"execution"

dressedcheeseside

Dodd-Like
Let's face it, the reason we are where we are is because of much better execution. However, execution does not happen in a vacuum. You don't just decide to execute better and presto, done.

Execution is a function of many things and many of them you can control directly and independent of your competition (off season work, for example). But quality and level of competition has a HUGE impact on your execution nonetheless. Guys that are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and just plain better football players are much harder to block and tackle. They're much harder to dupe as well.

CPJ has been a chessmaster so far preying on our opponents' tendencies and weaknesses. Let's hope he is true to form vs better competition. We'll need every bit of advantage we can get because execution becomes twice as hard from now on (or more).

Speaking of execution, this exchange was heard after a dismal showing by USCw...

Reporter to John McKay:
Coach, how do you feel about your team's execution?

Coach McKay:
I think it's a good idea.

Let's face it, the reason we are where we are is because of much better execution. However, execution does not happen in a vacuum. You don't just decide to execute better and presto, done.

Execution is a function of many things and many of them you can control directly and independent of your competition (off season work, for example). But quality and level of competition has a HUGE impact on your execution nonetheless. Guys that are bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic and just plain better football players are much harder to block and tackle. They're much harder to dupe as well.

CPJ has been a chessmaster so far preying on our opponents' tendencies and weaknesses. Let's hope he is true to form vs better competition. We'll need every bit of advantage we can get because execution becomes twice as hard from now on (or more).

CPJ has said "Physical Superiority negates all theories", But I have a feeling CPJ has something special in mind for these "Super DE's" of UNC. Plus, We've had something like 10 OL get a good amount of PT. IIRC, Shaq was in there plowing the road the entire 3rd quarter.

CPJ has said "Physical Superiority negates all theories", But I have a feeling CPJ has something special in mind for these "Super DE's" of UNC.
I'm still having nightmares from our game with Iowa. I'll believe we can scheme around bookend Minotaurs when I see us do it.

I'm still having nightmares from our game with Iowa. I'll believe we can scheme around bookend Minotaurs when I see us do it.

Has UNC become Iowa?

Anyway, just so you know since CPJ has been here, we have not gained LESS than 400 yards in total O in those three games. Last year we got 448 with these same D players plus Carter and Sturdivant.

Iowa wasn't just the bookends. Their entire DL overwhelmed us.

Has UNC become Iowa?

Anyway, just so you know since CPJ has been here, we have not gained LESS than 400 yards in total O in those three games. Last year we got 448 with these same D players plus Carter and Sturdivant.

Exactly. On one of their boards somebody made the comment that not only are they the best defense we will have faced, but they have an NFL defense. And another one of their fans brought up the rushing numbers from '08 when they had Austin, Quinn, Carter, Sturdivant, Searcy, and a few other NFL draft picks that escape me at the moment.

Being big and talented certainly helps, but it takes more than that to stop this offense. See UNC and UGA all 3 years.

UNC will be much tougher. If we can have no turnovers and complete a few big passes when they sell out for the run I think we put up about 45 on them.

But can we stop their passing offense? I'm only about 80% convinced we can keep them from putting up 45 on us.

The biggest thing that worries me is their interior DL penetrating the LOS, disrupting the timing and spacing of our mesh and then our pitch relationships. This could very well gum up the entire offense as it has in the past. We must be able to stalemate the LOS at the very least.

The next thing is not being able to get to the LB's with our OL. Free ranging LB's is not a good thing to have to deal with. You can't counter them out of position every down.

I can see us getting a slow start on O until CPJ sees what they are doing and can make adjustments. The one play first possession scoring drive comes to an end I'm afraid.

The only notable "better execution" I have been able to discern is drastically more accurate passing.

Also we have played teams with Marginal DL.

The biggest thing that worries me is their interior DL penetrating the LOS, disrupting the timing and spacing of our mesh and then our pitch relationships. This could very well gum up the entire offense as it has in the past. We must be able to stalemate the LOS at the very least.

The next thing is not being able to get to the LB's with our OL. Free ranging LB's is not a good thing to have to deal with. You can't counter them out of position every down.

I can see us getting a slow start on O until CPJ sees what they are doing and can make adjustments. The one play first possession scoring drive comes to an end I'm afraid.

I think this may be partially why CPJ is calling so many more double or "load" option plays, and so few triples. Someone said we ran 1 actual TO play in the first 9 series with Tevin. I believe that from my own recollection.

The double option hits quicker and allows us to exploit any speed advantage we have to the edge. It's also less error prone / fumble prone.

I think this may be partially why CPJ is calling so many more double or "load" option plays, and so few triples. Someone said we ran 1 actual TO play in the first 9 series with Tevin. I believe that from my own recollection.

The double option hits quicker and allows us to exploit any speed advantage we have to the edge. It's also less error prone / fumble prone.

This.

I'm not rock-out-with-my-cock-out confident on the outcome of the game, but I don't believe for a second that we are going to get outclassed on the field. We will win this game. We may not hang 60 on the heels, but we will walk away with a W.

What is very incouraging and unique to the TO is the deeper you get in the season (reps) the better the team will be in executing.

Back