Dookies watching our game with Md.

ahso, I know that, but what does he mean by "short". I think Duke would want 4-5 years. Is Ross willing to give it that much time?

Several comments here. First, I would love to see Roof get the job at Duke. The odds are probably against it at this time.

Secondly, If Roof does not get the job, I guess BeeWare will really be busy. He will be posting every hour on the hour the same message at Duke. Yes, you can guess the message he will be putting on their board every hour.

Of course, since his message never changes, all he has to do is cut and paste each message on BuzzOff, Stingtalk, and the Duke board. Gee, BeeWare, it just dawned on me, are you posting on the Notre Dame board?

Thirdly, if Ross wants to get back into coaching for a few years, I assume it would be in a situation where he will be somewhat like a consultant head coach.

This is a new term I just made for this type of situation. Just for the sake of discussion, let's say Duke decided to give Roof a try at head coach, but wants him under the tutalage of an experienced coach for a few years.

He might take the job for a two or three years to mentor Roof, with the understanding he would step aside in a few years and the reins would then go to Roof completely.

It would be precarious position, and I am not sure it would work. However, if he did desire to get back into the business for a few years (he is 66), my guess is few ADs would want to hire a 66 year old coach for a long term view.

Did Ross ever stay long at any one place as a head coach? He might like the short-term mentor type of coach position.

Father Time

Maybe Duke should give that fabulous OL coach in Texas with 29 years of "assistant" experience a shot. Hey, then they could steal that up and coming offensive "assistant genius" from Maryland. Since Duke already has a defensive genius in place, you would have the mother of all coaching staffs. I can see it now, Duke in the BCS in 2004.

Originally posted by UncleBee:
Maybe Duke should give that fabulous OL coach in Texas with 29 years of "assistant" experience a shot. Hey, then they could steal that up and coming offensive "assistant genius" from Maryland. Since Duke already has a defensive genius in place, you would have the mother of all coaching staffs. I can see it now, Duke in the BCS in 2004.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Exellent post UncleBee,right on.

Personally I think that Duke needs to find a coach that teaches some form unique football. Either go back to the Spurrier days of throwing the ball all the time (build the program around a good quarterback) or go to a wishbone/triple option type thing.

I think Duke's biggest problem the last few years is that they have no unique identity that can fool teams. They can not and will not be able to go toe to toe with other teams. Practice something different and get it down pat and then fool a few teams for victories.

Back