Does Rev. Richt have "TMJ"?

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
Welcome to today's Sunday School Question: Does Coach Richt have "Too Much Jesus"? This question is not intended to be a battle of religion. It is a question as to whether or not Coach Richt wears his religion on his sleeve TOO much, or is he simply playing to a market to gain maximum fan support. While I personally find someone's religious beliefs to be a private matter, I can understand the importance of speading the gospel at the appropriate times and places. But, when Richt is asked a "football" question on TV or radio, he will often give a "Christian" testimonial. Even as a Christian myself, these responces from Coach Richt seem out of place and contrived. But Ol' Richt is smart enough to know that few, if any, in the media will ever call him on it.
Gailey is a very religious man, but does not seem to "play it" like Rev. Richt. What does everyone else think?
BOO

I agree with you.

IMO, a football game is not on the top of God's list as a "to do".

It reeks of piousness that God would be for one side against another.

To me, it sorta cheapens religion to use that venue.
wink.gif

I don't question the sincerity of his beliefs. However, I think he does go a little overboard. If you look at his ethics when it comes to football decisions, he's not a whole lot different than other coaches. When the football player was acquitted of rape, Richt immediately reinstated him. (It was a real shock that a jury Athens took the word of athletes over the word of a woman). Richt never conducted any kind of independent investigation to find out what a football player was doing out that late on a school night or said anything about what was at best immoral sexual conduct. Also, the recruiting of Terron Pullen. UGA never showed much interest in Pullen until very late and then recruited him very hard. UGA already had a strong class of defensive lineman coming in. The only reason UGA recruited him hard at the end was he had committed to Tech and they wanted to keep him from playing here. Those are not uncommon tactics among football coaches but they show the choir boy image is more of an illusion.

I have no problem with Richt wearing his beliefs on his sleeves as you've stated it. Actually I personally like it. Some may feel religion is more of a private matter. That's your opinion. Mark might have another opinion on the matter. He shows a personally relationship with Christ openly. Just because people have religion or "church" or call themselves a Christian doesn't mean they really have a personal relationship with the King of Kings. Those that have this personal relationship usually show it. Some more than others. Depends on personality and gifts they have.

This question has been turned into a moral issue by some regarding discipline. Also, proper recruiting of a player has been brought up as a moral issue. In my opinion we don't have the right to judge in either of these cases. I understand having an opinion on the issue. If people think that outward Christians feel they are perfect, I don't know why anyone would think that. Being a Christian sure doesn't make anyone perfect. It makes them forgiven in the eyes of God through Christ. That's not a moral issue as much as it is a state of being.

I think Mark Richt is a fine man. Love the way he shows his beliefs. Is he perfect? Heck know. I only know of one that was/is and they nailed him to a cross. Coach Richt IMO to this point has done a good job of coaching and maintaining integrity in the UGA program. That doesn't mean I don't want to slobber knock his team in the ground come Sat. I say we pulverize them for all they are worth. To God be the glory whatever turns on that given day win or lose.

You asked for my opinion. There you have it.

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by 3518techie:
When the football player was acquitted of rape, Richt immediately reinstated him. (It was a real shock that a jury Athens took the word of athletes over the word of a woman). Richt never conducted any kind of independent investigation to find out what a football player was doing out that late on a school night or said anything about what was at best immoral sexual conduct. Also, the recruiting of Terron Pullen. UGA never showed much interest in Pullen until very late and then recruited him very hard. UGA already had a strong class of defensive lineman coming in. The only reason UGA recruited him hard at the end was he had committed to Tech and they wanted to keep him from playing here.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">First of all, Richt didn't just let Brandon Williams back on the team. He suspended him for the first 3 games and he has barely seen the field this year.

Second, with regards to recruiting...sure we were having a great class, but we didn't get everyone we wanted. We started losing some guys on the DL like Chris Turner and the big DE from Jacsonville who's name escapes me at the moment, so we started in on Pullen. We did the same thing with Aaron Scranton, only he signed with us. Don't flatter yourself or cut the kid short by thinking that UGA wanted him only because Tech did. He's a quality player.

I get more than a little uncomfotable when football coaches or players use religion in the context of sports. It seems blashemous (sp?) to imply that God somehow favored UGA over Auburn in a football game.

My God I cannot believe what I'm reading. If you have accepted Jesus into your heart as Saviour, he is not part of your life only when it is politically correct, man you give him the praise and honor all the time. Read my post labeled, "Very Impressed With Richt's Faith."

South Georgia Jacket

Nothing wrong with giving God glory. That doesn't imply to me that God favors one team or anyone over another.

Originally posted by chambleedawg:
First of all, Richt didn't just let Brandon Williams back on the team. He suspended him for the first 3 games and he has barely seen the field this year.

