Favorite Play?

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Thought it would be fun if everyone posted a picture of their favorite play and tell something significant about it. Mine was Godsey to Watkins at Memorial Stadium in 2000. What a game! What a catch! What a memory!

Clemson2000_Kerry_Watkins.jpg

I can't produce any pictures, but two of the most memorable plays in the recent past is the fumble at the goal line in the UGA game and the one handed catch in the end zone to beat Clemson.

blue.gif

The long TD catch by Campbell from Hamilton for our first touchdown in our droughtbreaker in Athens was huge. Until that point the Dogs had
dominated us but that play turned things around.
But as far as the top play that I have seen in all those long years of attending the Jackets would take some long reflection. The Mike Mcnames nine yard TD run against the Joe Namath led NO.1
ranked Alabama Crimson Tide in 1962 was huge as it was the only TD for us in a 7-6 win. But just as big was McNames tackle of Tide QB Jack Hurlburt
on the one yard line on a two point effort to preserve the victory. Just as big was Don Toner's
interception of a Joe Namath pass near our goal line with about 45 seconds to play. Two of the greatest games by Tech was was the 1952 and the 1962 wins over the Tide. In the 1952 game little Jake Rudolph{all 155 pounds of him] Tackled Alabama all-american RB Bobby Marlow at our own 3 yard line to preserve a 7-3 win. My Tech friends I have seen so many classics that I still am confused as to which individual play that I would choose as THE biggest play of all. Back then I would never dreamed that The great Tech Machine would sputter so much have we have seen for the last 37 years. I probably won't live long enough to see our program return to such consistency again. But no one can take the memories of the games that I have witnessed at Bobby Doddy stadium
and many other stadiums through the southeast.

Oh yes! That's what it's all about! Thank you for sharing your memories! More, more!

how bout godsey's 33 yard td run against all those #1 draft picks?

Back in the 1950's we had a ball carrier by the name of Billy Teas. I can remember how he would take the ball and charge into a monstrous pileup in front of him and somehow come out of the back of it and still run for a TD. He was so good at this, we would yell "Teas up the Pile". Of course I never really thought this was drawn up to be run this way but it always seemed to work. Who knows, maybe ol' Bobby Dodd had more tricks than we thought.

Gary Lee's was a 104 yard kickoff return in the fog and that was very beautiful indeed. That was in 1985 I believe. I held my breath from the time he fielded the kick until he crossed the goal line. What a play.

I was at the GT/CU game with the catch sitting in a CU section on the visitors side...I had been watching my manners not wanting to get beaten up beecause the only GT fans around me were a little boy whose dad was not really paying attn to the game, the little boy keep yelling Sting'em Jackets!....and a guy with GT attire with his wife in CU attire. So after kinda being quiet throughout the game....then the catch in the endzone happened!!!
.... I couldnt contain myself. I was jumping up and down and took off to the GT exit area.... and chanted with all the other Jacket fans... ITS GREAT TO BEE A YELLOW JACKET!!!! Awesome moment!!!

romegajacket, Billy Teas was indeed a dandy and you were right on in your description of his ability to disappear in a crowd and then break free for big runs. Another great little back that possessed those characteristics was Leon Hardeman
who was like trying to tackle a MANHOLE COVER at 5'6" but all muscle. Tech has quite a history for producing great small players who were simply amazing. I had better stop before I bore everyone but there was still another tiny running back that was absolutely fabulous and he was little Jimmy Thompson from Alabama who broke a 57 yard TD run against Auburn on his first career run against an Alabama team. What a player.

Back