Does Anyone Remember a True Freshman

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
QB starting at Tech? I thought back to 1974 when I became a season ticket holder and there were none. Any before then? Was Kim King a true freshman?

Glad you asked MsTechAnalysis, Bill Brigman a true freshman from Glynn Academy at Brunswick, Ga. led our 1952 team to an undefeated season as well as a National Championship. He was quite a football player but then the rules committee mandated the one platoon rules where players had to play both ways and that effectively eliminated
Bill from any meaningful minutes as he wasn't gifted at defense.

Ms, not sure but I believe Mike Kelly started as a frosh and was our starter for 4 consecutive years. Tough guy with a good arm and big heart. THWG

I believe Eddie McShan (sp?) was a true freshman for the 1970 season.

Eddie Mcshan played on the freshman team his freshman season as freshmen were not eligible to play on the varsity. I'm not sure exactly which year the NCAA began to allow freshmen to play but I believe it was in the late 70's or early 80's.
I am sure there are someone with a better memory than I that can tell us. I can remember things that happened in the 30's and 40's better than I can some events that happened last year.

Let's not forget Charles Dudish. He didn't start the season but became the starter when Jack Williams (?) was injured in 1969 (?).'

An extraordinary athlete who gave us many thrills and as many chills before he imploded at Tulane.

Freshmen were not eligible for varsity participation but Dudish did have some fine moments his soph. year, especially against Southern Cal out there. He could have been a dandy if personal problems hadn't destroyed his career. Quite a talent.

I still can't remember when the NCAA made freshmen eligible. Herschel Walker played for UGA in 1980 as a frosh so the change in rules had to be in the late 1970's.

I watched Dudish play against the BullPups in the
frosh game and got kicked out of the game for arguing with the officials.

I do remember Kelly winning the starting job partway into his freshman season in '78 I think. Don't know about anyone earlier.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Freshmen were not eligible for varsity participation but Dudish did have some fine moments his soph. year, especially against Southern Cal out there. He could have been a dandy if personal problems hadn't destroyed his career. Quite a talent.

I still can't remember when the NCAA made freshmen eligible. Herschel Walker played for UGA in 1980 as a frosh so the change in rules had to be in the late 1970's.

I watched Dudish play against the BullPups in the
frosh game and got kicked out of the game for arguing with the officials.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BigBuck,

Thanks for the correction. I bow to a better memory,

It was his sophmore year, not many sophmores became starters in those days. Yes, a wasted talent.

Kelley started the 2nd half of the Cal game in '78 which was the 2nd game of the season, and led a great comeback which almost won the game for Tech. He was the starter for the rest of his 4 years. Kelley is the only true freshman I can think of who started, at least from 1951 [when I became a Tech fan ] onward.

I knew "I" couldn't remember any. But thanks for the information - I do remember Mike Kelly and yes he did start as a freshman as the year went on. I had forgotten that.

I was trying to think of someone who actually got the job with the 1st game of the season and drew a blank. Obviously, you all made me remember. It's interesting, especially in the 80's and 90's as gifted as athletes are these days, QB is a position that doesn't often start a 'true freshmen'.

I can't even think of other schools where that has happened. Does anyone know?

I thought Shawn Jones started as a true freshman...
Was he a red-shirt Frosh ?

I remember his first game well (at NCSU).
He threw a couple of interceptions, maybe even three, but you could just see his potential, and his air of confidence permeated through the stands that day.

Additionally, I had the unexpected pleasure of sitting next to his dad at the game, who (expectedly) was as nervous/excited as a human can be - also one heck of a nice guy !

Gold Rush:
Shawn was a redshirt freshmen. It's interesting, I think Mike Kelly was our only "true" freshmen and he didn't start the season.

I don't know of too many true freshmen that start for a Div. 1 school at QB. If there are any, I like to know who they are?

i think mike kelley was the only one, we are in way over our heads in this upcoming season and i feel a true freshman would be a recipe for disaster. i am not a chan fan as you all know but, imho damarius bilbo should be our qb for this season. even highly touted freshman quarterbacks struggle to adjust out of high school. my plan were i head coach would be , start bilbo and get some minutes in when and if the opportunity arrives for reggie ball. of course all of this will change when we bring in a new head coach for the 2004 season.

My Dad ( Former Tech QB Jimmy Southard ) Started a few games as a true freshman QB in 1946...( Back in the Day) Also, Mike Jolley started a few games a true freshman in mid-1970's....FYI
Many Thanks, John Southard, GT 33

GT33, you have every right to be very proud of your dad. He was a very fine QB but more than that he was a WINNER. I remember your dad very well although I am a few years older than your dad
he was one of my favorites. I don't know whether your father ever told you about it or not but your father also caught the winning TD from Red
Patton to beat Navy in 1947. We trailed the Middies 14-10 and it didn't look very good for Tech before Ole Dodd called the play and it worked. Everybody knew about how good your father was as a qb but I doubt there are too many of us who remember the TD reception.

Agree TML ... starting a "true" freshmen is would be very difficult. Hope DBo gets a chance and works very hard.

Didn't Joe Ham start as a true freshman? I don't recall him being redshirted...

Back