then I would try to perform at a REALLY HIGH level.

I assure you if we start the year 2 and 0 CG will not be complaining about the boards.

[/QUOTE]I agree. Everything I've seen you post has had the impact of a mouse tee-teeing on cotton[/QB][/QUOTE]

LOL PIMP - That made my afternoon, Bellyseries. Thanks.

Doesn't our constitution give everyone freedom of speech both good and bad? After the last 2 seasons we GT fans needed to express our opinions. Granted some are malicious but most fonts want the best for GT.

pat.gif
shocked.gif

I agree Law if we take off 2-0 CG won't be hearing any wailing, however if he starts 0-2 the volume will be deafening. I hope our injured will return 100% and we can get some steady QB play
along with a well prepared team and the house will be filled with crazies.

With this attractive schedule we have CG will have an excellent opportunity to unite all of the doubters. I think this season is critical for our long term success because image is important with HS kids and we have an opportunity to make some positive impressions on them. Hope we can fill the voids in the def. backfield and have a few of our young recruits to step up and give us a lift.
If all these things happen we could be pleasantly surprised. I surely hope so.

I'm not disagreeing that our play on the field last year hurt in recruiting. What we as fans do here and now can have an effect as well. Some people don't believe it does. If only a little it certainly can. Two wrongs don't make a right.
wink.gif

The biggest difference in what happened on the field is the fact that it's in the past. Can't change the past. Can live for here and now for the future.

GO Jackets!

I agree with Dustjacket, belly, and ahso. It sounds more like a pathetic excuse to me. If he is up against Richt and the kid sees an SEC Ring or our loss to UGAG it ain't this boards fault. Same with Clemson - hey we beat them. Same with Ralph - hey we beat them. Same with FSU - hey we beat them, they have never beat us and here is our Conference and national championship rings. It ain't the boards fault.

Next he will blame empty seats on the boards. After Dallas and Miami you would think this guy would be used to having his lousy game plans and poor execution knocked by the fans and fish wraps.

GOL complained about the press all the time but NEVER blamed poor recruiting on the press.

Originally posted by jacketsrule:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree. Everything I've seen you post has had the impact of a mouse tee-teeing on cotton[/QUOTE]

LOL PIMP - That made my afternoon, Bellyseries. Thanks.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Thank goodness somebody got it, jacketsrule!
wink.gif

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
I'm not disagreeing that our play on the field last year hurt in recruiting. What we as fans do here and now can have an effect as well. Some people don't believe it does. If only a little it certainly can. Two wrongs don't make a right.
wink.gif

The biggest difference in what happened on the field is the fact that it's in the past. Can't change the past. Can live for here and now for the future.

GO Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">To me the two events, posting criticisms of coaching and last season’s poor results are not independent events ("two wrongs don't make a right"),they are inseparably intertwined. Postings are neither good nor bad, just reflections of how the fans feel.

On a related comment about freedom of speech, I believe fan boards are the better for allowing great latitude of expression. Dampening that expression would IMO be a mistake. Having said that, the Board is not owned by the public and therefore we the public have no right to post here or make the rules for those that do post.

For the latitude we are given, for a place to exchange views and opinions, I’m grateful.

Its not posting criticism.......its the infantile behavior showed by some posters on this board and the Hive. There is a right way to criticize and there is a wrong way to criticize. Posting sophmoric jokes about the head coach is not the right way to criticize!!

Originally posted by 71Bee:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GTTerrific:
wink.gif

GO Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">To me the two events, posting criticisms of coaching and last season’s poor results are not independent events ("two wrongs don't make a right"),they are inseparably intertwined. Postings are neither good nor bad, just reflections of how the fans feel.

On a related comment about freedom of speech, I believe fan boards are the better for allowing great latitude of expression. Dampening that expression would IMO be a mistake. Having said that, the Board is not owned by the public and therefore we the public have no right to post here or make the rules for those that do post.

For the latitude we are given, for a place to exchange views and opinions, I’m grateful.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71bee, I'm not making up rules for posters. I'm expressing my opinion. You pulled up my quote and used it to express yours, which is cool.

I don't have a problem with people posting criticism of coaching. Never have never will. You bring up "freedom of speech" like a lot of people do on this board. Probably a good thing it's brought up as well. That freedom doesn't allow any one person to say what they want when they want.

My post had to do with people saying that last years coaching had more to do with recruiting than our posts here or on other boards. I agree that it could have. I also brought up the differences between what we post now and what happened last year AS I SEE IT.

