East Carolina boosters trying to make 'big' push for ACC consideration.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
East Carolina boosters trying to make \'big\' push for ACC consideration.

They are trying desperately hard to get the North Carolina politicians involved in pushing for the Pirates to get an ACC invite. They want the NCar Governor to get involved like the Virginia Governor did.
My guess is that it is no more than stirring the pot hoping it'll boil from friction. If ECar does blow enough smoke up the skirts of the 4 NCar schools it could create some more divisiveness.
ECar has mostly been mediocre in football & basketball by ConUSA standards, but has made the NCAA regionals for the last 3 yrs in baseball. Baseball is a coming sport there. Here's an article from the Raleigh News-Observer:

East Carolina pushing for ACC membership

Re: East Carolina boosters trying to make \'big\' push for ACC consideration.

No thanks. Tech already had a bad experience getting something from ECU once.

It will never happen. Carolina and State have generally regarded ECU as a "big-time wannabe." The fact that those 2 teams even play the Pirates sporadically in football is due to the intense lobbying of powerful Downeast legislators, some of whom have retired or died. They don't gain all that much by beating ECU but really take a beating publically if they lose. Besides, as GT Ace says, they couldn't bring anything to the ACC except baseball. There's a lot of hope with Thompson coming from Florida to take over the football program, but the bottom line is that ECU can't compete in recruiting with Carolina or State.

It tickles me when ECU shows up the big boys from that state. But I don't like this method of getting into a conference. Doesn't impress me one bit.

Hey, let's get the Ga legislature to demand the ACC take Ga Southern. They're already better than ECU, even half a division down.

I'm all for ECU. Bring em in.
BOO

Finally a post by Belly I can agree with.

Better yet, let's actually say we're all for ECU, and possibly Appalachian getting in - then, at the last second, Tech, Clemson and FSU could say...naaah, just kidding....on the conference call of course.

Why don't we hold open a spot for both GSUs? Georgia State, while it only has a club - level team, is probably on par for ECU
wink.gif
. GA legislators wouldn't want one of the largest schools in the state to be left out in the cold would they?

GA Southern would be cool. I kinda wish that they were a D-1 school.

If the state legislature would pass a resolution allowing the inclusion of the two GSUs, then we could have our own Tobacco Road Coalition and then we could feast on our whine and cheese!

North Carolina has ENOUGH schools in this conference - I'm not for enhancing the Mafia's power!!
mad.gif

Back