Do your car flags sound like a jack-hammer?

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Mine used to beat the crap out of the top of my car for years and I recently found some that hardly make a sound.

This is not a TV advertisement for $19.99 if you were starting to wonder...

Anyway - it just dawned on me that I wish someone had told me a LONG time ago - so - for any flag hater - now you know.

The yellow flags at the bookstore are made of a thicker - softer material and you can hardly tell they are there. The blue ones are made of something different (the same stuff every other flag I have ever had is made of) and they sound like a jackhammer on top of my car and make me want to throw them out the window.

I got to the point the last couple of years that I was magnets only until I got in the parking lot.

Now - different story. Car flags are like cole-slaw - - they are all different.

FYI - take it or leave it.

Bought some of the new ones last week, made of "poly". You definitely can't hear them and they do seem to be made of a more durable material, but they are more cheaply made than the old canvas-like ones that pound the roof of your car. Only single stitching which means they still like to come apart at the corner, take 'em home and double stitch 'em they should last twice as long.

Windsocks are also great, but I had to modify those too. Very little wear and tear on the material they're made of but still had to be shortened and double stitched.

This all may sound silly to some folks, but I like to be very visible as to what my mission is when i'm doing any travelling that is game related. Finally had to retire the old canvas flags after the UMd game, the trips to Vandy and Wake Forest left me with about 3 inches of yellow on both sides

AEs at Tech take an entire class on Flutter and Aeroelasticity. I just BARELY made it out with a C my very last semester at Tech, and about all I remember is that by changing the mass or stiffness of an object, you can tweak its Flutter characteristics....... Sounds like the new flags did just that.

At least someone is putting their knowledge to good use in making improved game day car flags!
Maybe it IS rocket science after all.

Go Jackets!

Hey GT Flunkout. What a waste,those flags had a least another hundred miles or so in them - lol!
drinking.gif

OK, lets be honest here. Raise your hand if you've rolled down a window by accident and lost a flag on the road...........
pat.gif

Those things should come with an INOP placard for the window and a lockout for the window circuit breaker.......

GJ!

Haven't lost one riding down the road (those child window locks come in handy!) but I will say that the wind socks are not meant for interstate travel. They look good intown, but don't hold up well at high speeds.

I had a similar experience with the jack-hammer sound, but it's because the roof height over the window is a good bit higher in an Expedition than it is in an Explorer. Don't know if they're changing the material or just making the posts taller.

GGB, you're probably right, but after that hundred miles I would be left with two posts and three yellow threads whippin in the wind!

The windsocks don't hold up well on the interstate..... as they're sold. But shorten and hem them two inches and stich up the undersides (which are left open for some unknown reason) and they'll last even at interstate speeds a lot longer than the flags.

I've lost two flags from the pole fatiguing at interstate speeds (just broke off, old style), i've lost one flag to a POS Notre Dame fan at the '98 Gator Bowl, and have only lost one other flag due to rolling down the window. Yes, those child window locks are great for controlling the riff-raf!
drinking.gif

JacksonJacket - this post was fro you.

It's not the roof height - it's the flags.

My two tailgate vehicles are an F-150 and an F-350 - No problems with the new flags even on the 350. Your expedition has a 250 frame, I'm pretty sure.

Get the different flags!

TF

I drive an Expedition and place my flag on the back window...It worked great till I pulled into the garage at home. Took a little effort to get un-wedged between the window and the garage door. I'll put it there again and make a note to self to remove it before entering the garage!!!

Originally posted by cropdusterengineer:
OK, lets be honest here. Raise your hand if you've rolled down a window by accident and lost a flag on the road...........
pat.gif

GJ!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I "Kiddie Lock" my windows! I'm not ABOUT to let that happen!!

I have literally lost more than I can count.

Even worse - I've lost two magnets off my door from hanging my arm out the window (after I lost the flags) playing with the magnet until the wind sent it flying.

TF,

Good to know, thanks for the info!

For those looking for good GT gear, there are College Fan stores at NorthPoint and Mall of Georgia that have a decent selection of GT stuff.

Somebody bought me the windsock variety.... I hate them. No tradition.
For special occasions, I still pull out the tattered and beautiful navy blue flags from the '90 season.
I don't mind the jack hammer effect. It sounds like..... VICTORY!!
grin.gif

Back