Expectations on the season.

BarrelORum

Mediocre Poster
Should we expect to win this year??
I mean even if Gailey was the best coach in football, can we expect to win with the talent we have lost at key positions?

1.) A lot is riding on if we can find a guy who can play QB. IF Ball is that person, great! IF Suggs is that person, great!! This will alleviate a lot of our problems.

2.) We've got a former walk-on and 5th string RB STARTING this season. I'm not trying to take anything away from PJ Daniels. He might turn out to be the best back in school history, but let's be honest. Can we expect a Lot from our Running backs? Yes they are running behind a great line, but can they get the job done if we have problems at the QB position?

3.) I'm scared for our defensive line. Let's face it... we've got little experience and hardly any beef up front. The beef we do have are true freshman and the reserves have either no experience or haven't done anything for us in the past. We might have the best Linebackers and defensive backs in the league, but it will not take an Auburn or an FSU to pound the living hell out of our defensive lineman. It will probably take a lot less.

In order for us to maintain any kind of success this year we are going to have to have solid QB play and we're going to have to be able to stop the run without sacrificing the deep threat. Two things we all know we might not be able to do at all.

So will this be Gailey's fault? I don't know. I don't expect too much this year. I think the higher powers at GT have handicapped our coach this season with the grade debacle. I am going to try not to focus on the results of each game and try to focus on how our team responds and improves throughout the season. I think Gailey has a serious mountain to climb that I don't think he made entirely.

I honestly think though that this season will be a major indicator as to how good or bad of a Coach, Gailey is. Even if we go 3-10, I don't necessarily think Gailey is a bad coach depending on how our team plays week in and week out. No mstter how good of a jockey you are, you cannot make Mr. Ed win the Kentucky Derby.

Last year my big problem with our team was they weren't consistent AT ALL. There is more turmoil that has surrounded GT football in the offseason, more so than any other year. I cannot wait for August 28th because I want to see how our team responds to it all.

If you back a nice dog in a corner long enough and throw stones at it, sooner or later it's gonna attack the hell out of you. That's the way I look at our team. I hope they're mad and angry as hell and want to take it out on whoever is not wearing White and Gold. If that happens, I think we might be alright.

I think we are capable of having at least a 7-5 record if we have no devastating injuries to any more key personnel.

I think we will be at least 2-2 after the first four games, and with a break or two, be 3-1 or 4-0. I say we beat BYU and Clemson. I think we have a legitimate shot at Auburn here, even without 15 men on the field.

If we go into the FSU game at 3-0, we will have a legitimate shot at that game.

Father Time

"If you back a nice dog in a corner long enough and throw stones at it, sooner or later it's gonna attack the hell out of you. That's the way I look at our team. I hope they're mad and angry as hell and want to take it out on whoever is not wearing White and Gold. If that happens, I think we might be alright"

C'mon Jackets let's not take any more crap. SIC 'EM JACKETS!!!!!

lca7.jpg

BOR, Good thoughts.
But you left out the potential FG and Punting problems.CG has only so many fingers and there are a lot of potential holes in the dike.But I do think some unsuspecting team is going to wander into a nest of nasty bees, like NCst last yr ,when things go right for no real reason for a change.

We can't turn it over. We can't get behind. We have to play very conservative and no matter what we can't let the other team play ball control.

With our problems at DLine, if we get behind the other team will just pound us into the turf by running it down our throats. Youth and lack of depth is no recipe for success at the point of attack.

The problems are compounded by the kicking game issues. But that's another post for another day.

The good news is that I don't think Clemson or UNC have the running games to try that even if they get ahead. Both are big swing games for our season so that's an Ace in the Hole for us. They'll keep dinking and dumping on us til the bitter end. That will keep us in the game b/c our DBs are going to be AWESOME. I really believe that.

Auburn will be ugly though. I'm bracing myself for AU to score 40-50 at least.

BOR - conceptually I agree with you. Gailey's charge this year is consistent improvement and consistent effort. Wins and losses are not the primary thing to watch (though certainly important).

