Did CG comment that boards were hurting?

ncjacket,
You understand, good post. I've gone through this in another thread, but some people can't comprehend what we're saying.

I've coached kids who were recruited, and they very "fickle" when it came down to making the decision. This was before the internet was prevalent in schools and was in a rural area where most of the kids could not afford access at home, so I didn't have that experience directly. But the more info that is accessible, the more they will absorb.

As for now, this is how I see it.
No one is asking for a cessation of game analysis, coaching analysis, or even performance analysis, but when last season is history and the team and staff is preparing for next, why belittle the abilities of players whom you have not yet seen play? Why criticize a coaching staff and a coaching system which was compiled and designed with success in mind? Why take information that is at best positive, at worst unproven, and pronounce it failed, useless, and obtuse?

Some are sold on the idea that there will be no success until CCG is gone and a new HC and staff is brought in. It's even been said that this year we will just be "going through the motions." If that is your attitude, why worry with this year? If it's hopeless, take the year off, save yourself a couple of years of your life that are most likely being shaved away by your frustrations. Watch ESPN, catch the score, shake your head and say "I told them so." Read the newspapers and wait until the new staff is hired and then jump back in the fray.

I got called away from the computer and have lost my train of thought. I feel strongly about all of this, so I won't continue without "the fire in my belly." Maybe I'll be back later.

But see it cuts both ways. If you want people excited when you win those same people are going to be pissed off when you underperform.

You don't see people complaining about a 1pt loss where the team left it on the field. However when the team quits against its in-state rival there are going to be MANY who get pissed off.

By having a forum to air this out and know that this is being read by GTAA actually probably helps and keeps people buying season tix and donating money.

It comes down to accountability. Don't serve us chickenshit and call it chickensalad. We are not idiots. We watched the Ugag and Fresno games.

It sounds nice to eliminate negativity but were you saying the same things during the Bill L_____ years.

I dont think it is a coincidence that BOTH the hive and stingtalk have problems w/ people pissed off.

Turn the program around and everything will be ok. Start the season 0&2 and it won't be 10 people on the hive it will be 100+ pissed off.

Do I think posters go too far and should be more articulate when they offer criticism, YES. I think criticism should strive to be constructive, however that was the worst loss in GT history. This program is not 10 years old.

lawbee, I don't care about negativity within some bounds of reason. I expect people to be upset over the Ga loss, I was too and still am. I just don't see the point in criticizing recruits, making fun or our own coaches and players and some of the doom and gloom posted here. That's all. If you want to post like that it's your prerogative. But there is a consequence to everything. If we are always positive about things even when there is no reason, we help perpetuate things. If we are always negative even when things go well, we make it appear that nothing will ever be good enough. Either one is not what sports are supposed to be about, especially college sports, IMO.

I guess my other thought is for those who disagree and say what they post doesn't matter, then why post? Do you have that low self esteem that you don't even have hopes of convincing one person that you are right? And if you do that, haven't you had some effect on the program? At the least you help create the mind set of Tech fans. We can be positive and upbeat or we can be negative and destructive. With enough of one or the other we will have an impact on the program. To me Braine's letter (which I never would have done) was prompted by fan angst at the end of the year. You don't think what's posted here was partially the reason for that? And if you think it was a bad idea or hurt recruiting or made us a laughing stock, then we had a hand in it.

Originally posted by spellingbee:
I'm for freedom and liberty (in fact I have a Libertarian slant to my ideas,) ...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I bet you're no Libertarian when some kid spells "privilege" with a "d."
smile.gif

I agree with your post, of course. And ncjacket, as usual, is saying reasonable things. There are times to be disappointed to the point of tears and furniture smashing, like last year's pup game. That is respectable fan devotion. It is always appropriate to offer constructive criticism. But there is NEVER a proper time for sneering at Georgia Tech and the people who are determined to, and who are working at, keeping and extending her traditions as a great sports school. Sometimes they fail, as Bill Lewis did. C'est la vie-life has its disappointments.

Right now we have a dedicated, experienced, successful head coach and staff and as GTT said, now is when we should get behind them. Let me add that now is also when we should ENJOY them, not simply feel some moral obligation to be nice. Right now we're even with Miami in the 2003 rankings (yes, and with Buffalo), it's Hot Stove League time. And we're talking about college football, not what to do about N. Korea.