Second, with regards to recruiting...sure we were having a great class, but we didn't get everyone we wanted. We started losing some guys on the DL like Chris Turner and the big DE from Jacsonville who's name escapes me at the moment, so we started in on Pullen. We did the same thing with Aaron Scranton, only he signed with us. Don't flatter yourself or cut the kid short by thinking that UGA wanted him only because Tech did. He's a quality player.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Richt did reinstate Williams with the 3 game suspension. The main reason he was reinstated was that UGA has lost 3/4 of its starting secondary and Williams was needed for depth. He hasn't played much because UGA's secondary has been healthy and performed pretty well. As far as Pullen goes, he was a DT. UGA already had Golston and Darius Swain. Pullen is an excellent recruit but he wasn't as highly touted as those 2. Scanton was more of a speed rushing defensive end. I am not questioning Richt's faith but it's clear when it comes to making football decisions, Richt makes the same borderline decisions other coaches makes. Other coaches keep ethically-challenged players on their team or recruit certain players to keep them away from other schools. My point is that Richt is no different.

I am with GTTerrific on this one... my interpretation is this.. each has their own personal relationship with who/whatever they believe in... his happens to be Jesus Christ ... I dont see anything wrong with anyone giving "thanks" to their creator no more than I think its wrong for someone to change their name to Mohammed ... from a personal perspective, I think Richt is only doing what I do on a daily basis.. thanking Him for working through me to get something done, whatever that is.... (not that our Lord is trying to win football games... we all know he only supports Notre Dame !)

There is not a whole lot in Athens that I like but
I have made the statement many times that I really like Mark Richt and I believe he is a fine man and coach. We are admonished in the scriptures
to share our faith. This should always be done with sensitivity to others and not as a weapon. It would be wrong for Mark Richt or any coach for that matter to use religion as measuring stick for
playing time or in any other way as to make a player feel threatened if he didn't accede to the coach's desires. But I haven't seen or heard of him doing this. A persons relationship with God is a reality conferred on us by God that we are his own by the new birth. It would be anomolous for the man to be a devout christian without it affecting his outlook on life as well as his relationships with others. I have no problem with him recruiting Pullen or anyone else that he felt would help his program. After all, being a christian is not synonymous with being a wimp. I am an ordained Deacon in a Baptist church but I don't go around telling everyone about it because I would hope that those that know me would sense
that I live by christian principles. I hope we kill the Dawgs but if Richt has a personal relationship with Christ, then he is my christian brother.

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, strength, and might". "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself".

If Richt is a dedicated Christian, maybe he cannot separate all his thoughts from his main objective. Maybe, he shouldn't. I don't know that I could make that decision.

I would not be surprised to see this thread moved to another category on the board by the time I look at it again.

wink.gif

Richt can believe whatever he likes, and he has the right to do whatever his religion persuades him he should do, such as "witness" publicly, so long as it does not break laws.

I doubt that those who approve of his sectarian Christian stance would be so happy and admiring if he held substantially different religious views from theirs. If he were a Muslim, encouraging players to go on retreat to learn how Muhammed is a prophet superior to Jesus; or if he were LDS, arguing that there is a revelation supplemental to the Bible, and advocating baptism for the dead;or even if he were Catholic, insisting on the veneration of Mary and the infallibility of the Pope, his piety would not be so popular.

I think mostly what is going on in this thread is Ghost being a wise guy, as usual, and others congratulating Richt on agreeing with them.

There is a certain amount of "playing to the crowd" that goes on in regards to religion with Richt.

Most smart football coaches in the South use it, and I can't blame them for it. Gailey has cited his beliefs many times. I don't quention how genuine their motives are, because I think they are genuine, but wearing it on their sleeve is a politically savvy thing for a coach in the Bible Belt to do.

I think it is regional thing in the South. I mean, noone has ever questioned Norm Chow or Gary Crowton on their religious devotion to their faith, but they never bring it up the way southern coaches do.

I've never actually met anyone with TMJ. Maybe TMR (Too much religion) but not TMJ. There is a difference.

Since when does he wear it on his sleeve? I think your judgement is clouded by the fact that his religious beliefs are common knowledge, as I've only heard him mention it a couple of times. The only time I can recall hearing it straight from Richt's mouth was after the Auburn game.

The Man himself once said "Judge not lest ye be judged."

I think its a bit awkward to hear in the football context but I believe he's totally sincere with no agenda other than making it clear that he answers to a calling bigger than winning football games. Knowing what he and his ol' lady have done through adoption tells me he doesn't just talk the talk.

I dont mind if he talks the talk as long as he walks the walk.

I think most will feel the same way.

Back