Expect the line to WIDEN this AM

Goldtimer

Varsity Lurker
If you're wagering on the game (not a good idea to wager on one's own team, in my experience - hard to be completely rational), you should have placed your wager earlier. My guess is the spread will WIDEN between now and the game. We'll see.

If it doesn't widen, the "smart money" lacks confidence in GT's ability, or has inside info that a decision has been made keep the score decent (possibly in support of Coach E)

Here's a free non-live odds page, still showing a 23-pt. spread at midnight:

http://ww1.vegasinsider.com/u/odds/15minute/NCAAF_lines.html

(The live odds page requires a pricey subscription.)

THIS INFO FYI ONLY
Don't wager with money you wouldn't mind buring with a match

I never bought the story that Coach E didn't want to play this game, and an article in a Hartford paper this AM (see the Daily Buzz) implies he was talking to O'Leary about setting up a game well before MTSU pulled out of its schedule with GT. Don't think we know all the inside details on this.

The article also says the UConn deputy AD was surprised Da Braine suggested playing the first game in Storrs. Clearly, that was not a UC prerequisite for the deal.

It's academic now, and will soon be a mute point, but I'd have rather played them there in '04 or '05 in their new stadium with better access and accomodations. We're only going to get regional recruiting advantages one year anyway, and we could have got them that year, while avoiding playing in the smallest venue GT has played in in the post-Dodd era (I'm pretty sure).

BUT the die is cast, so let's get the best value out of this game (which is to use it as a scrimmage to continue evaluating players down the depth chart once the first string polishes it's act in the 1st quarter). Sorry, those of you who think using the s word shows disrespect for the opponent (and even resort to chastising this poster on an opponent's board), but i call a spade a spade. No disrespect toward UConn intended - just a realistic appraisal of the mismatch this is. When GTAA starts paying me what its SID makes, I'll be more diplomatic ;-)

LAST CHANCE!

Still time to stand up and be counted for your score pick. (Board picks are like yells in a crowd, and don't count in this contest.) E-mail score@techie.com, including your identifier, GT score, and UC score IN THE TITLE (don't have time to open messages on a slow on-line system to dig out your prediction, and the auto reply will advise you to resend correctly, so don't cry later if you don't). Thanks to all who have already predicted. The "vote turnout" has been strong. The scoring algorithm and calculation has been double checked and found to be solid.

Guess they did not count on CG playing 2nd and 3rd string the 2nd half. If we had continued the 2nd half as we did the lst, it would have been embarrassing for Randy. (I sorta wanted us to shut them out!)
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well, I got the 28pt lead right, but but was waaay off with my 61-10 prediction (gonna drop way down in the Score Prediction Contest standings). Thougt about predicting 38-10, and that wouldn't have been all that close. Results like this are one reason I quite wagering years ago.

It's clear we could have hung just about any score we wanted on the board. I'm proud of CG for subbing, and glad we didn't come across as bullies.

Now the coaches have lots of game film by which to help the subs improve.

Back