Does Anyone Remember a True Freshman

Hamilton was redshirted in '95, and a RS freshman in '96.

Someone mentioned Mike Jolley above. IIRC, he DID play some at QB as a true freshman in '76. At the time we were running the wishbone, so at least the playbook would have been simpler than what a true freshman would have to learn today.

Or would it? Am I off base here?

Originally posted by GT 33:
My Dad ( Former Tech QB Jimmy Southard ) Started a few games as a true freshman QB in 1946...( Back in the Day) Also, Mike Jolley started a few games a true freshman in mid-1970's....FYI
Many Thanks, John Southard, GT 33
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">_______________________________________

GT - I think you may have sent me an email a while back from a post on the Hive (for some reason, I was unable to reply...)

I think my dad was the back-up to your dad (ended up starting a few games due to injury). His name is Bubba Sykes - I can think of a few games, like UF, UT etc - back in '49. Was you dad still playing in '49 and '50?

He was also the punter back then. I've heard your dad's name mentioned many times ! Hope he is doing well.

Back to true Freshmen as starting QBs.

Wasn't Phillip Rivers a true freshman ?
HE was pretty darn good as a freshman as I recall.

Originally posted by Gold Rush:
Back to true Freshmen as starting QBs.

Wasn't Phillip Rivers a true freshman ?
HE was pretty darn good as a freshman as I recall.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Rivers kept popping up in the back of my mind, also but I'm too lazy to look it up. Somehow,Kentucky keeps nagging at me too, as a team which recently started a true frosh QB from the git go.

Rivers did start as a true freshman and played with the poise of a junior. This kid was coached by his father{or so I read} and this may give us a clue to his maturity.

Phillip Rivers started as a true freshmen and was/is successful. Still, there are not too many. If there are any more ... please list.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
phillip rivers was also groomed by norm chow, not chan gailey.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">TML: It's funny you should mention that. I have friends that went to NC State and they said as good as Rivers is, he hasn't been as good as his first and only year under Norm Chow! Chow went to USC after one year with NC State. Coaching can and does make a difference ... always.

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
phillip rivers was also groomed by norm chow, not chan gailey.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oh, I didn't realize this was at issue. But, hey, I think it's been established already that CG can't coach a lick, toe, and so we don't have a chance until we fire him. That's right, isn't it?

Suppose there is some school that would hire you as AD? You seem to know all about coaching personnel, and you know the future! Seems like an irresistable combination to me.

I remember both Bubba Sykes and Jimmy Southard playing for Tech. Since I was a teenager at the time and just beginning to listen to the Tech games on the radio, I don't remember many details about them.

I do remember about Bill Brigman. He is the best quarterback I have ever seen in college football when it comes to faking and handing the ball to his backfield mates.

That was during the bellyseries offense, and there were two halfbacks and a fullback in the backfield. It was very difficult to determine who had the ball after the play was under way. Most of the time the announcers were even confused about the location of the ball.

It was very often, the announcers would call a player down and the play over, only to discover one of Tech's other backs was headed for a long gain or a TD.

The referees whistled many of Tech's plays dead while a player was headed downfield for a long gain or a TD. It was a combination of the bellyseries and the extremely slick ball-handling by Bill Brigman.

He was in a class by himself as a ball handler, but as stated above, one-platoon football ended his quarterbacking days.

wink.gif

AHSO
thats pretty cool that you remember my dad.

One question: that bellyseries was awesome..
Why is it that no one uses it any more ?
I guess the Air Force Academy and Wake come the closest, but its a pale imitaton...I think the ole bellyseries would still be effective....

Goldrush, I too think it would be effective. The pendulum swings. It is a great offense for running the ball, but is not a sophisticated offense for passing. It is similar to the wishbone and the veer, which are running offenses.

Since the two halfbacks and the fullback are behind the quarterback, it takes them longer to get downfield if they are to be a receiver on a pass play. It is good for the flair pass or the half back option pass, but is not as effective as a halfback becoming a wide receiver close to the line of scrimmage.

It is all a matter of perspective and the type of offense a coach wants to use. We are now in the days of wide open offenses and skilled players (wide receivers). Even many high schools now have wide open offenses.

Years ago, high schools had poorer head coaches (the coach was for football, basketball, and baseball), so the offenses and players were not as skilled as today's athletes. Now a skilled athlete (wide receiver) wants to attend a college that has a wide open offense.

One other thing, most teams now recruit the fast defensive players (linebackers and cornerbacks), who can negate some of the running game.

Again, the pendulum swings.

wink.gif

FWIW P Rivers was groomed by his father, a HS coach in Alabama and enrolled early at State and had an extra semester and summer to get comfortable in the offense before his first game. He also benefited because everyone knew he would be starting from the minute he got to campus and everything was structured for that to happen. State didn't put him into positions he wasn't ready for because they tailored their offense for him. And yes, Norm Chow is a great coach and Rivers benefited from one-on-one work with him.

We on the other hand haven't built our offense around one player, at least not yet. But that doesn't mean we won't have good QB play next year.

Ahso -

Good points, I agree. Plus, I guess with todays ath
letes, and the quickness they have now, maybe there wouldn't have time to complete those fakes that the bellyseries requires.

It would be great to see some of it though, maybe in the red zone.

Back