"Postings are neither good nor bad, just reflections of how the fans feel."... as you stated it. That's cool. Depends on how you look at what good and bad is. I'm not being critical here. Just want to point out that words spoken or written have consequences. They do have an impact. They do mean something. One persons views can have impact on others if they are spoken or written. Those consequences can be good or bad.

originally posted by belly (PIMP?)
I agree. Everything I've seen you post has had the impact of a mouse tee-teeing on cotton
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">your facetiousness goes unappreciated by most...that's a pisser ain't it.
wink.gif

Now to my thoughts, particularly on the freedom of speech comments.

1) You have the freedom to burst into your boss's office and tell him off using much profanity and moon him as you are leaving while yelling obscenities about his wife/her husband. BUT you don't because that would be detrimental. **Refrain from that which is detrimental to GT.**

2) Your freedoms diminish greatly when you voluntarily put yourself in cohorts with others and agree to abide by certain restrictions and when they have the power to kick you off the board

I'm for freedom and liberty (in fact I have a Libertarian slant to my ideas,) but I realize
that I have the responsibility to act appropriately in given circumstances.

originally posted by 71
Postings are neither good nor bad, just reflections of how the fans feel
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Posting concerns, disappointments, and even anger after a loss or even after the season is understandable, but the problem is when the posts become peppered with derision. When the posts cast a shadow of failure over the whole program they become weak links in the chain of which fans are a part.

maybe this is why Chan is not giving out alot of information to us because of what he is reading on these boards.It has to affect him because it affects me from time to time.

While we're at it why not try to at least get the context of what Chan said correct. I know that's a lot to ask from this group.

Chan didn't bring up internet message boards, a question was posed to him.

He didn't blame message boards for anything, he's happy with the class he signed. What would he blame somebody for?

He said WTTE of negative stuff about coaches, players and recruits doesn't help when recruits and their parents read them. What's to argue about there? He didn't say it kept kids from signing, although IY Cunningham has been pretty outspoken that fan message boards did have something to do with his decision (I'm not saying it kept him from coming to Tech, he's never said what boards bothered him and I'm guessing we weren't his second choice).

Once again, Chan answers a direct question with the same answer any coach would give and gets raked over the coals. Fridge, Zook and many others are on record with their opinions of what the internet has done to recruiting. Chan isn't the only coach to comment on this. And we wonder why he doesn't want to talk to us.

The coaches are paid big bucks to coach and are always open for criticism. It is part of the game and each coach should recognize that or get out of the game. In my estimation, they know this, so it should not be an issue.

The only other thing I can see that makes a big difference is the criticism of Suggs remaining as the quarterback during the season when he was ineffective. While it is true, he could have easily read the boards, it still is a fact of life.

Even if it were not discussed on the boards, there are 50,000 at the stadium observing the action, so all of those fans are not ignorant of our ineffective quarterback play last year.

Add to that, the comments made by the TV analysts and the millions of onlookers watching the games. How could anyone not notice the ineptness of our quarterback play last year. So, even if it were not talked about on the board, everyone is still aware of the deficiency last year.

I assume any recruit interested in Tech viewed our games when they were on TV and also heard the analysts' views of the quarterback deficiency. What could have been added on the boards that was not visible to the rest of America.

I say let the coaches coach, the players play, and the fans enjoy our Monday Morning Quartebacking.

rolleyes.gif

In lieu of the above, how could the remarks on the board change anything?

Personally, I think it would be pure ignorance and stupidity to omit areas of the game or team for discussion that are key elements and deficiencies noted by all. As someone has said, the boards are here to stay, so the coaches had better get used to the comments made on them.

After all, both of these boards are privately owned, are not the property of Tech, and others could easily replace them if these were closed down. Since we do have the freedom of speech in America, what would stop another board from opening up to discuss the same topics.

I see no solution, other than the coaches, players, and fans getting used to the idea of open discussions on the boards. As someone else has mentioned, Florida's board was not kind to Zook, and they had the number one recruiting class in America.

ahsoisee, you miss my point completely. What Chan is talking about is a 17-18 year old kid reading message boards that say

1. the coach sucks and should be fired now
2. our players suck I don't know why they are on scholarship
3. the kids we are recruiting suck we'll never beat State U with players like that

He doesn't care about what people say about him. He also didn't say kids won't pick a school if the message boards are negative. He was asked a question and responded by telling the truth.

I can't understand how anyone could look at the example above without agreeing with what Chan said. It may not hurt in most case but there is no way it can help. How would you feel if you read fans saying you weren't good enough to be recruited by XX University? Most kids probably either ignore it or try to prove posters wrong. Some however decide they don't want to play for that school. IYC evidently took that into consideration in making his decision.

I know people will criticize coaches and I agree that comes with the territory. But some of the crap posted here about our recruits EVEN BEFORE THEY SIGNED was just stupid. That's the stuff every coach in the country would like to stop. I know they can't but it's not just Chan's view, they all feel that way.

Back