Duke memories (and why I want to beat them...badly.....)

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
The absolute WORSE call I have ever seen in a game was at Duke....

Will never forget it, after all these years (only because it was SO bad)..

It might have been '89 because it involved S. Jones at QB...

The game was ultimately lost, but a KEY play occurred just before the half....As I recall it ended up being the last play or second to last play of the half...

Tech had the ball close to the 50. S Jones was scrambling and Tech ended up scoring (AS I recall, it was a long TD run by Jones)...What transpired was this - Just as Jones (or whoever it was) was crossing the goal line for a HUGE momentum changing TD to close the half, an official who had been standing in the backfield ~ the 50 yard line - threw a flag ! He was 50 yards away from the play and there wasn't a player anywhere near him...I assume most folks thought the flag had been thrown earlier, and didn't notice the OBVIOUS Bull**** call - but I sure did...He literally threw the flag just as the TD was being scored..I have no idea where he could have seen a hold, as it was called from the LOS - - it was BIZARRE...

Then as I complain, some Dukie who probably weighed about 120 lbs (max) starts giving me lip....after a few words, he left and didn't come back (hehe)...

This brings to mind two things.
1. We usually don't get many calls on tobacco road
2. Duke fans act like they don't care UNTIL they get close or go ahead ,and thenb - when that happens look out - they become transformed into the stuff you see at BB games.....sigh........

ANd I won't even mention the few years that Spurrier ran up the score on some BAD Tech teams - man those were some horrible memories !

Was that '89 game the one that Duke flashed "Welcome to the basement, Techies!" up on the Wallace Wade scoreboard?
mad.gif

Originally posted by JoltinJacket:
Was that '89 game the one that Duke flashed "Welcome to the basement, Techies!" up on the Wallace Wade scoreboard?
mad.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">JJ,

I am pretty sure that was 1987 since Tech did finish last in 1987...not in 1989.

Back