Excellent: Early Spring football notes by 33Jacket

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
This comes from a very inside source:

Kids practicing on the field at 6:00 am in the morning right now. 30 min. practice....in an effort to "toughin the team." It is a player only type event. Team busting arse to prepare physically for this spring.

All pre-spring ball concetrations have been with Bilbo and Pena. Camp and AJ are acting as helpers with the O.

Spring Ball in March will show that the two young guys are getting all the snaps and looks. They are trying very hard to see what Pena and Bilbo can do....and to see "who gets it" first.

The players did like BOB....but I have heard they really like Nix and Geis. Nix is working very hard with Bilbo....

Nix has earned instant credibility with the players...b/c he played ball at Auburn and most of these kids remember that. They really like him.

On D Sterling Greene could have a breakout...he is quick and has good coverage skills (getting looked at WLB).

Look for Landry to be "tough" at safety. He has a very good physique and might be a nice replacement at FS. Just needs more snaps.

Travis Parker is getting stronger...doesn't quit have the weight yet b/c he has a naturally tall frame; but can push you around and shed blocks...last year really helped the interior DTs as a whole

Hargrove saw alot of double teams last year. That is why Key Fox was moved to End on passing downs about the 4th game. This should change this year with Gathers back.

Any thoughts Bilbo was slacking the last two years should be dispelled. This kid wants to lead this team. He is really pushing himself. The issue is with pre-snap reads. NOT learning the plays. You can know the plays...but if you don't know where to throw it (remember you only have 3 sec to do this) your toast. Also GT used to employ a lot of WR option routes...they are toning this down so the young guys can learn.

I HOPE that all of this activity and the days in the weight room, are using a different approach from last year (here, speaking specifically about strength and conditioning approach).

I've heard nothing in this area specifically - does anyone know if we are using the same approcah towards S&C that was used last year ?

Good question Gold Rush. Can anybody shed some light on the S&C?

Mustard

I'[ve asked this before, and it seems that no one knows...

I sure hope we've changed our approach to S & C.
I'm convinced that the lack of appropriate S&C contributed to some of the injuries last year.

W/respect to S&C, everyone was gung-ho over our training program when ESPN did the special on conditioning and included us in it, especially w/ Rhino's effort and intensity, what happened once the season started? Was Rhino the only one putting out the extra effort? How did Nat get so fat and stay that way?

drinking.gif

Actually, the entire OL loked out of shape to me.
I noticed that in the first quarter of several games (the ones I attended), they seemed to really be dragging a lot. I'm not questioning their effort, it just looked like they tired very early in games.

Also, one thing I noticed, when I went back and looked at the UGA game....It almost looked like the Tech players were playing in mud or quicksand or something...Slow....It was weird, but ironically, I noticed the same thing in last years UGA game...Like Tech was a couple of steps slower...I didn't notice this in any other games..FWIW

That game is so painful to me that I can't force myself to watch it a second time. Maybe in ten years if i'm still around I will be able to take another peek but unless I do a lot of changing I will never see that again. That was an example of HOW NOT to play the game. THE WORST SPORTS DAY OF MY LIFE.

Back