"Fellowship of the Miserable" or negative fans

GT_Dean

Jolly Good Fellow
\"Fellowship of the Miserable\" or negative fans

Link

Our own Bill Curry on negative fans.

[ QUOTE ]
The loudest fan group of all (I didn't say the largest, just the most vociferous), the ones I call the "Fellowship of the Miserable," will go beyond laughter. They are the purveyors of ridicule and dissension, and enjoy compensating for their own insecurities by belittling anyone who attempts great things. These are the people who were the bullies on the playground as long as they could pick on the smaller kids. They are the ones who bragged about going out for football, then quit after a couple of weeks because they could not handle the gut checks of two-a-day practices. They will take two hours to tell you about the knee injury that prevented their making All-American at State U.

They come from every walk of life and worm their way into alumni groups, faculties, administration, locker rooms, training rooms, academic support systems and uncertain psyches. At times they are parents or other relatives of players. Believe it or not, some are members of the media. They can infect the team and change the environment. Their behavior is similar to a virus that destroys the hard drive in a computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't see it linked below.

Re: \"Fellowship of the Miserable\" or negative fans

If you believe that, you're just accepting mediocrity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

One thing's for sure; Bill Curry is an expert at dealing with negative fans.

I still hate the sob for walking out on Tech, even if Bobby Dodd did urge him to leave.
I used to think Bill Curry and Pat Boone were one in the same.

when Curry left he was burned out on Tech(I saw him at first of tenure and end so trust me on this) and we were burned out on him to some extent.Win for both.

[ QUOTE ]
when Curry left he was burned out on Tech....Win for both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on the win for us, and I believe you on the burnout factor,... but jumping into the Ala environment?

(Sorry for breaking up your quote)

Curry has never been burnt out on TECH. He thought he had a jump to the NFL after his buddy Ray Perkins did it somewhat successfully from Bama to the NYGiants. Do the math nerds.

[ QUOTE ]
Do the math nerds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did this come from. Eat Me.

Ray Perkins = NY Giants
Bill (Holier than though) Curry = getting his ass stomped at kenturkey. Good move coach Bill.

Pocket, not a flame but can i ask you how long you have been a Tech fan?

[ QUOTE ]
Pocket, not a flame but can i ask you how long you have been a Tech fan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe longer than you John. We don't know each other but I played for Jim Luck in the late '70s.

Somehow, people like to figure school allegiance in others to length of time on this board. But for me, I had to change user name here becuse it was easier when I changed my internet providor.

Am curious as to why you "challenge" me.

Anyone who hates Bill Curry deserves to be questioned. He did his best for Tech as a player and a coach, and he loves Tech. He made a grab at what he considered to be the Big Time. He is a great teacher and a good person.

Should Florida fans hate Steve Spurrier because after he played his tail off and coached his tail off there he made a grab at his idea of the Big Time?

Bill Curry was a Tech hall of fame player under Dodd.
Curry was a great player in the NFL for the Packers and Colts.

Bill Curry was spoon fed by Bobby Dodd as HC when he marched gloriously home to Tech.
During his tenure, Doug Weaver the AD, and the president, Joe Petit, seriously considered dropping out of D-1 in football.
Thank goodness for Todd Rampley and the All American Bowl win.
Bill Curry hauled tail to Ala.

Thankfully, Homer Rice was able to get Bobby Ross on the phone before he went to work in Buffalo. Many won't remember what Ross had to say when he was hired, but remarked what an HONOR it was to be head coach at the school where Bobby Dodd coached.

I am sure that Bill Curry is a swell guy, but I don't like him. He's a fake in my opinion.
For me, subject closed. Sorry to have offended any Curry worshipers.

Hey Gnats

I think you missed the bumper stickers: It takes a Giant to replace the Bear

Perkins came from the Giants to Bama.

Re: Hey Gnats

That's right and then from Bammer to Tampa Bay. Thanks for the correction.

I think this is an excellent article. How come there's not one positive remark in this thread?

He gives validation that what we, as fans, do has an impact on our own players.

[ QUOTE ]

Bill Curry hauled tail to Ala.

Many won't remember what Ross had to say when he was hired, but remarked what an HONOR it was to be head coach at the school where Bobby Dodd coached.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then he hauled tail to the Chargers - why don't you HATE Bobby Ross too?

Who recruited all those offensive lineman who made our team so great in 1990? How come our offensive line stunk in 1991 - could it be because Bill Curry's linemen were all gone?

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure that Bill Curry is a swell guy, but I don't like him. He's a fake in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a fake in my opinion.

1) Bobby Ross went to the NFL. Considering the era in which Curry played at Tech, going to Ala was like going to uga.

2) Lets see, Curry left after '86. Bobby Ross won a championship in 1990. Are you really saying that the champion team was Curry's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol2.gif

3) Am Not, but you are. Na na na na na na!

Seriously, I do not care for Bill Curry for reason number 1. I understand and admire his strong faith.
Even though I was not a big anti Curry as a coach guy, I still have nightmares about that home Auburn game (loss) when all he called was off guard and off tackle when we needed only a first down or 2. Bob Jackson beat us late with an 80 something yard run.

Bill Curry's best asset as HC was DC Don Lindsey, who Curry of course took to Ala.
While Tech still had some talent, its a long reach to think that he left a full cupboard for Bobby Ross.

yeah and a couple of those plays were run right behind me at RT and i begged the coaches not to run it because they head the DL stacked. Oh well thanks for bringing up the bad memories. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

I can understand not liking Curry for leaving and I can undrestand not thinking he was that good of a coach. But anyone who hates Bill Curry has serious problems. He's probably the most impressive man I've ever met.

Heh. Good post GTDean.

[ QUOTE ]
But anyone who hates Bill Curry has serious problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% with this statement, and will say that I am/was vehemently opposed to the way he left, and to where he left for. At the time it screamed... I am going to the big time now!! Thanks for everything Tech, see ya later...

At least, that's the way I felt. I found/find it beautifully fitting that the little league program he left for the big leagues won the trophy 4 years later.

Hate, absolutely not! In retrospect, things could not have turned out better.

Back