Dr Clough was 1st one to approach Miami about ACC

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
In this article from the NY Times it states that Dr C was the 1st to go to Dr Shalala about Miami joining the ACC. He went back in Feb & got Shalala to thinking about the possibility.
Sure didn't know that Shalala is the one who hired Barry Alvarez to be the HC of Wisconsin's football team & totally turned around the Badgers football fortunes. Tremendous move. She also got former Badger star, Pat Richter, to be the AD. Alvarez & Richter are still at Wisconsin.
Dr Clough may have to call in the ACC 1st visit favor from Shalala by asking about what to do with our football program
wink.gif

GT's Clough 1st approched Shalala

That would truly show how pitiful clough is, by having to call in that clintonista for help.

I can't reconcile in my mind where Clough stands on football. On the one hand, he wants expansion and leads the way in landing Miami, but on the other hand he allows such internal policies and decisions to be made that make it impossible for us to compete with Miami, or a number of other schools on our schedule. If we play football, I want us to be the best.

Kennesawkid, I totally agree. Clough is an enigma as far as I am concerned. If he had a strong AD, his role as a President would be easy and perfect: Raise Money, R&D grants, build new stuff, deal with local community, etc. But man, is he out to lunch on our AA. He truly is- unless he goes ahead and makes a change. He seems to be the ONLY one down there who thinks no heads need to roll- and they should. All big alumns have voiced their opinions IN UNISON to Clough- its time to start the cleanup and resurrection of our AA department.

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
I can't reconcile in my mind where Clough stands on football. On the one hand, he wants expansion and leads the way in landing Miami, but on the other hand he allows such internal policies and decisions to be made that make it impossible for us to compete with Miami, or a number of other schools on our schedule. If we play football, I want us to be the best.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great post, I can't understand where anyone stands on anything anymore, which is really frustrating. Why would you:
A.) Build an expensive, new stadium.
B.) Fly all over the country trying to beef up our conference.
C.) Institute admission standards and support policies that ensure that we have no chance at success.

Does he think we can be competetive with the '950 rule'? Even wierder, I have heard Gailey (numerous times), Braine, and Clough publically deny that they have changed the admission standards at all. I also heard Braine (on 790) say that they have changed the admission standards to help with grad rates (during the same interview he said that Tech fans would be happy with 6 - 7 wins per year due to the 'disadvantages').

Someone please let me know if you figure out what is going on, because I sure can't.

Damn, I am glad that others have the same common sense that I have.

I made a post on the other board that asked the same damn questions. Here it is:

What is really going on?

Nothing adds up, and no one has produced a legitimate story to explain what is going on. Being an "academic snob" I have tended to give Clough the benefit of the doubt. My opinion of him is quickly changing given the evidence.

Bottom Line: He doesnt get it. We dont want or need an Adams as President. Even more the reason though we need a strong AD. Get a new AD and start anew in the AA, that way CLough really doent need to worry about sports and can delegate all to the AD on those matters. But really, with all the investment going on in our athletics programs you would think it was obvious that the 70% revenue producing sport would be paid attention like a fine tooth comb. He just doesnt get it as far as I am concerned. Even if a change happens, which it should, it has been obvious to most when they sent out the no tailgaiting letter a few years ago. We'll see.

If you're the President of a major college/university, you're then the CEO of your domain! How in the world does Clough get away with being 'out of his loop'? Talk about incompetence! When anything STARTS AT THE TOP, it's very easy to filter down!!
frown.gif

We're seeing evidence of that now!

Originally posted by BEESerk:
Damn, I am glad that others have the same common sense that I have.

I made a post on the other board that asked the same damn questions. Here it is:

Nothing adds up, and no one has produced a legitimate story to explain what is going on. Being an "academic snob" I have tended to give Clough the benefit of the doubt. My opinion of him is quickly changing given the evidence.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What is really going on?

Regarding the academic restructering:
My theory is that O'Leary's departure left a huge power void. God bless him, because he certainly had his faults. However, Not standing up for his players and what was best for GT football certaintly wasn't one of them. With O'Leary gone, the academic side has run wild. Do you think the idea of placing Carol Moore in charge of student athelete academics would of even be considered if O'Leary were still here? Do you think Ms. Moore would even want the job if O'Leary were still around?

I don't place O'Leary on a pedistal but someone has to be a GT football advocate and it needs to be either Braine or Gailey. Braine has proven himself to be both incompetant and decietful so it has to be Gailey.

I have no explanation for expanding the stadium, pushing hard for expansion, and then gutting the program...all within a years time. Whomever is making the decision are either idiots or incompetant..or both. I really can't think of another explanation.

I posted something similar on the other board also, and it was completely ignored. I must not know the secret handshake over there, because everything I post is ignored.

Back