Don't Know If Suggs Problem Is Coaching Or...

SouthGa

Varsity Lurker
Don\'t Know If Suggs Problem Is Coaching Or...

if he just cannot make quick decisions and reads before and during the play. I'm sitting here watching David Greene and he is like a surgeon dissecting ARK. I think what made Godsey so good is what he had between the ears.

South Georgia Jacket

Re: Don\'t Know If Suggs Problem Is Coaching Or...

Originally posted by SouthGa:
I think what made Godsey so good is what he had between the ears.

South Georgia Jacket
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Gray "Goose" Matter? badump-*ching*

It is possible both Godsey and Suggs are smart people. Sometimes it comes down to quickness of reaction. Maybe, Godseys neural reception and transmission of signals from eye, to brain, to muscles are quicker. It could be that simple.

I have noticed in the games, Bilbo makes much quicker decisions than Suggs. He also has more zip on the ball, which is another matter (strength of arm and technique).

wink.gif

IMO, Suggs' deficiencies are those that cannot be coached up. See how fast and how far Green gets back to set up to throw? See him reading defenses?

BTW, HE HAS AN ALL SENIOR O-LINE TO PROTECT HIM, ALSO.

I do not think our qb coaches have done enough with AJ, but, like I said before, maybe he cannot be coached up.

Suggs will be never be anything but a mediocre quarterback. The biggest mistake Gailey made was not listening to O'Brien and keeping in Bilbo for the rest of the Wake Forest game. If Bilbo had started after Wake, the program would be in much better shape going into 2003. Gailey's biggest weakness as a coach is that he doesn't know how to handle talented quarterbacks. He didn't get along with Aikmen in Dallas. While Dallas was in decline anyway, he might have gotten past the first round of the playoffs if he had been on the same page with Aikman. If Dan Reeves had retired, there was some talk about Gailey replacing him. If that had happened, instead of being the leading candidate for MVP, Michael Vick would be on the bench behind some retread like Kent Graham because "he doesn't know the offense". It doesn't matter how many plays Bilbo knows. Wake Forest beat us running about 4 plays. I wouldn't have expected Bilbo to set the world on fire as a redshirt freshmen. It's a shame that we have a quarterback that IMHO has more raw talent than Greene or Shockly wasting away on the bench. We could be a surprise team in 2003 with Bilbo but instead we are heading to the lower echelon of the ACC with Suggs. Our defense was the reason we had a winning record this year. Next year, we lose 3/4 of the secondary. The defense will still be pretty good but won't be able bail out a mediocre offense like this year.

I never thought I would say this but, Dan Reeves is Mr. Personality compared to CG. I feel that the Falcons would be truly boring if CG was the coach. Please, nooooooo.

Originally posted by 3518techie:
Suggs will be never be anything but a mediocre quarterback...We could be a surprise team in 2003 with Bilbo but instead we are heading to the lower echelon of the ACC with Suggs.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">But never fear, Fred Flintstone is here!

Jonathan Smith for Heisman! Or something...

Joe Hamilton certainly would not have been first team all-american and heisman runner up with Gailey "developing" his talent. Most likely he would have lettered as a back-up wide receiver. Godsey may not have made the traveling squad except to hold for kicks.

I just love the experts who post here. I just want to know what you plan to do if Bilbo is the starter opening day next year, apologize to Chan or just act like nothing ever happened?

BTW, what do you make of the fact (acknowledged by all parties) that CG was responsible for developing Slash as an NFL QB? Elway has always had good things to say about him as well. The situation with Aikman was a matter of CG recognizing that the Dallas offense had to change due to personnel losses. Troy didn't agree. Of course, after Chan left they dropped like a rock in the NFL east standings, so I'd say it's at least an even bet whether CG or Troy was wrong.

Apologize if DB starts? nc, a lot of people will take the position that if he starts then why did he not get more PT THIS year!? And IMO they may have a point. I say may because we will never know without having seen him play. He was very impressive in the spring game and in his few appearances this Fall, so to conclude next year that he's only ready due to the extra time will be in question. It will quickly become a mute point though if we improve.

I think a lot of the "experts" you reference just don't want to suffer through yet another qb selection fubar on the part of all-knowing coaches...i.e. Auburn & Clemson...but at least they made the move and obviously to their team's benefit. THWG

NCJacket, if Bilbo is starting on opening day in 2003, I will say it should have been sooner. I've given Gailey credit for moving Hollings to running back among other things. However, his handling of the quarterbacks has been abysmal. The fact is the quarterback is the key position in college football. Look at LSU, with Matt Mauck they were a top 10 team that blew Florida out at home. Without him, they were mediocre. It's a tragedy that we are wasting a qb with great potential. To NCJacket, Bellyseries, GTYELLOWJACKET and the others who bash those on this board who have questioned the QB situation please answer this question I've asked before:

Which coach was right when O'Brien wanted to keep Bilbo in the Wake Forest game and Gailey overruled hm?

Adam, I think you are correct it's the coaching.

NCJacket I did not attribute the statment to you just trying to get to the bottom of that rumor.

AJ's too dang slow. No "feet." There's nothing there except drop back and set and his "eyes" are bad. His arm is average. He "runs" a fairly good game, I guess, but he's not a "weapon."

AJ IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AJ works real hard at practice. Get's real good ratings at practice on picking his receivers and throwing.

Bet you guys that are down on AJ would change your mind if you saw the practice films.

I'm just watching what counts- the games.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
AJ works real hard at practice. Get's real good ratings at practice on picking his receivers and throwing.

Bet you guys that are down on AJ would change your mind if you saw the practice films.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No doubt that AJ does fine in practice. He even does fine in some games, especially early in the game. But when game pressure is on the line, he has proven that he cannot get the job done with any consistency.
In fact, I would rate AJ as the most inconsistent QB I have ever seen.
The coaches can see this. Their failure to do anything about it, or have anybody else ready, is very telling.

Originally posted by beeware:
Originally posted by 71Bee:
[qb]In fact, I would rate AJ as the most inconsistent QB I have ever seen.
The coaches can see this. Their failure to do anything about it, or have anybody else ready, is very telling.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Totally agree with this. They have not effectively addressed an obvious problem.

olfoggy, from another OF, it's a FACT. The exchange was overheard clearly by several who sit directly behind the team, which with the field move really means directly.

nc, if he starts it will NOT mean only because he is ready then and not now. Just simply observe the vast physical skill difference. You don't need to be a all-knowing coach to see it. It takes a whole lot of mental difference to close the easily observable gap. THWG

To paraphrase bellyseries, I reached for satire and got sarcasm.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Back