even if we WIN what would it mean?

law_bee

Dodd-Like
When you look at Ugag they have exceeded their goals with an "average" team. They have beaten their foes with special teams and surprise talents (Pollock). They have capitalized on a weak conference to catapult themselves into the national spotlight.

We on the otherhand have fallen behind Maryland and our losing ground on NCST and UVA.

If we do not rebound next year we will be the 4th best team in our conference (which is the ACC not the SEC, BIG 12, or even the Big '11').

I envy those fans that can take the game one at a time and be THRILLED with a win even if we are not heading in the right direction.

It is not that I think we are heading in the wrong direction. I just do not know what direction we are heading into. Recruiting does not appear to be strong. Everyone says wait and see, but that is tough. We use to live off offense and have one of the best in the country. Now we have one of the worst. Look and see when is the last time Duke and NC has less than 22 scored on them.

I just hope we can keep Tenuta. His coaching and the D have been the bright spots of a season that has been riddled with injuries and BOO'S.

I agree 95% ,no 99% na 100%

Watch the FSU game it reminded me of my thoughts durring the the FSU game of 1999.

We were improving every year. it was the begining of another year and we had just hung in there toe to toe @FSU (at the time the were top 3 and had about a 50 game home winning streak going). EVEn with the loss I was proud that little GT from the ACC was taking step after step in the right direction.

But now the only thing I can say is that at least we still should have beaten FSU even though we are about 1/2 as good as that team of over 3 years ago.

Also after watching Watkins on TV33 last night I feel bad that we have no offence this year (exception being the running game). He should have easily passed Middleton in yardage, and Campbell in TD's for GT records. ohhh and Manget should have easily had the record by now.

ohhh well!!

Beat UGA and all is forgiven

To me it will verify that CG knows what he is doing,at least on the field.He knows he does not have a high octane Offense so he plays close to vest with a good defense and dares the other team to beat his Defense.
Tries to stay close at end and pull out a win.Not exciting but if you've ever played tennis against a guy who only tries to get back your shot and doesn't miss,you know that it causes frustration AND WORKS!

This season is way off my expectations, but it is always sweet to beat UGA and win a bowl game.

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Actually Ahso... back in May you sort of predicted a 7-5 record this year... and stated that you would consider it a success... I think your predictions were pretty darn good...

Setting The Bar For Gaileys First Team
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I too predicted a five loss season for GT at the beginning of the year. But I also predicted a 2 loss season for UGA. Hope the former is more accurate.

For me... everything !! I would gladly take getting beat by Wake Forst every year if it meant we beat Georgia... This is THE game...

You're right lawbee. During the Friedgen years our offense bailed out our defense.

This year we finally have a defense with Tenuta. The question, at least in my mind, is whether we can retain him. Per UNC people, he really wants to be in the pros. They were also not complimentary about his recruiting efforts.

In any event, we need him; it would have been really dismal this year without him .

Reading tea leaves.

I guess that's what we do here. Trying to find signs that Tech is headed in the right direction, that we have the coaches to put together both a strong offense and defense in the same season.

player performance, coaching performance, recruiting, just studying tea leaves ....

JacketGuy, I don't remember predicting 7-5. I remember dissing one of BeeWare's post and telling him we had less talent this year than last year when we went 7-5. I also remember stating in the same post the experts were predicting something like that.

When I made that post, it was to offset one of BeeWare's post, but I placed the BS Meter at the end of the post.

My actual prediction was a 11-1 season. I had predicted we would lose only to Maryland at their house.

I had reasoned our defense would be tremendously improved, we were blessed with three excellent QB recruits from the previous season, Gailey with all his knowledge would assist O'Brien with the offense, we had nine returning defensive starters, we had the best group of WRs in the conference, we had Ford, Dixon, Hatch returning, and we had some new good runners we had recruited.

I am not sure if I knew Hollings would be in the mix when I made my predictions. As much as I would love to say I hit my predictions, I was really way off. That is one reason I have not been happy with some of the decisions or non-decisions this year. I thought we had the material and coaches to challenge for national honors this year.

I would like to take credit, but I missed it.

pat.gif

all the other games are just warm ups for this one. This is the reason for Georgia Tech having a football team. Beat the Dawgs and I will double my AT contribution and be beaming for 365 days....

Law_Bee, I agree with your sentiments but will take it a different direction. You are correct, much of the conference is passing us by. If Grobe stays at Wake, they will be an upper tier team. Uva is recruiting like gangbusters and yet he has largely won with holdovers from Welch. NC State will continue to get better, FSU justs reloads. The only team we are comparable to is Clemson, sort of muddling about, and Duke who can't seem to get it together. UNC is horrible but a new coach will get them stirred up in no time.

This could be the worst of all possible scenario's - we go to Athens, get our ass beat, and Gailey and apologists walk around muttering "well, it's just one game, we still have the Tire Bowl and some goals to accomplish."
Pardon me, but this is THE GAME. Much bigger challenge and much more important than playing somebody like West Virginia or Nebraska with 4 or 5 losses in a third tier bowl. Trying to claim your good at 7-5 cause you get a sixth place feed into some no-good bowl starts another Pepper Rodgers, Bill Lewis, Bill Curry era all over again. A winning season here, two bad ones, etc.

Your post is right on target, but I would say that IF we beat Georgia, I will be the first to say that Gailey has earned the right to not be doubted. A Georgia win on the road, coupled with NC State on the road and a solid win vs. UVa means something. An ass whipping by Georgia, coupled with a home loss to Wake and a thumping by Maryland, also means something. We will know which it will be on Nov. 30th.

Back