Dorsey Vs. Pollack

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Sometimes individual matchups are interesting, and sometimes they are downright critical to the outcome. This one is critical. Gailey should highlight it - it is an indicator on a larger scale of how effective his program is taking hold.

As we all recall, big D stepped in as a true freshman and established himself ahead of schedule, handling Julius Peppers on national t.v.

Since that time, he has been less than glittering. Perhaps this is due to things we cannot see - like his recent injury, change in line coach. Let's hope it is not lack of conditioning or plain old sophomoritis.

Bottom line is this - Dorsey has a chance to repeat his Peppers outing and we desperately need it. We have quite a punch when he and big Leon come off the ball with some intensity. I'm not sure Ga. or anybody can stop us running behind those two if they are healthy and motivated - at least for 3-4 yards. Dorsey, we need to recapture that level you played at last year. No sacks. Nothing. Spotlight will be on you. I know this is a team game but chances are Pollack, a darling of the media, will have the camera on him. Time to show them what a pancake looks like.

This is a smaller battle representative of the Gailey regime. Are our players getting better and reaching higher levels of play? No doubt our defense is. Jury is out on the offense, and Georgia presents an opportunity to find out.

I am impressed with Honeycutt's effort and ability since he came on the scene. But we really need Dorsey to play possessed if we are to win. Otherwise I'd let Honeycutt take on the battle.
Somebody needs to carry on the Tech offensive line tradition. Go Jackets!

You certainly have nailed a key matchup. Pollack is sneaky quick and creates havoc. If he is not stopped, he will give Suggs more grief than we can tolerate.

The thing with pollack is he lines up on the right side as much as on the left side. Kyle better have is game ready too. Pollack isn't the most athletic...he has a rhino heart in linemans body. He is intense and runs at 110% all the time. That is what makes him effective and frankly fun to watch.

Ideally this challege will sharpen Dorsey so that he doesn't make those mental mistakes that have plagued him all year. Our offense just can't have that against the Dawgs. Those couple pancake blocks a game are great but we need a total 60 minute domination from him if we're going to win.

I do think Pollack is very athletic. He has made some unbelevable plays and don't forget Sullivan. The line play(our offense their defense) will tell the tale. I think our line is very very good, but this is the best line they have faced imo. Suggs is going to have to be very smart in the pocket. Be ready to dump off to safety valve even if throwing in the ground NO PANICKING. Come Aj prove me wrong about you. Make me eat my words!!!

techrod. good call on Sullivan. Those two on DL have got game. I have confidense in our OL as I feel we'll be more healthy than we've been in while.

Go Jackets!

Appreciate the kudos you're givin' DP and JS. Those 2 really are terrors up front. I don't expect Sully back next season...he's likely a first rounder.

Does Dorsey line up on the strong side or weak side? Usually, Pollack plays strong side, so he has to fight off the tackle and the tight end, but he does switch up.

Pollack is actually very athletic. He is super quick and strong and has been able to bull rush every tackle he's played against. As you have pointed out he is very quick and always knows where the ball is which allows him to make interceptions, cause fumbles or recover fumbles. Without blowing his horn too much... he is the best DE I've ever seen at UGA. He will be highly motivated for this game because he is only 2 sacks away from tying a UGA single season record.

Sullivan will likely be a first round draft choice next year even though he has another year of eligibility at Georgia. If our line D-line plays as well against Tech as they did against Bama it will be a long day for the Jackets.

I agree it is a key matchup. Tech has a very good offensive line and our players respect the talent.

Originally posted by DawgByte:
Pollack is actually very athletic. He is super quick and strong and has been able to bull rush every tackle he's played against. As you have pointed out he is very quick and always knows where the ball is which allows him to make interceptions, cause fumbles or recover fumbles. Without blowing his horn too much... he is the best DE I've ever seen at UGA. He will be highly motivated for this game because he is only 2 sacks away from tying a UGA single season record.

Sullivan will likely be a first round draft choice next year even though he has another year of eligibility at Georgia. If our line D-line plays as well against Tech as they did against Bama it will be a long day for the Jackets.

I agree it is a key matchup. Tech has a very good offensive line and our players respect the talent.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pollack is a beast. I'm really worried about him. He makes big plays in every game. That play he had against USC was the damndest thing I've ever seen. Sullivan has really stepped up this year. He's in the backfield alot and disrupts alot of things. Both of those guys were all over the place in the 2nd half against Auburn. We'll have our hands full with your DL. I hope we're up to the task.

Originally posted by chambleedawg:
Appreciate the kudos you're givin' DP and JS. Those 2 really are terrors up front. I don't expect Sully back next season...he's likely a first rounder.

Does Dorsey line up on the strong side or weak side? Usually, Pollack plays strong side, so he has to fight off the tackle and the tight end, but he does switch up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How do you guys keep getting NFL caliber D-Lineman. Many of them aren't even that highly rated out of high school. They've been the key to your defensive success (which has been the key to your overall success) INMO. They've allowed you to cover up some potential weaknesses you have in the secondary.

Originally posted by bugboy:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by DawgByte:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pollack is a beast. I'm really worried about him. He makes big plays in every game. That play he had against USC was the damndest thing I've ever seen. Sullivan has really stepped up this year. He's in the backfield alot and disrupts alot of things. Both of those guys were all over the place in the 2nd half against Auburn. We'll have our hands full with your DL. I hope we're up to the task.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

I've watched Dorsey several times this year and he is the best offensive lineman Georgia will face. He is huge, has great feet and can crush people with his run blocking. He is another early entry into the NFL.

Damn I wish these kids would finish their senior seasons. Dawg fans drool at the thought of still having Charles Grant and Randy McMichael

You're better off without Grant. He had (and still has) great talent and tools, but he didn't play hard except when he wanted to. Grant, IMO, was the epitome of the JD era...gobs of NFL-type talent, but not a great team. Pollack, OTOH, is a much better DE simply based on attitude and effort. He's more of a Richt guy.

McMichael was a good one. He seems to be a better receiver than Watson.

DawgB,

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts on Dorsey. Feel his time off has allowed some injuries that he's been playing with to get well. When healthy he and L. Robinson at LG are a very good tandem. Leon has been playing some really good football. Dorsey is very good pass blocker, but the two of them side by side healthy really help the running game. When you've got a good pulling G on right side, Blake, it allows the team to do more a great deal running the the left side.

To me the GA DL against our OL is a key match up in the game. As usually the case in any big game.

Feel these are two strengths of each team. Be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Pollack is imo the best dl I have seen play at Tech or Georgia since Rock Perdoni of Tech in the early 70's

Back