Early ACC Thoughts

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
Sorry but I have been reading the same few threads for a few days now. So I wonder which team you think will win the ACC next year? My pick will be Virginia suprising everyone. If they get through NC State and FSU, I believe they can be in contention for a top 5 ranking.

UVA - interesting team - they lost their Offensive Coordinator last year to the NFL - I don't think that will be insignificant. Certainly have a great deal of young talent, and Schuab is a good senior leader.

But I am not 100% sold on Groh as a game day leader. They never adjusted at all to what Gailey did to them last year, which was take advantage of that 3-4 system with a spread offense. He was outcoached by Gailey and staff last year (after outcoaching GOL and staff the prior year)

I hate to say it, but I gotta go with Maryland. They have the best staff in the country, IMO, and enough returning to challenge F$U. And their OOC schedule is just awful, alowing them to heal up if necessary for the in conference games.

I think it will be interesting to see what NC State does. While they certainly proved last year not to be as good as advertised, this should be their best year - last one with Rivers. The Ohio State game will tell quite a bit about NC State this year, although I do think Amato will have them ready to play (one thing the coaches could do at F$U was to get the kids motivated for a big away game).

Maryland should be at or near the top. NCSU will also be fighting for the top spot. If the loss of Virginia's OC does not hamper them, they should be in the hunt.

FSU may be fading, this may be their make or brake year to retain their high standings.

If we don't lose any more players to grades, we could be a surprise.

Clemson and Tommy Bowden will be fighting for survival. If they do not improve drastically, Tommy may be moving on.

Wake Forest has a lot of players to replace. They might not make it back to last year's status.

Duke could possibly improve a little more. It would not be beyond reasoning to see them push for the middle of the pack with a little luck.

Even though North Carolina has recruited well, they do not seem to be a team. Defense seems to be a big weakness.

wink.gif

I believe the ACC will be a powerhouse this year. We have several strong teams. When does State play Ohio State? I didnt even know that was happening. It should be an exciting year.

NC State plays at the Horseshoe in Columbus on Sept 13.

One thing to keep in mind re: NC State as a "powerhouse" - not only did they lose to unraked GT at home, UVa and Maryland, they beat Duke by 2 points, with Duke in essence just running out of time (wound up trying a 65 yd field goal for the win). Yes, they did beat F$U (oh, btw, the F$U QB had the worst day of his life and former players called the HC to say they had haeard the player was throwing the game to play gambling debts)

NC State does have a great backfield, with TA McClendon alongside Rivers, but I don't think they have the quality in the receiving corp to compliment that.

Back