Early Warning......

Gold Rush

Flats Noob
I'm really not bashing CG...In fact, I think the verdict is out, although its getting harder and harder to ignore the various "coincidences" of his association with many many issues of late.

Regardless, the point is this...Early on, I heard the comments from the players that things were more "relaxed" and that they were now having "fun" at practice etc (not that theres anything wrong with this - to a degree) - But I also heard this before.

1. When Torbust took over at UNC- heard the identical comments from the players...Similarly, they too lacked discipline and showed it on the field with lots of things that paralleled stomping on the "G" prior to the uGA game

2. Joe Bugel at the Raiders when he took over (for those unfamiliar, it turned out to be a disaster) - the players actually lobbied for him to be coach, as it would be more "fun and relaxed"...

3.Mike White (sorry, but I'm a long suffering Raiders fan) at Raiders - same exact approach - another disaster...Then Gruden showed up, in his demanding style and they were turned around almost instantly...

There are other examples - many more...

Not saying anything specific, I just recall cringing when I heard those comments

Originally posted by Gold Rush:

There are other examples - many more...

Not saying anything specific, I just recall cringing when I heard those comments
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Another excellent example... GT players made the same comments during their preparation for the Seattle Bowl.. exact same comments.

I think hearing that kind of talk prior to a single game, particularly a bowl game, isn't the same reflection as those comments regarding the status of an overall program, including spring practice, summer practice and an 11 game schedule..

Lax attitudes and lack of discipline may work in a 1-2 week period AFTER having had a season which DID contain discipline etc...

Poor comparison IMO...

I also cringed as the bells, whistles and sirens sounded. It's fairly incompetent to believe that you can succeed in an extremely competitive environment by relaxing standards. Sure it can be fun but only after you reached peak performance. There's not a much sweeter sound than the hum of a finely tuned machine.

Back