I would switch your logic about the QB and running backs a bit though. I think for us to be successful, we have to have a very solid running game - and that has to be what moves the ball for us and doesn't make the QB responsible for winning the games for us. The QBs just cannot lose games for us by turnovers, bad calls, etc.

The supporting points become no injuries (none, nada, no one), some ability to play defense well enough to keep scores close and as others have stated a resurected kicking game.

If we are successful this year we will win a lot of 14-10, 21-17 games. I don't see us winning a lot of 42-35 games.

100% accurate. This season's telling tale will be the talent shown by and the respect given to our head coach. How he and the players respond week-in, week-out will determine the short-term success of this program.

No depth on both sides of the ball, limited skill players, questionable special teams, brutal schedule, issues of "quitting" carrying over from the end of last season, no leadership stepping forward from upperclassmen, potential QB controversy, juggled offensive staff............any rational person would be girding their loins for what could be a very embarrassing season. Gailey is the coach who promised upon his hiring to keep the winning level of play as it currently was, with beating UGA and winning the ACC as our yearly goals. That sounds laughable now. Only a miracle will save Gailey at this point.
BOO

Pretty much nailed it with that one BOR. I agree 100% about the higher powers really hurting our program, but still have problems with CG allowing it to happen, but it's time to see what we can do. I'm really worried about being competitive this season. That's what will be terrible,...if the wheels come off early, in the face of this schedule, it could get real ugly. But, if we go with Ball at QB and if our LB's and DB's can fly around the field to make up for our undersized DL,...maybe we can surprise. If we're not competitive,...time to take a look at the whole program though.

GATA JACKETS

No depth on both sides of the ball, limited skill players, questionable special teams, brutal schedule, issues of "quitting" carrying over from the end of last season, no leadership stepping forward from upperclassmen, potential QB controversy, juggled offensive staff............any rational person would be girding their loins for what could be a very embarrassing season. Gailey is the coach who promised upon his hiring to keep the winning level of play as it currently was, with beating UGA and winning the ACC as our yearly goals. That sounds laughable now. Only a miracle will save Gailey at this point
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay bdg, I'll give you questionable depth at some positions, question marks on special teams, uncertainty at this point about QB. We did make some changes on the offensive staff, but most teams make some changes year to year. Personally I don't think it can hurt from last year.

But not sure I buy limited skill position players, not until I see the guys in action against competition. We thought Tony was questionable last year remember. Sure there are questions still about the "quitting" last year, but that's last year's team. And don't know that our seniors aren't providing leadership. You know something the rest of us don't?

That's the biggest problem I have with you ghost. You take real issues, as noted above, and then extrapolate that to other areas that are only assumptions you want to make about the team. We do have questions this year. And we do need guys to step up and play. But you've already decided they won't. Like I said before, you're a disgrace to Bobby Dodd's name and heritage. I wish you would get a new board name, you don't deserve to be associated with him.

I expect between three to five wins. The conference is up and we are down. We have questions marks at most of the key positions, QB, RB, DB, DL and in the kicking game. Sometimes, particularly when you have freshman in the mix, the questions are answered positively. But, we need positive play from so many unknowns and it does not seem reasonable to expect everyone to be a pleasant suprise (a.k.a Hollings last year).

BYU - win
Auburn - loss
Florida State - loss
Clemson - toss up
Vanderbilt - win
N.C. State - loss
Wake Forest - toss up, advantage Wake (based on that crazy scheme).
Maryland - loss
Duke - toss up, advantage Tech
UNC - toss up (youth v. youth)
Virginia - loss
Georgia - loss

I doubt Gailey will be fired after or during the season. Everyone realizes we are in a tough spot this year. I think he can survive a terrible record (2 or 3 wins) as long as the team plays tough and seems to progress.

My opinion here is offered based on several things:

1. This team MUST, MUST have stamina/endurance and courage/intestinal fortitude/guts. If this is not so; then chalk up a 3 and 8.

2. Is is my hope and anticipation that the team does have the heart it needs (see # 1)

3. We are due/overdue to have a passel of breaks over the season (this includes none to minimal injuries); if we do....watch out.

