Expansion Update

Father WASP

Flats Noob
I checked several newspapers this morning and some cracks are showing on several fronts for the expansionists. Not insurmountable things, and possibly posturing for negotiation, but if you check the Miami Herald and some VA and NC rags, you begin to get a picture:

Shalala is probably for it cause of the money but wants to drag the 2 northeast schools with them. For some reason she thinks UM draws students from the northeast due to their presence in the Big East. She's not any smarter now than she was for Clinton. Newsflash for her - people who grow up Catholic and aspire to play for Notre Dame don't withdraw their applications because they are an independent or are in Indiana instead of New York City. But I still think she will succumb to the numbers.

Coaching community. No surprise here. Yesterday Coach K was whining about the basketball ramifications. Coach Morris, our ex-Techster made the most common sense and mature statement when he said that the proposed division would be the toughest in college baseball but "that would make us better". Coker appeared to be dancing around in fear of playing FSU within division, but in his defense it doesnt make much sense for those two to knock heads just so the Carolina schools can stay together.

Behind the scenes, those of us hoping for VA Tech to join should get over it. UVA is nixing it. The prestige factor and the fear factor of an in state rival being on equal footing in a conference division with them is too much to take.

The decision may take as long as 30-60 days. I would put it all together to say this is 50/50 at best. The money, which always is most important, may not be enough to overcome the three barriers (1) fan base of the Carolina cluster who aren't fired up about making a football oriented decision. They are content to leave well enough alone without adding a football powerhouse to add further humiliation. (2) Coaches. Hate to admit it. But Coach K carries the weight of influence Bear Bryant had within the SEC. Add new Roy Williams to the mix and you begin to get the picture. And its not just basketball. NC State is noticeably out front with their opposition. No doubt Amato is in the office saying "what, you want me to replace East Tennessee State with Miami on the schedule?" State recruits Florida heavily in football, and no doubt an in-conference, national power who goes head to head with them for recruits is on Amato's mind. While they have the most success vs. FSU of anyone, he's doing the math - an upset of FSU can get you the championship now, trying to run through Miami and FSU in the same year is mountain he doesn't want to climb. (3) Geography. The Carolina schools are banding together to play hard-ball in the negotiation to stay together as a deal breaker. Here there is no negotiation. They've got it. This could be huge. You either forget geography totally, but even there every proposal so far has some real question marks with regard to equity.

Should be interesting. Wish we could get VA Tech but I haven't seen any hard evidence that it is even a possibility.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
I checked several newspapers this morning and some cracks are showing on several fronts for the expansionists. Not insurmountable things, and possibly posturing for negotiation, but if you check the Miami Herald and some VA and NC rags, you begin to get a picture:

Shalala is probably for it cause of the money but wants to drag the 2 northeast schools with them. For some reason she thinks UM draws students from the northeast due to their presence in the Big East. She's not any smarter now than she was for Clinton. Newsflash for her - people who grow up Catholic and aspire to play for Notre Dame don't withdraw their applications because they are an independent or are in Indiana instead of New York City. But I still think she will succumb to the numbers.

Coaching community. No surprise here. Yesterday Coach K was whining about the basketball ramifications. Coach Morris, our ex-Techster made the most common sense and mature statement when he said that the proposed division would be the toughest in college baseball but "that would make us better". Coker appeared to be dancing around in fear of playing FSU within division, but in his defense it doesnt make much sense for those two to knock heads just so the Carolina schools can stay together.

Behind the scenes, those of us hoping for VA Tech to join should get over it. UVA is nixing it. The prestige factor and the fear factor of an in state rival being on equal footing in a conference division with them is too much to take.

The decision may take as long as 30-60 days. I would put it all together to say this is 50/50 at best. The money, which always is most important, may not be enough to overcome the three barriers (1) fan base of the Carolina cluster who aren't fired up about making a football oriented decision. They are content to leave well enough alone without adding a football powerhouse to add further humiliation. (2) Coaches. Hate to admit it. But Coach K carries the weight of influence Bear Bryant had within the SEC. Add new Roy Williams to the mix and you begin to get the picture. And its not just basketball. NC State is noticeably out front with their opposition. No doubt Amato is in the office saying "what, you want me to replace East Tennessee State with Miami on the schedule?" State recruits Florida heavily in football, and no doubt an in-conference, national power who goes head to head with them for recruits is on Amato's mind. While they have the most success vs. FSU of anyone, he's doing the math - an upset of FSU can get you the championship now, trying to run through Miami and FSU in the same year is mountain he doesn't want to climb. (3) Geography. The Carolina schools are banding together to play hard-ball in the negotiation to stay together as a deal breaker. Here there is no negotiation. They've got it. This could be huge. You either forget geography totally, but even there every proposal so far has some real question marks with regard to equity.

Should be interesting. Wish we could get VA Tech but I haven't seen any hard evidence that it is even a possibility.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think there's a misconception here on where NC State stands. Because of everything I had read bout this, I called one our best friends who went to State and lives in Winston-Salem last night. I asked him if he thought State would block this .. he couldn't believe what I was asking.

He said Amato was on local TV last night and was very excited about this happening and if his vote counted he'd vote YES! He also said, State's current President is a woman who use to be the President of the University of Texas and from what he's heard she'd vote yes in a heartbeat because she knows the importance of football and it's revenues!!

So, it looks like all the media info we're getting is not quite correct ... why doesn't that surprise me. Also, my friend is a big contributor to State's athletic fund and says that everyone he's talked to (contributors) are all for it!!

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think there's a misconception here on where NC State stands. Because of everything I had read bout this, I called one our best friends who went to State and lives in Winston-Salem last night. I asked him if he thought State would block this .. he couldn't believe what I was asking.

He said Amato was on local TV last night and was very excited about this happening and if his vote counted he'd vote YES! He also said, State's current President is a woman who use to be the President of the University of Texas and from what he's heard she'd vote yes in a heartbeat because she knows the importance of football and it's revenues!!

So, it looks like all the media info we're getting is not quite correct ... why doesn't that surprise me. Also, my friend is a big contributor to State's athletic fund and says that everyone he's talked to (contributors) are all for it!!

If the tobacco road schools cause this to fall through, then my vote would be to get out of the ACC. This is IMHO too good of an opportunity for the conference to be held hostage to by the likes of Duke and Coach K.
mad.gif

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Every other report I've seen has stated that UVA is supporting VPI's admission; it is the four Carolina schools + Maryland who object to VPI.

Back