Duke Observations

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
There was one play, a third down on offense in (I think) the second half when we were driving toward the closed end of the stadium. Mason was in at RB, and I guess a Duke lineman or LB was jawing at him before the snap. Mason gave him a "come and get some" hand gesture, and then they had a pretty good blocking battle during the play. The play ended with a pass toward the Tech sideline that was either incomplete or short - we ended up having to punt - but I liked that little bit of swagger I saw from Mason on that play.

It was a good trip to Duke despite the rain, BTW. Temperature was pleasant, and the rain was really only a strong drizzle at worst until we were walking back to the car afterwards. It was one of the worst-attended games I've ever seen, with an announced attendance of around 11K - with most of the Duke fans clustered under the press box overhang on the home sideline, it really made the stadium look empty. Their student section was maybe 50 people, and I'm pretty sure the band we brought was bigger than theirs. But hey, cheap tickets, good food options, free parking/shuttle ride, pretty campus - what's not to like other than the sedate game environment?

It was odd that they were sort of enforcing a mask mandate - had to mask up to ride the parking shuttle, to enter the stadium, and to buy concessions. Technically you were supposed to be masked in the stands, but it seemed like most everybody was ignoring that and nobody was enforcing it.

I can't say that I came away from the game happy - it was fun when it looked like we were going to run away early, then it was a frustrating slog to inevitable defeat. Good on the team for making a great comeback at the end, but I found it hard to derive much joy from it. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and I'll look back at this game as when I started (re-)learning not to give up on this team, but right now I'm still mostly in the "expecting to lose" zone.

I don't know what was going on with the injuries - I think I counted 9 or 10 guys that went down on the field, plus at least one other guy that got off the field and had to be attended to by the trainers on the sideline with what looked like a hand injury. It seemed really lopsided - I think Duke only had 1 or 2 guys go down. (Most of ours came back into the game, but at least a couple didn't, from what I could tell.)

I don't know who should be more frustrated on Duke's team - Durant with his 198 touches on the day (isn't there literally anybody else on the team that can share the load?) or literally everybody else on the offense that was almost entirely window dressing for Durant.

JRjr

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Some injuries aren't really injuries. A teams employ having someone hit the ground when a non timeout/timeout is needed

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
I only got to "watch" this game via yahoo sports game tracker app. WTF was up with that TV blackout? Anyway, it sounds like everyone who actually got to watch the team seems to have big concerns coming away from that game while someone like me only score score updates feels good about the road ACC win. Ignorance is bliss baby!

Is this game available in VOD anywhere?

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I only got to "watch" this game via yahoo sports game tracker app. WTF was up with that TV blackout? Anyway, it sounds like everyone who actually got to watch the team seems to have big concerns coming away from that game while someone like me only score score updates feels good about the road ACC win. Ignorance is bliss baby!

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?

It wasn't blacked out, it was on Bally Sports South. There's a whole thread about it. ACC posts condensed games on Youtube, just google it.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
It wasn't blacked out, it was on Bally Sports South. There's a whole thread about it. ACC posts condensed games on Youtube, just google it.
It was blacked out on my ESPN+ streaming service with the big words "BLACKED OUT" in the thumbnail. It was the only fracking game in the entire inventory that was blacked out too.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Looks like the complete game is available on demand on ESPN3.

JRjr

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
It was blacked out on my ESPN+ streaming service with the big words "BLACKED OUT" in the thumbnail. It was the only fracking game in the entire inventory that was blacked out too.
Was it perhaps blacked out on the ESPN platform because it was a Regional Sports Network (i.e., Bally Sports) game?

JRjr

IM79

Flats Noob
If this happens in the future with Bally, just go to Youtube and search for "GA tech football". There is usually a youtuber doing a bootleg live stream of the game telecast. There was one Sat.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Was it perhaps blacked out on the ESPN platform because it was a Regional Sports Network (i.e., Bally Sports) game?

JRjr
That's my assumption. I was blacked out due to my local region IP address. It sounds like some people got around the blackout via VPN to get an out of region IP address but I dont have a VPN service so score tracker was my ööööty solution. Sounds like it saved me some stress, though.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Because you live in an area served by Bally. Is that really difficult for you to understand? These rules have been in place for decades, going back to when games were televised in local markets by Raycom/Jefferson Pilot.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
Hate to say it, but I give some credit to Duke for competing hard after falling behind 14-0 early at home. I wish Tech had responded that way after falling behind 14-0 early at home against Pitt.

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
Hate to say it, but I give some credit to Duke for competing hard after falling behind 14-0 early at home. I wish Tech had responded that way after falling behind 14-0 early at home against Pitt.
We're not Duke.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Oh, we did. The diff is that the refs did not take three touchdowns away from Duke.

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
It is funny how your sense of the game varies depending on how you experience it.
I was sitting on a beach catching some of the game on internet radio, getting texts from friends.
Was frustrating when we couldn’t hold our 14-0 opening lead, but thought we would win until things got really dicey in Q4.
Watched the condensed game on YouTube, just looked like we fell apart a bit, Duke kept competing, then we pulled it out. Less frustrating getting the 27 minute version of all that knowing the final outcome is positive.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Because you live in an area served by Bally. Is that really difficult for you to understand? These rules have been in place for decades, going back to when games were televised in local markets by Raycom/Jefferson Pilot.
I love the internet where everyone has to be a prick rather than just give an answer. Anyway, yeah the part I didnt get is who the frick is Bally TV and who carries it? It doesnt show up in my local cable carrier that I could see.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I love the internet where everyone has to be a prick rather than just give an answer. Anyway, yeah the part I didnt get is who the frick is Bally TV and who carries it? It doesnt show up in my local cable carrier that I could see.
Frick is an SECRant word. Please refrain from being SEC on the board