4. The 3 above coming true, I would look for 7 wins minimum.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No depth on both sides of the ball, limited skill players, questionable special teams, brutal schedule, issues of "quitting" carrying over from the end of last season, no leadership stepping forward from upperclassmen, potential QB controversy, juggled offensive staff............any rational person would be girding their loins for what could be a very embarrassing season. Gailey is the coach who promised upon his hiring to keep the winning level of play as it currently was, with beating UGA and winning the ACC as our yearly goals. That sounds laughable now. Only a miracle will save Gailey at this point
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay bdg, I'll give you questionable depth at some positions, question marks on special teams, uncertainty at this point about QB. We did make some changes on the offensive staff, but most teams make some changes year to year. Personally I don't think it can hurt from last year.

But not sure I buy limited skill position players, not until I see the guys in action against competition. We thought Tony was questionable last year remember. Sure there are questions still about the "quitting" last year, but that's last year's team. And don't know that our seniors aren't providing leadership. You know something the rest of us don't?

That's the biggest problem I have with you ghost. You take real issues, as noted above, and then extrapolate that to other areas that are only assumptions you want to make about the team. We do have questions this year. And we do need guys to step up and play. But you've already decided they won't. Like I said before, you're a disgrace to Bobby Dodd's name and heritage. I wish you would get a new board name, you don't deserve to be associated with him.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NC.. little disappointed that you've tossed out a personal attack on Ghost.. 'specially since BeeStorm made a reasonable request today regarding the hijacking of threads.. Was hoping you would "step up" & provide some "senior leadership" for the FOCers..

BeeBad and bdg, sorry if that's a personal attack. Just feel that someone who uses Bobby Dodd's name should espouse his philosophy, which was a remarkably positive attitude towards life and Tech sports. I won't let it happen again.

Bor..Ive said it before and i will say it again if we go 7-6 Gailey should be ACC coach of the year..if win 8 or 9 games he should be considered for national coach of the year honors..We are playing with a short hand this year but i like very much the outlook for the future..A.The apparent fix on the academic side The canning of Ms.Moore) B. The apparent momentum Gailey is starting to Build in regards to recruiting AND i think a Biggee is C. The staff he has put together and The fact Obrien is gone and Gailey is calling the plays...I think in time our recruiting in this state will pick up and combined with this staffs apparently great abilty to recruit in Florida..I think we can judge this years team by effort AND potential by potential i mean we will be a lot like Virginia and their growing pains they had the 1st 2 years with Coach Groh and playing all those True freshman but people could see the Rainbow at the end of the tunnel.....

Originally posted by ncjacket: Like I said before, you're a disgrace to Bobby Dodd's name and heritage. I wish you would get a new board name, you don't deserve to be associated with him.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with you on this NCJacket. BDG is a complete embaressment to all things good about Bobby Dodd. I imagine he is a dawg anyway, but if he is indeed a Tech fan, he doesn't know squat about the name he has taken on. Bobby Dodd would roll over in his grave about the things ghost posts on this board.

BDG, you are an embaressment.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No depth on both sides of the ball, limited skill players, questionable special teams, brutal schedule, issues of "quitting" carrying over from the end of last season, no leadership stepping forward from upperclassmen, potential QB controversy, juggled offensive staff............any rational person would be girding their loins for what could be a very embarrassing season. Gailey is the coach who promised upon his hiring to keep the winning level of play as it currently was, with beating UGA and winning the ACC as our yearly goals. That sounds laughable now. Only a miracle will save Gailey at this point

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NC.. little disappointed that you've tossed out a personal attack on Ghost.. 'specially since BeeStorm made a reasonable request today regarding the hijacking of threads.. Was hoping you would "step up" & provide some "senior leadership" for the FOCers..
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Give me a break. It's the flat out truth, it;s not an attack. Go read anything about Bobby Dodd, Dodd's Luck, etc. and then tell me that BDG represents that name well. He's an embaressment.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hello pot. Meet kettle.

Back