FAREWELL ...

AFRJacket

Varsity Lurker
Greetings,

I'm writing to announce my departure from Air Force Reserve Command and the US of A. This will be my last opportunity to correspond with you for some time. I would have let you know sooner, but circumstances wouldn't allow.

I was offered an exciting new job opportunity last week and I needed to make a quick decision to secure this new position. What you heard is true Goldtimer, I've decided to manage a soccer team! I realize this may come as a shock, but I've always secretly harbored such a desire.

You know how much I love sports and I could not turn down this once in a lifetime opportunity to fulfill a personal dream. The team is based in northern Brazil.

This is a very poor and remote area of the country with the nearest city being 120 miles away. Communications are primitive by western standards, the infrastructure antiquated and living standards austere. In addition, the area suffers from torrential rainstorms.

Despite all this, I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead. One my top job priorities is to be in close contact with the team, day and night. We will adopt a George O'Leary-style closed training camp regime with no outside contact, except when playing games. This will allow ample opportunity for me to focus on individual players and the team as a whole.

I'm looking forward to the close bonds this will create. Both the players and I understand we must be prepared to give as well as receive.

It will be just me and the team, 24 hours a day. Wish me luck!!!! If you're interested I have linked a team photo.

www.gt-sportsfan.net/imag...s/Team.jpg

Link changed to G rating. :-)

Cheers,

AFRJacket

I certainly wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will have access to a net connection and can pop in when possible.

Keep your head down!

AFR Jacket, good luck in your endeavor. I hope you have a successful career. Don't forget us at GT.

blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

Good, you can keep us up to date on your soccer team. We did not play soccer at school back during my time.

My son wanted to play soccer one year when he was about 11, I guess. The coach had no one to help him, so I volunteered since my son was playing.

I knew nothing about soccer, but it seemed no different from the other sports so I jumped right in to help.

I thought I was in good shape. Sometimes there were not enough kids there to form two teams for practice, so the coach and I would fill in so they could have enough to practice.

I will tell you this, it is a much more demanding sport than basketball or football as far as being in shape. Gee, you run all the way up the field and some jerk kicks the ball all the way down to the other end.

By the time you get back down there some jerk has kicked it back to the original end of the field. I am glad they did not have soccer back in my day.

Father Time

AFR, are you sure you'll have time? I mean, day and night of close contact and instruction.... Course, I know the flag has to come down occasionally, but you should use that time to restore your precious bodily fluids. We'll be fine until you can give us a full report.

And be careful. I understand they don't have bedbugs down there, they have bed piranhas .

Hey AFRJacket, do you need a "water boy"
or maybe a trainer?

Better than that can I be the guy who sprays
the water on the team jerseys?

"Griff"

Originally posted by law_bee:
I certainly wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will have access to a net connection and can pop in when possible.

Keep your head down!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great advice law_bee! This area is to remote, way too much for one man to handle. We can't let you go alone. Where do we sign up?

AFR, I spit up my milk when I saw the picture in the email you sent.

BTW, check out the thread on 'tailgating'. One seems to think he can 'out-rowdy' us at O'Keefe!
smile.gif

I was going to tell him about a member of our group who was nearly run out of the gym by a referee last year but the details of that incident escape me now!

Buena suerta, hermano. Bienvinido y venga a ver nosotros unas vezes en Stingtalk and Hive.

Stay close to God and come to see us as often as you can.

God's blessings on you,
Bill Vinson
smile.gif

2BT: Yes, I think I recall that incident better than you and vice versa at a game later in the year.
pat.gif

Good luck with your GOL practice mentality, keep us informed on your team's performance, stay safe and enjoy your new career!!
drinking.gif
blue.gif

LOL! Phone's been ringing off the hook for volunteer assts, photographers, managers, ...

And yes, I think the PPP would offer the best setting, don't you?
blue.gif

Back