Let's enjoy!

NCJacket, we have an option of reporting a post to the administrator if we think it is way out of line.

If the administrator does not think it is out of line and leaves the post, then we have no alternative nor right to force our views on others.

For instance, there have been many posts on the coaches determination to leave Suggs in the games and not substitute Bilbo, Camp, bring up Logan or some other quarterback. This was a very prominent concern of many fans and a very controversial topic.

There was no way to discuss the topic without bringing Suggs name into the discussion and his apparent failings in parts of his game. Was it not appropriate to discuss this very important aspect of Tech's football games this past season?

Also, some have stated that Xxxxxxx recruit is slow and does not seem to have the speed desired for the position, or someone appeared to be too light for the postion. Is this not football and are those topics not legitimate issues for fans to discuss?

Again, if the moderator receives a complaint and allows the post to remain, then it must be okay. I see no problem. If we see an article that we feel has stretched the limits of discussion, then we have the option of bringing it to the moderators attention. That should then be the end of it.

wink.gif

lawbee said
But see it cuts both ways. If you want people excited when you win those same people are going to be pissed off when you underperform.

You don't see people complaining about a 1pt loss where the team left it on the field. However when the team quits against its in-state rival there are going to be MANY who get pissed off.

By having a forum to air this out and know that this is being read by GTAA actually probably helps and keeps people buying season tix and donating money.

It comes down to accountability. Don't serve us chickenshit and call it chickensalad. We are not idiots. We watched the Ugag and Fresno games.

It sounds nice to eliminate negativity but were you saying the same things during the Bill L_____ years.

I dont think it is a coincidence that BOTH the hive and stingtalk have problems w/ people pissed off.

Turn the program around and everything will be ok. Start the season 0&2 and it won't be 10 people on the hive it will be 100+ pissed off.

Do I think posters go too far and should be more articulate when they offer criticism, YES. I think criticism should strive to be constructive, however that was the worst loss in GT history. This program is not 10 years old.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">law,
I'm not against negative remarks when the situation presents itself. I'm tolerant of those who take the negativity farther than I would. My point is NOW, and during recruiting season, viscious predictions and evaluations are and were being made on commits and prospects and coaches.

No one was blind to last season's follies, and many decisions and games left everyone scratching their heads. That was immense expression of dissatisfaction, disappointment, concern, confusion, and anger--so be it.

But now GT is in the position to right those wrongs. In fact, if I know the inner workings of CCG like I believe pratically all coaches with whom I have been associated with work, he was working toward this coming season as soon as he finished kicking himself for ugag and fres st.

My comments about "checking back in" after a new staff is hired simply refers to those who honestly believe that GT football is lost until CCG is fired. If they are that certain, why bother. It's not even an issue of expecting a bad season but hoping for better; some have written the whole thing off.

If a poster wants to curse, slam, flame, or worse, it doesn't hurt my feelings. I can read it all day and not change my perspective. HOWEVER, there should be restraint given that there is evidence of potential harm to recruiting, especially during the "heart" recruiting season.

Are my thoughts that off from the rest? I feel like that urinating rodent of which belly spoke earlier in this thread.

ahsoisee, good points. I have mentioned players in posts myself from time to time. But to me there is a huge difference in saying player X just isn't make the plays, maybe we should be giving so-and-so a shot, or asking why somebody seems to have trouble making a certain throw or catch, and saying he sucks and the only reason he plays is the coaches are idiots.

Also when talking about recruits, I don't see any harm in asking if a player's 40 time is legit and if so isn't that slower than you want in a certain position and saying we shouldn't be recruiting him because he isn't good enough to help us beat Ugag or that if he's considering a lower tier school he's not good enough for us.

Maybe it's just me but I think there is a clear difference.

NCJacket, there may be one aspect we are overlooking. I don't want to knock the youth, because there are some very good young people on our board. I do hear some remarks that sound like my eighteen year old grandson.

When I hear the words "Xxxxx sucks", I immediately think of a very young individual making that remark. It is a favorite expression of my grandson and others his age, so it is possible some of these remarks are being made by younger people who have not given their remarks a lot of thought.

I do agree some of the remarks seem off-base and are very immature remarks regardless of the age of the individual.

I have no problem with thoughtful discussions even though a player or recruit may come under scrutiny, but I agree with your assessment of the crude remarks.

smile.gif

Back